Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Turbo Trainers
  • willard

I’m possibly in the market for a turbo trainer (now that I have a nice new garage to caveify), but the market seems to be crammed with lots of different models, makes and types.

Can anyone recommend me a decent one that’s going to let me keep up some semblance of a training routine even when I can’t get to the gym?

Cheers.

meehaja
    Free Member

a cheap second hand one as you’ll probably stop using it asap! get one that has an adjuster that can be attached to the bike (some old ones like mine don’t have this and its annoying!). Minoura are quite good.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Tacx Flow, and you can eventually upgrade to imagic if you wish. I’ve used (cheaper) mechanical adjusted types that use gel or oil and they simply can not match the magnetic ‘break’ of the flow.

+ they don’t piss oil onto your floor when the go wrong (the cheap ones).

I’ve had mine for 6 years trouble free beasting. Touch screen adjustment, power readings and the like.

Only gripe is you can’t download data to PC….perhaps on the new(er) versions.

Get one, they’re ace.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Oh,

You can not use an MTB tyre, has to be a slick.

MSP

I don’t see the point of adjusters, change resistance by changing gears.

A reasonable fluid one is probably quietest, and you will also need some sufferfest videos and using trainer road as well it becomes a great training tool.

I have a kinetic road machine, which is pretty decent quality, but I don’t think its anything special there are others of equal quality.

AndyP
    Free Member

This. Roads are flat anyway aren’t they? there’s no such thing as hills…

thomthumb
    Free Member

allows you to train at a fixed cadence.

MSP

allows you to train at a fixed cadence.

So how does changing resistance by using gears differ to changing resistance at the flywheel effect the ability to keep the same cadence or not as wanted?

or are you saying that you increase resistance at the flywheel, then cancel it out using your gears?

willard

Just seen the price of the Tacx Flow ones… Shocked. I’m now trying to work out whether such an investment can be a) hidden from, and b) justified to, my wife. Somehow I doubt it.

I think I might just have to get home earlier and take the bike out more instead, despite the mud/rain/filth that such a move usually entails.

thomthumb
    Free Member

sorry i mean different fixed cadences – without getting off the bike.

often do 2×20 mins @ HR level 3. 1st cadence of 50, 2nd cadence 90+ means massive difference in resistance; gears alone is not enough.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Main success factor is turbo entertainment. You need TV/DVD etc or your very unlikely to keep using the turbo. I got mine free from a guy who had it setup in garage. 45 mins staring at the garage door isn’t fun. I have mine sat in front TV, DVD that works 🙂 Have considered the multi player tacx for same reason. Competing online seemed like fun. Anyone have any experience of online competition ?

Pauly

+1 for Tacx Flow. Lifetime warranty on the rollers too, and upgradeable.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve a minoura hypermag (no onger made but theres probably an equivalent model).

Previously I had a cyclops MAG and the minoura’s better. Quieter, and has more resistance, and it’s adjustable.

MSP – Member

I thought this originaly until I bought one, there is a different feeling pushing a big gear at 60rpm, Vs a small gear and big resistance ar 60rpm, probably to do with the inertia of the flywheel making changes in pace different between the two setups so pedaling in a low gear forces you to push through the ded spots or the flywheel stops (like climbing on the road). It’s also a lot quieter pushing a lower gear with the resistance cranked up, so it’s possible to watch a DVD without headphones or an anti-socialy loud stereo.

That and the minoura is grader Low-1-2-…7-high, so doing intervals is easy to replicate trather than guessing with the gears.

emac65
    Free Member

Tacx Satori – Resistance level 1-10:1 is easy,but 10 is brutal & great for out of the saddle pedalling…

spacemonkey

Depends what you want to achieve etc. Check out this thread from a few weeks ago.

Here’s what I said:

– what are the key training aims (if any)
    – noise
    – level of resistance
    – want to be able to change resistance on the fly (and emulate slopes etc)
    – want to hook up to a computer and track stuff like HR, cadence, speed, watts, etc
    – want to record sessions for comparison
    – budget
    – floor space (and portability)
    – want to be able to use it anywhere, e.g. indoors/outdoors
    – want to race against other people (online?)
    – want to ride virtual tracks/routes as well as pro routes

Answer those and you get might some more pointers. Sounds at the mo that she just needs an entry level jobby. If so, I’d recommend talking with Fudge Cycles and Cycle Sports UK.

I did a lot of research end of last year before opting for Taxc Flow 2200 with the PC upgrade kit. Excellent piece of kit but around £500 (in the sales). I can do everything listed above plus create routes using Google Earth (except virtual racing – can’t be bothered with that).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Turbo Trainers’ is closed to new replies.