Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 877 total)
  • The Ashes thread! (spoilers)
  • ransos
    Free Member

I have a sense of ominous foreboding.

binners

This has all got a very familiar ring to it

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Blowers on TMS, “England batting like the Greek economy”

Then straight on to seagulls.

🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Root to the rescue again?

I think Lunch stopped the flow of wickets…

Klunk
    Free Member

aussie line and length is all over the place at the moment.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Now I want to say something about England, but if I do I know what will happen. So we can all just think it instead…

Nice to see the sun coming out.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well the view at Tea is a lot better than the view at Lunch, some great batting and hoping that both these 2 get past the next milestone. Good turnaround and be interesting to see how the Aussies come out after the break – I’ll catch that one in the morning I reckon…

Klunk
    Free Member

surprised by the rank bad bowling and fielding from the aussies. Haddon was pretty useless behind the stumps too. Got to be pretty demoralizing for the bowling attack when the keeper drops such sitters. The slips take their position from the keeper and he stands too far back (to cover for his lack of mobility) and a couple of edges dropping short of the slip cordone.

theotherjonv

Doesn’t move his feet well. I think his time’s coming to an end; his runs are useful but you can’t give England’s best players extra lives. Including byes he’s already 150-odd in debt.

Shame, because he seems such a lovely bloke.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Disappointing last session for England but it could have been a lot worse after that start. Ali looked good so hopefully the tail can hang around for a bit for him. Another 100 would give them half a chance.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Oh my, just seen Stokes highlights, bet that kept the Aussie bowlers happy 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Quite a batting display.

Here’s hoping Moeen can go on for a few this morning. Put them in just after lunch, maybe?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

7 down it might be optimistic to suggest “putting them in” as many as we can please 400 and hopefully get a couple of early ones.

johndoh
    Free Member

Not saying anything….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Highest England score of the last 6 tests against Australia,
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013%E2%80%9314_Ashes_series

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Good start.

johndoh
    Free Member

Shhh!

johndoh
    Free Member

That was your fault Flashheart!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oops.

Sorry

johndoh
    Free Member

Now to see how good/bad that pitch is…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well there we go, hands up who had 430 on their mind at this time yesterday?

Batting in depth, something that has been missing in English cricket for a long time. Even allows Ian Bell to see if he can find his feet in that line up. the standing ovation for Johnson 0-100 was worth seeing. Strangely enough not one of my Aussie mates has said a word yet, cue 600-3 or something like that. Key wickets? Warner & Haddin

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Great knock to at least put some pressure back on Australia after yesterday’s shaky start. Interesting day coming up.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I think whatever happens getting a decent score against their bowling attack will do england a lot of good. After a five nil thrashing with no score over approx… 370?…. first innings last time that’s a great mental ‘win’

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Five of them were against Australia however…
    (from @BBCTMS)

Klunk
    Free Member

dodgy tash back in the pavilion

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So in a 5 day game I go to take a leak just when tash gets out…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mike, could you nip back for another shake?

Klunk
    Free Member

ouch!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

In the words of a commentator somewhere on one of those events.
    Don’t rub em count em

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

IN THE PLUMS!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

@CaptainFlashheart
    I might need to drink more beer to make that happen
    PPGift email in profile 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yeah I went for one honest…

bye bye Smithy

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Tea – or bed time as we call it here in Oz….

Bit stubborn these Ozzies could do with a couple of wickets. England have the runs on the board –
    I applaud Cook for batting first even in questionable conditions as this is a good ashes score for England whatever at this point.
    Australia have the good batsmen who can get out, the England bowling needs to step up a bit, maidens and tight make them play.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I applaud Cook for batting first even in questionable conditions

Agree with this although the aussies missed a chance to rip into england in that first session when the weather favoured the bowler.

theotherjonv

Nicely poised today. On paper, England on top with runs on the board and the Aussies to bat last on a wearing pitch; reality says that we don’t clear up tails well and theirs could wag hard. Hopes for Stokes to bully a few out, he strikes me as a heavy ball bowler in the Freddie mould.

There’s also a rain threat for Sunday that might make us want to push the game on a bit.

Interesting stat this morning on Moeen Ali. He takes a wicket every 53 balls; better than Murali, Warne, Swann, etc. He doesn’t tie an end up quite as well, too many bad balls that supposedly relieve pressure, but is that to his benefit, that batters look to attack him more than the others listed above and hence give more of a chance? On the basis you have to take 20 wickets to win a test, can you give up a run an over for a strike rate that’s 15% better than Swann’s?

Add his runs; I think he’s a key man this series.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

We’ve still got to get Haddin out. Let’s hope his batting is as good as his keeping. But if he bats like he did in the last Ashes…

chambord
    Free Member

Watson lbw, who would’ve guessed! Bit unlucky there IMO.

We went to the first day, here’s a picture – if you look carefully you can see the ball just about to be caught by Warner (Lyth out!)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Next up, Haddin was the backbone of the tail back in Oz. The Oz batting line up is venerable, Haddin has been the saviour for a lot of tests. This is the key wicket.

Klunk
    Free Member

7 down

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 877 total)

The topic ‘The Ashes thread! (spoilers)’ is closed to new replies.