Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tubeless Tyres for Road – a Tip from the Stupid/Ignorant
  • turboferret

This is a public service announcement to save eardrums 😆

Don’t naively assume that it’s the same with MTB tyres, and a bit of rim-strip, a little lubrication to help seat the bead and some vigorous action with a track pump will do.

After several attempts which all resulted in the bead popping off the rim at around 80 PSI with an almighty bang 😯 I stopped trying and did some research. Apparently you need tyres with a special bead 😳

Fortunately none of these attempts had sealant in the tyre so the living-room carpet wasn’t ruined 😀

Cheers, Rich

clubber
    Free Member

LOL. I’m running tubeless on my CX and had some fun getting a combo that worked without the gunshot – I had a few blowouts at 70psi with sealant though luckily not indoors…

(FWIW, the solution that worked was stans Arch Ex rims with stans tyres at 60psi)

turboferret

I’m just glad that I discovered this before riding – having a tyre go while out and about wouldn’t have been fun 😯

Cheers, Rich

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’ve run some CX tyres on a ghetto setup successfully. The sidewalls were quite porous though and it took 3 or 4 inflations/deflations over a day for the sealant to properly seal it. Bit of a faff and more of an experiment than anything, but they did work.

But for road tyres, yes, you need proper tubeless tyres. More coming to market too – Hutchinson has a new lightweight one, Schwalbe have some in the pipeline, Maxxis has the expensive and elusive Padrone, etc. etc. What I want is a 28mm one for the commuter, then I’ll be tubeless everywhere (except the BMX – that’s next).

Janesy
    Free Member

So can you run normal tyres tubeless? I have ultremo ZX on Stans alpha rims.
    Or I guess the tyre will just blow off?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Bonty coming out with them too – lighter versions available now I think.

25c too.

Janesyprevious threads have shownmixed experience using regular tyres. Proper tubeless ones have carbon beads to stop stretch apparently.

njee20
    Free Member

Back in the early days of MTB tubeless (before road tubeless) a friend converted his DT RR1.1s with some electrical tape and some bog standard GP4000s, they went up and seemed fine, dunno if he still uses them, I suspect not, but he didn’t die.

IME once a tyre’s blown off a rim with any amount of pressure in it’ll then be ripe for the bin!

turboferret

njee20, I hope that isn’t true about tyres blowing off rims being good for the bin, otherwise I’ve just ruined a brand new set of Michelin Pro3’s 🙁

Will see if they withstand a decent amount of pressure with tubes and go from there…

Cheers, Rich

jota180
    Free Member

njee20, I hope that isn’t true about tyres blowing off rims being good for the bin, otherwise I’ve just ruined a brand new set of Michelin Pro3′

Certainly all the MTB tyres I’ve seen that have been blown off rims are ruined, it tends to damage the bead

Saccades
    Free Member

I had a fat albert blown off at 70psi that I’m still riding on the summer bike 18 months later with no bother.

njee20
    Free Member

Fair enough. I’ve got 4 ruined Schwalbes that blew off a dodgy rim! None will stay on afterwards, not even on other rims or with tubes in.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless Tyres for Road – a Tip from the Stupid/Ignorant’ is closed to new replies.