Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • tunstall forest? info…
  • bikerbruce
    Free Member

im racing there next weekend,
    whats it like ? how well does it cope with weather etc?
    whats the ideal bike for it
    Bruce

phinw
    Free Member

If you have ridden Thetford or Sherwood Pines then will know roughly what to expect. Can be a bit of a nightmare in the wet under the trees but drain well in sandy bits. Lots of nice swoopy single track between the trees but pretty flat, so practice those flat turns!

Definitely short’ish travel hard tail territory.

Hope that helps. If someone from TROG is reading you might get a bit more detail…

bikerbruce
    Free Member

thanks lets hope someone might…

IanW
    Free Member

There is some rain forecast for Monday, which is much needed. The trails are smooth and fast but a bit dusty due to the dry weather of recent. Forecast is good up to next weekend so it break the Tunstall jinx this year.
    Personal choice will be a rigid single speed but Im in it for fun, so wont be in too much hurry.

Good luck on the day 🙂

gee
    Free Member

It’s just like Thetford. Racey hardtail is the choice – 29er too as it makes the whoops feel smaller.

In the wet, as in really wet not just a bit of rain, it’s dreadful – the only place I’ve ever seen someone pushing on the flat…

schmiken

I designed the course so fairly up to date with it!

It’s very dusty at the mo but we’ve got some rain this week which should damp it down. Lots of tight singletrack, very fast. It’s a bit bumpier than last year so I’d recommend short travel hardtail with super fast tyres – Furious Freds or Twisters.

If it pees down witrh rain constantly then I’d recommend the lightest bike you have so you can run the whole course with it on a shoulder…..!

bikerbruce
    Free Member

sounds ideal i hope for totall dryness of full on typooon….. could i get round on a single 39 ring with an 11-36t cassette?
    Thanks for the info guys
    B

gee
    Free Member

Assuming it’s dry, you should be ok. 39t front ring is a big-un for 1×9!

schmiken

Yeah, that’ll be fine.

matt_outandabout

Nice singletrack, but don’t expect a gnarr fest. I like it as much as I don’t have a 100m+ climb at the start of a ride as usual…

schmiken

At the moment it looks like this:

bikerbruce
    Free Member

looks nice …just ordered some furious freds

gee
    Free Member

Haha – good luck with those…

Get used to turning in very gently and then attacking whenever the trail is straight 🙂

spursn17
    Free Member

Anyone doing the ‘midweek blast’ with a video cam?

I can’t get there Wednesday as it’s too far, and wouldn’t mind a peek at the ‘features’.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

haa well 2.25s at 29psi? or ralph tubs maybe… yeah a movie would be cool

bikerbruce
    Free Member

anyone off there this weekend?

lazybike
    Free Member

Yep… me and spursn17, and 3 or 4 other club members, three in the old knackers class, one in yoof, a lady vet and one in the racers, not been before, word is it’s a bit like Thetford.

schmiken

I’m racing, as are many other TROGs. It hasn’t rained for a while so should be properly dry and dusty.

rents
    Free Member

Im there like Fred Astaire! never ridden Tunstal in the dry! so will be bringing the Singlespeed.
    It is the worst place in the world in the wet :0) Proper grinding paste.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘tunstall forest? info…’ is closed to new replies.