Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Turbo Trainers… what to go for?
  • mike_p
    Free Member

Mrs P wants one, she sees me riding on my rollers, watching telly etc. and thinks “I’ll have some of that”, but can she stay upright? Err… no.

So turbo it is, but which one? The Elite Volare is basic but seems to be pretty much the cheapest at £80. Is it worth spending more, esp. considering that CycSurg have 40% off today?

MSP

Cheap ones do tend to be very very noisy.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Tacx Flow or better if you are serious (for the power reading)

Tacx Swing if not

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I had a cyclops mag

Now have a minoura which is quieter

So even within magnetic resistance models there’s variations in noise levels.

Avoid anything with air resistance, they’re just too lout to be usefull.

Quite tempted by power reading ones though.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I have a cheap tacx swing i bougth 2nd hand from classifieds here. Works well and the resistance goes quite high

Guy just joined the club turned up to the club turbo session with one of these

Flipping heck is it noisy!

ourmaninthenorth

I have a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine. Fluid resistance (so as quiet as they reasonably get) and the resistance unit is powertap calibrated – this means that if you have a speed sensor on the rear wheel, you can work out (using Kurt’s formula/graph) what power you’re doing for a given speed.

It may not be 100% accurate as to absolute power, but it should retain consistency for training benefits.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

It may not be 100% accurate as to absolute power, but it should retain consistency for training benefits.

That I think is the key here, if you want power levels on the cheap then make sure the readings are consistent, rather than accurate.

However back to the original post, I have a cheap Tacx one for when I’m not on the rollers and its fine. I would though buy an Elite one if I were to upgrade as I like their products.

jam-bo

i just bought one of these

elite crono fluid

extra 10% off with a wiggle discount code someone here posted, and a free set of DHB glasses.

mike_p
    Free Member

Right, so for the sort of money I’ve got in mind it seems like she’s after a magnetic one

Power meter, fluid = too expensive. This will get used a handful of times then forgotten about (you know how it is)
    Air = already got a C2 rower, so very familiar with the noise issue!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve got the Elite one Jambo highlights above.

Its very quiet as turbo’s go and offers plenty of progressive resistance just using the gearing of the bike, and the resistance feels similar to the road for given gear and speed. I’ve always thought magnetic ones feel artificial if you get what I mean..

No thrills with it though ie power meters, but unless you are doing really serious training I can not see thats an issue.

grievoustim
    Free Member

jam bo – Member
    i just bought one of these

elite crono fluid

extra 10% off with a wiggle discount code someone here posted, and a free set of DHB glasses

me too! arrived yesterday – impressed so far, stable and quiet

spacemonkey

Depends on a fair few variables, e.g.

– what are the key training aims (if any)
    – noise
    – level of resistance
    – want to be able to change resistance on the fly (and emulate slopes etc)
    – want to hook up to a computer and track stuff like HR, cadence, speed, watts, etc
    – want to record sessions for comparison
    – budget
    – floor space (and portability)
    – want to be able to use it anywhere, e.g. indoors/outdoors
    – want to race against other people (online?)
    – want to ride virtual tracks/routes as well as pro routes

Answer those and you get might some more pointers. Sounds at the mo that she just needs an entry level jobby. If so, I’d recommend talking with Fudge Cycles and Cycle Sports UK.

I did a lot of research end of last year before opting for Taxc Flow 2200 with the PC upgrade kit. Excellent piece of kit but around £500 (in the sales). I can do everything listed above though (except virtual racing – can’t be bothered with that).

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I have the elite chrono fluid too, I sold mt very expensive tax one as I hated the pedalling feeling, this one at 1/4 is so much better and a lot more quiet too. I wasn’t bothered about gizmos as I have a powertap for that sort of stuff, just wanted a quite ish, nice pedalling turbo, This ticks all the boxes IMO. Having said that nothing beats my old faithful cateye cyclosimulator, wish they still made that, it was great.

keavo
    Free Member

cateye cyclosimulator….still got mine, must 20 years old and its still going.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

God dammit, Typed last response on Iphone, looks like a Yoof has written it! Apologies for that.

My Cyclosimulator died. wish it was still going

keavo
    Free Member

had some problems with the magnet/resistance last winter. it didn’t like extreme low temps and i thought it was broken. i bought some elite rollers to replace it but then it started working again. now i ‘enjoy’ both:-)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Turbo Trainers… what to go for?’ is closed to new replies.