Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • TV Licensing letter to a work address?
  • ski
    Free Member

Just started to get these letters coming to our 2nd floor office work address:

We don’t watch any live TV content here, (as if we have the time!)

But from the letter it seems that because we use computers or have mobiles that can access live content, we have to pay?

donsimon
    Free Member

But you do have the ability to do so by using the interweb, don’t you? And isn’t that their way of doing business? You have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that you have no physical means for receiving the signal.
    After taking into account the quality provided by a licence financed advertisement free TV picture provider….

toppers3933
    Free Member

i believ this is the case if they have a tv tuner card in them.

from tvlicencing.co.uk;

The Wireless Telegraphy Act 1967 (as amended) requires television dealers to notify TV Licensing of all their sales and rentals of television sets. This includes analogue and digital TV sets, DVD and video recorders, digital boxes and computers (including laptops) with TV cards.

MSP

Tell them when they can visit, show them round quickly, then show them the door.

They are just trying it on, some people are easily scared and just pay up.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Is it addressed to anyone?
    Could be that someone bought a tv etc and used the work address.

ski
    Free Member

Steve-Austin – Member

Is it addressed to anyone?
    Could be that someone bought a tv etc and used the work address.

Its addressed to ‘The Manager’

toppers3933
    Free Member

screw it up and file it in the bin.

LHS
    Free Member

Tell them to get f***ed – as per company rules, staff are not allowed to watch TV at work.

misterfrostie
    Free Member

I had a load of hassle like this when I bought a TV through work as a draw prize. Just ring them and say its not being used for TV viewing and you should be OK.

donsimon
    Free Member

digital boxes and computers (including laptops) with TV cards.

Wouldn’t that have more to do with watching live broadcast than anything? And I’ve just been watching the BBC live without a TV card or with a TV card built in to the laptop, putting us back into the assumption that everyone is guilty unless they can prove their absolute innocence.

ski
    Free Member

putting us back into the assumption that everyone is guilty unless they can prove their absolute innocence.

True and I guess its a tricky one to prove your innocent?

poly
    Free Member

But from the letter it seems that because we use computers or have mobiles that can access live content, we have to pay?

Where does it say that?

It says “it is criminal offence for anyone to plug in and watch or record television programmes on your premises at the same time as they are shown on TV using any device…”

Personally I would simply ignore it and let them waste their time investigating. If you were concerned about the license fee and the effectiveness of the state broadcaster to do its job on limited funds you might give them a ring to clarify that they need not bother you again.

ski
    Free Member

Your right Poly, my first post was a bit vague, it clearly mentions if ‘watching live content’.

I guess the problem is, how do we prove we don’t?

maccruiskeen

don’t ignore it, as the letter says you can let them know you don’t need a license – fill that in and they’ll leave it at that.

how do we prove we don’t?

state that you don’t, that’ll be sufficient. Short of standing over your shoulder as you watch ‘Bargain Hunt’ on the bog, how do they prove that you do?

The licencing folk are just going through the land register writing to every business address. I got the same letter addressed to the semi derelict barn where I store my kit.

wrecker
    Free Member

how do we prove we don’t?

They must prove that you do, shirley?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘TV Licensing letter to a work address?’ is closed to new replies.