Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Turning to the dark side. Wearing baggies is this bad form?
  • lungman

Just got my first road bike and I own no lycra at all :-). Ridden flats last few years so a little apprehensive about being clipped in, and by god the gyres look thin. Biggest question if I wear my baggies is this bad form and frowned apon or is it purely wind resistance?

thomthumb
    Free Member

do you care?

but yes.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Wear what you like.

Baggies on a road bike is all kinds of wrong though.

RealMan
    Free Member

Get some lycra. Its more comfortable, its faster, its less annoying, it doesn’t catch on anything, and people won’t think what they’ve been thinking so far.

Mister-P
    Free Member

People who wear baggies on road bikes are worried about the size of their package. Embrace the tightness 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

If we told you it was bad form would you then not do it?

Mister-P
    Free Member

If you feel a little self concious just remember you probably look better than this.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Never seen Darth Vadar in a pair of baggies. Does that help?

clubber
    Free Member

The main problem with wearing baggies is that if you ride with other roadies, they’ll probably read it as the typical “I really want you to know I’m an mtber and will wear these even though there’s no practical reason to do so”. You know – from the sort of numpty that posts on here saying that they overtook 30 roadies on the road while riding their DH bike and wearing baggies…

mogrim

Get some lycra. Its more comfortable, its faster, its less annoying, it doesn’t catch on anything, and people won’t think what they’ve been thinking so far.

Don’t know about the last point, and if you’re riding on your own it’s hardly a major issue, but the rest of what RealMan says is spot on. Get some.

Haze

Baggies look silly with overshoes.

traildog
    Free Member

I sometimes wear baggies on my road bike but just if I’m going a very short distance (to the shops or commuting). They flap about, cause chaffing and are generally quite annoying.

PJ266
    Free Member

Its actually really good to ride in.

I now dislike wearing baggies when Im riding the mtb though 🙁

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Is it really that small?

lungman

Cheers guys kinda what I thought, hope I look better than that chap mr P

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I didn’t wear lyrca before i started road riding, now a total convert, and as above, don’t like wear baggies on the mtb/running now. Lyrca makes me feel faster which is a good thing. 8)

RealMan
    Free Member

Baggies look silly with overshoes.

I’ve rocked that look before (not on the road bike though of course).

It did not look good. Shoes were clean at the end though.

lungman

Cheers guys kinda what I thought, hope I look better than that chap mr P

rOcKeTdOg

who cares, it’s just riding a bike

billybob
    Free Member

baggies all time – I’ve never seem the need to look more of a ***** on a road bike than I do on a mountain bike.

As long as you are having fun I say wear what you like – even if it’s a gimp suit!

MrTall
    Free Member

I always wear baggies on my road bike it doesn’t bother me remotely.

I do ride on my own on the road though. I just can’t bring myself to wear lycra, especially with my legs. It probably is more comfortable but i still can’t see myself wearing it at any time soon.

mogrim

This threads 16hrs old, and noones complained about the use of “dark-side”?

This forum really is going downhill. Next youll be telling me the grammar pedants have all gone home too.

brakes
    Free Member

I don’t wear lycra, wear baggies all the time, although they’re not that baggy!
    Wear what you want.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If your fat/worried about the size of your cock/a bit of a wimp, then wear your baggy shorts.

Real men wear lycra

gonefishin
    Free Member

youll

you’ll

😉

sefton
    Free Member

I always laughed at the Lycra brigade, that was before I got a road bike. baggys & high speed on open roads can be a little bit drafty if you get me! 😆

epicyclo

Roadies don’t wear baggies.

That’s because it’s harder to sniff each others bums when they wear baggies.

Tiger6791

It’s fine, it sends out a subliminal message that says:

“Yes, I’m a mountain biker but to achieve bad ass fitness I train on the road as well… Fear me and my funny non aerodynamic helmet and the fact I WILL NEVER, EVER, EVER shave my legs as I am a man with diginity!”

_tom_
    Free Member

My first “proper” road bike will be arriving today and I have no intentions of wearing anything other than baggies (with padded undershorts for longer rides). I would look and feel ridiculous in lycra.

clubber
    Free Member

You’ll look ridiculous in baggies too 😉

_tom_
    Free Member

If you’d seen me you’d realise that lycra would be far worse 😆

Haze

No you won’t, you’ll just look like someone on a road bike.

wwaswas

with padded undershorts for longer all rides

fixed that for you.

you’ll find road bikes aren’t terribly cushioned.

_tom_
    Free Member

Been riding a Langster since August with baggies + boxers, fine for around 15-20 miles.

Mister-P
    Free Member

“I would look and feel ridiculous in lycra.”

You will look ridiculous on a road bike in baggies. So as you are on to a loser anyway why not go with the most comfortable option?

_tom_
    Free Member

lol. I will feel more comfortable wearing baggies.

Stuey01
    Free Member

All MTB’ers start out like this (except XC whippets), I know I did. Eventually you will embrace the lycra, and will be glad you did.

Only time I wear baggies on a road bike now is commuting. I’m not quite ready for my colleagues to get a full lycra show every morning and evening.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I won’t embrace the lycra in public, padded undershorts is as far as I go. But then I only ride my road bike to commute or on the turbo as a means to get fitter.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I’m not quite ready for my colleagues to get a full lycra show every morning and evening.

my colleagues are so used to it they will start a meeting with me in my tights – i often have to stop them and go change

dustytrails

I guess I must be getting old……..Some of you newbies may not remember but….Back in the day (when I started mountan biking) we wore lycra – some was really gash bright stuff (I never went in for garish colours!!) Baggies came later.
    Lycra on tarmac (IT WORKS) & baggies for dirt. Simple

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Turning to the dark side. Wearing baggies is this bad form?’ is closed to new replies.