• This topic has 20 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by MrK.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • tyre for for trail centres/spanish rocks/pentland grit??
  • MrK
    Free Member

hello everyone,

i’m after a tyre for the rear of my hard tail, something not too draggy, fairly light and that isn’t afraid of rocks. i have a 2.4″ racing ralph on the rear and it’s such a drag – it’s just too damn large! and the sidewalls are paper-thin. what do people think?

thanks!

MrK
    Free Member

no one got any tips huh?

simonralli2
    Free Member

It’s not really the Spanish rocks that will get you. It’s the Spanish thorns as well. In Spain I have been running re-inforced 2.4 Michelin from Decathlon, but then access to a wide range of tyres is limited here and they cost a fortune to import via CRC or Wiggle etc.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Conti Gravities?

caledonia
    Free Member

Maxxis Advantage !!!

Perfect combination of grip etc and in 2.1 fast rolling.

uplink
    Free Member

If the RR is too draggy – I think your’re stuffed
    Try some more air – I’d go tubless too

mikey74
    Free Member

I used 2.3 Conti Vertical Protections the first time I went to Spain and they seemed fine. May want to go with heavier inner tubes though, such as Maxxis Freerides.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

For spanish thorns I would be tempted to go tubeless. About the only reason I can see to deal with the faff factor

MrK
    Free Member

If the RR is too draggy – I think your’re stuffed

well, it is the 2.4″ version…

gonna try tubeless and see. think i might try some 2.3″ contis too… thank you everyone!

chakaping
    Free Member

2.4in Conti Mountain Kings (Protection version) may be the answer.

Great in Spain, very rocky, roll fast for a wide-ish tyre – and come up a big narrower than specified anyway.

MrK
    Free Member

thanks! being try to find some – quite pricey! anyone know a cheapish stockist?

Trekster

tubeless in Spain = more faff when it does go wrong from what I`ve seen

doug_basqueMTB.com

We don’t have the crazy thorns of the south but there’s still a few. I use tubeless and have had one puncture this year, must have ridden way over 120 days. I recommend tubeless.

garnyam
    Free Member

See jlc’s topic for my Spanish choice.

Northwind

Can’t speak for spain but I love my nevegals for the pentlands, they just deal with it (2.1). 2.1 Nevegal rear, 2.35 Blue Groove front for trail centre use. I’ve tried a couple of others to try and get some speed back into the ride but these are the keepers.

rickmeister

Marco at Ciclo Montana uses Maxxis Larsen Lust UST, mainly for the thorns……

cynic-al
    Free Member

All other things being equal, bigger tyres have less rolling resistance.

I’ve used 2.4 RR’s and found them fast enough, I used them tubeless though (std tyres that is). They’re light also – and have vulnerable sidewalls.

MrK
    Free Member

All other things being equal, bigger tyres have less rolling resistance

i read that ‘scientific’ paper on the schwalbe website – i can kinda see the logic but it certainly doesn’t seem to bear out from experience.

i wish they still made irc missiles… 🙁

Northwind

Yeah, depends on the tyre. Just compared 2.1 and 2.35 Blue Grooves back to back and there’s no room for doubt, the 2.35 is like riding through toffee- decided to try them at glentress today and I barely made it to the top! Like having the brakes on all the time. Some tyres just enlarge the same tread so don’t give the results quoted on schwalbe.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I ran WTB Dissent DH tyres on Stans Flow rims tubeless. Tough and puncture free.

MrK
    Free Member

i got some 2.4″ conti mountain kings – super quick around glentress! bit slippy on greasy wet rocks, but oh so much fun! looking forward to beating them in southern spain next week 😀

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘tyre for for trail centres/spanish rocks/pentland grit??’ is closed to new replies.