Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Turbo's – any particular routine or just get on and pedal?
  • chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Picked up one of the Elite Turbo Trainer’s on offer at Halfords a few weeks ago, all set up in garage ready for a bit of much needed exercise and weight loss 😆

Question is, am I best to just get on and pedal or is there any decent routines out there I should follow?

Looking at spending an hour each evening on it, don’t have a HRM but willing to invest in one if you think it’s worthwhile. Cheers.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Sufferfest is easy to turn on and pedal to.

I struggled a bit with HRMs on the turbo, unless you are trying to hold it in a certain range for a decent amount of time.

If you’re doing intervals, the lag makes it hard to gauge effort, as I’m too poor for a power meter, I tried to best guess with HR.

natrix
    Free Member

Sufferfest

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Sufferfest. 15 quid HRM from Lidl.

downthemiddle
    Free Member

Na, you have to mix it up, or you’ll never stick it through boredom. The benefits of turbo training are gained through hard Intervals. OK you could class a 45 minute flat out time trial effort of one of your sessions. But normally you should be mixing Efforts with recoveries in various combo’s

Oli Beckinsale, speaks a lot of sense in this video
    Oli Beckinsale on turbo training

Also loads of workouts to try here

turbo training worlouts

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’m surprised it’s not been mentioned… TrainerRoad

Worth investing in a speed and cadence sensor and an ant+ USB stick. Laptop in front of the turbo and you’ll be on your way.

Just getting on and pedalling will get very boring quickly. Working to an interval programme is a lot more bearable.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Na, you have to mix it up, or you’ll never stick it through boredom

not sure who or what the “na” was aimed at, the point of Sufferfest is there’s loads of em. They do an introductory 3-pack which is good value and includes Downward Spiral (sets of intervals of decreasing duration), and the videos themselves are entertaining which staves off the boredom.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Sufferfest on TrainerRoad, the virtual power is better to follow than RPE

you’ll have to do a 8/20 minute test though

Northwind

I keep it really simple, tv program and headphones, ride for as long as the program as hard as I can with long intervals so it doesn’t need much thinking about. Best way? Definitely not. But better than my alternative which is not bothering at all. Sufferfest I found just as dull and unpleasant as any other dull unpleasant turbo ritual tbh.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Turbo's – any particular routine or just get on and pedal?’ is closed to new replies.