Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Tubs, OK for the real world or run and be very scared………
  • flashes
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a 70’s / 80’s bike. I’ve only had chance to open the box and notice it has tubulars, which doesn’t scare me (I’ve had them before), but are they actually practical? Or should I get the nice Campag Record hubs built up with period clincher rims???

tlr

My 80s bike has tubs, it’s survived 2 L’Eroicas.

My summer bike has tubs and has survived 20,000km with one puncture.

YMMV. Literally. But nothing to be unduly worried about.

globalti
    Free Member

I watched a bloke change a tub by the roadside as fast as we changed a clincher last month.

convert

Whilst happy with them as a race wheel not sure I’d bother for a training ride. Just the cost per puncture that puts me off. Having said that as you already own them it would take a few punctures before you would be up if you bought a new wheel. In every other respect tubs are no more hassle than tubes.

TiRed

will be fine. But carrying a spare tub means that the overall weight is probably neutral. I personally prefer latex tubes and clinchers because I think they provide about 80% of the performance for 10% of the pfaff. Puncture performance has improved immensely.

I wouldn’t be rebuilding the wheels though.

flashes
    Free Member

Cheers guys. The front is punctured and the rear is a bit too aggressive for what I want, so I might get clincher rims put on the nice Campag Record hubs…..

joshvegas
    Free Member

Keep the wheels for best and grab clincher wheelset for general useage?

schmiken

Buy some nice tubs, put them on and enjoy the ride! Tubs are great and puncture less than clinchers.

They are practical enough, just do some reading and find out how to maintain them. Also, Vittoria Pit Stop.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

I ride on tubs clincher and tubeless overall tubs give less punctures. I even use rubs on my mountain bike and don’t get punctures.

woodster

I’ve commuted over some pretty grim roads on 22mm tubs and they’ve been ace. Don’t even think about them anymore, just keep a single spare that’s never been used and a bit of Revosealant.

flashes
    Free Member

Drat, this is making the decision harder…………..they are v nice wheels and so silly light.
    Next question tape or glue????

everyone
    Free Member

Glue. Do it properly!

flashes
    Free Member

Drat, I thought you’d say that.

If you have a p*ncture can you whip the old tub off fit the spare one you always carry with you on to the rim using the origional glue and pootle home taking it very steady?

trail_rat
    Free Member

yes you can- your replacement tub should be pre glued/dried before being stored under the saddle with old toe strap 😉

Tape is the work of the devil

schmiken

Glue. Do it properly.

Also, yes to the puncture question. It’s quicker and easier than replacing a punctured tube. If you’ve done a decent glue job you don’t even have to pootle home, just ride it.

Santaslittlehelper
    Free Member

Ive been using a set of carbon wheels with Conti Gatorskin Tubs for the last two years. Only time i’ve had to change tyres was when the tub wore out (rear). Not one p…….!

Very nice to ride and very resistant to punctures. I’m going to ride them well into the Autumn and the only thing that stops me using them all year is the fact that the wheels are carbon and the winter roads will kill the wheels.

Glue is the only option imo. Once practiced it doesn’t take long to do.

flashes
    Free Member

Drat this means I may have to keep the tub wheels as are but get 3 new tubulars………decisions, decisions.

Now what tubs? Road and tow path, so gravel……

everyone
    Free Member

Vittoria paves’ obviously!

aether531
    Free Member

I agree with all of the plus points for the use of tubs, but IMHO unless you’re racing they’re not worth the bother. I’ve still got them on my old/TT bike but I’ve given up on using them for training/club rides. Yes it’s quick to change a tub, but then fixing said tub is a PITA, and I don’t miss gluing them up either.

flashes
    Free Member

I’ll be wanting wider and with some tread. Slicks would be an “interesting” choice……..

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Tubs, OK for the real world or run and be very scared………’ is closed to new replies.