Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Tyre contact on turbo trainers
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

Set up new turbo and found rear wheel slips a bit, I try and use relatively little contact between the turbo and the tyre but realised I’m not sure how much pressure I should have between the two. Part of the problem is a flat spot in my tyre* and wonder whether throwing more money at a solution ie tyre or just increase contact until the area with the flat spot doesn’t lose contact?

*possibly the wheel I guess

jamiec360
    Free Member

Does the roller have a tension adjuster? Tighten it up and pull the roller closer to the tyre but watch out for heat build up blew apart a tyre (and the side of the rim) years ago when I was actually fit and used a trainer in the winter.

Or get one of the trainer specific tyres and stick it on an old cheap wheel.

aracer
    Free Member

Trainer specific tyre. Just enough tyre contact force so that it doesn’t slip. Job done.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Damn it more money!

kilo

On our turbo it is adjust till the roller is touching the tyre then two full turns of the adjusting wheel to get a good grip – what do the instructions say. never had to use a turbo tyre just an old wheel and tyre

fontmoss
    Free Member

yeah I just wonder if that is bit tight/overkill? might try swapping front and rear tyres and see if that helps

MrGreedy

Trainer specific tyre will save you money in the long run – turbos will eat through normal tyres in no time.

MarkN
    Free Member

I banged a roadie tyre on from Decathlon. So far so good

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Tyre contact on turbo trainers’ is closed to new replies.