Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • "Twisted" Larsen
  • Shandy
    Free Member

I stuck a new Larsen on there, the casing seems to be a bit twisted. I have checked the rim and its straight as a die, as are the markings around the edge of the bead. Its a new folder, can I expect it to stretch itself out a bit or is it a faulty tyre?

Normally I'd just ride it and see what happens but the first proper ride it gets will be Kielder on Saturday.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Is it seated properly?

peachos
    Free Member

i've had a tyre before (Halo Choir Master) that was seated correctly but despite my best efforts I could not get rid of the wobble it had. Put it down to a fault with the manuf, but the tyre still performed as it should. is this what yours is doing?

elliptic
    Free Member

Sometimes you just need to pump it up to 60 psi to make sure it's *really* seated.

(Then let it back down to sensible pressure. Dont forget that bit.)

Shandy
    Free Member

Its tubeless on a Crest rim, its holding air no problem and the bead is evenly seated all the way round, I'm pretty sure its either a faulty tyre or it just needs to stretch out a bit, I'm hoping the latter.

D0NK

you positive the bead is seated uniformly all the way round? UST could be not seated correctly and still hold air. Only time I've seen this is from the bead not being seated or a damaged tyre casing causing a bulge.

Shandy
    Free Member

Its definitely seated, all the way round, both sides. The little cross-hatched bit of the bead between the sidewall and the rim is an even depth. When I unfolded it last night I thought it looked a bit mis-shapen at some of the folds, but it had 50 psi in it with a tube overnight to stretch it out and it went up alright with a track pump.

sv

UST could be not seated correctly and still hold air

Had this on a Flow/High Roller combo – some washing up liquid and a bit of extra pressure sorted it.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i don't think it will stretch out. if its noticable by eye then it wont be ok.

kendas used to be quite bad for this.

Shandy
    Free Member

Sometimes you just need to pump it up to 60 psi to make sure it's *really* seated.

Stan's solution all over the flowerbeds! 😆

It blew off, its back on with 40 psi in it but its all over the place, I think the tyre is f*cked.

uplink
    Free Member

I blew a High Roller off a Stan's 355 rim by going over 50 with it
    I don't think those rims are quite designed for that sort of treatment

When mine went it wrecked the tyre & put the wheel out of true

Shandy
    Free Member

Yep the wheel itself has a wobble now, LBS time.

elliptic
    Free Member

…Yikes.

Okay, errrm, I take that suggestion back 😳

My Bonty rims always need that process to seat the tyre (currently Maxxis, run tubeless but non-UST) but I've never had one blow off the rim.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I have two non tubeless Larsen TTs hung up in my garage that both have wobbly tread.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I've got a Nobby Nic that's always had a kink in it.

Shandy
    Free Member

I swore I'd never get another Larsen, the last one I had ripped badly on a pretty tame section of trail. I really like them as a rear tyre but I think they're a wee bit fragile in the sidewalls. Obviously my ham-fistedness was a contributing factor in this case.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘"Twisted" Larsen’ is closed to new replies.