Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • TV's buy now or wait?
  • Zedsdead
    Free Member

I've seen a pretty decent looking Samsung 32" LCD TV for what looks like a good price (£320 for the LE32B450) but I don't know much about these things? Should I just go get it or should I wait and hope that my old CRT can hold out a few months longer as something better is just around the corner?

The reason I'm looking at it is our old crt is getting a bit of a dodgy connection at the back. I was looking at buying a new tv around November/December anyway…

Hairychested
    Free Member

If you look online, sometime you can find a 37" version for the same money (we did a while ago with a web voucher for Dixons).

fisha
    Free Member

There are new technologies on the horizon, yes. But they are still very expensive, and it would be a long time till they trickle down to being mainstream. There is also no real definitive next best technology path that seems to be the way all TV's will go.

TV's are always releasing new models month after month, holding off for the next best thing to be released in the near future will only make you wait and wait and wait. You'd might as well buy what you can now(ish)

That being said, dont be jumping in to the first thing you see, if your old TV is still working, then take the time to look around and see whats out there and see what you need and like. There are big differences in picture quality between makes and models.

There is also the issue of what you are going to feed the TV with in terms of a signal … again, that makes big differences to the picture quality, so look into that too … even a better cable for the sake of £10 over a cheaper cable can make pictures look better.

Personally, if i was going for a TV these days I would want as a minimum

native 1080p ability ( 1920×1080 resolution basically )
    LCD ( or LED, but thats out your budget )
    HDMI or some other digital inputs ( display port etc )

Zedsdead
    Free Member

thanks for the good advice. I shall start having a proper look. It seems like there are millions of models out there…

Lanesra
    Free Member

You're better off looking here – uber geeky (much like the bike forum) but they know there stuff and usually throw up tele's no one else would reccomend

polarisandy
    Free Member

looking where?
    Here?

Lanesra
    Free Member
    montylikesbeer

I got a "my mums" Teknica from tesco, 37" 1080p (proper hi def) for £350.00

It will do me until LED hidef comes out in a couple of years.

at 37" 1080p set should be ………………see here for a brand bit of kit

richer sounds telly

xherbivorex
    Free Member

if you're sticking to 32" panel size, there's no point getting 1080p over 720p as you will hardly notice any difference (other than price).

monkeychild
    Free Member

I bought a Panasonic 32" LCD last October and it's ace. The picture quality is immense cost me £499 from amazon a whole £200 cheaper than anywhere else!

mudshark
    Free Member

For some reason I seem to have decided that a Panasonic plasma screen is the way to go.

TheChunk
    Free Member

The Samsung you've mentioned has excellent reviews, I'll be getting onw when I've got the spare pennies.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘TV's buy now or wait?’ is closed to new replies.