Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Wednesday Pentlands 'au revoir' ride
  • 13thfloormonk

After a long romance with the road bike and a brief dalliance with the trail centres, I feel I should patch up my differences with our soggy local hills before I jet off for pastures new.

Would anyone care to join me for a quick and simple up-and-down ride tomorrow? I’m thinking straight up Allermuir and back down, or if its a bit crappy maybe a simple Poet’s Glen + Harbour Hill combo. Hoping to keep it shortish as I’m still nursing a back injury incurred on ‘Berm Baby Berm’ of all places 😳

Usual 6:00 at Cargo, 6:30 at Bonaly shop?

househusband

Where are you off to – is this permanent or temporary..?

druidh
    Free Member

Sorry Ian – I’m off to Glen Feshie tomorrow morning. Is this your last chance?

13thfloormonk

Househusband, moving out to Vancouver for the next couple of years at least, just got confirmation of my job out there although in truth would have gone out anyway 8) .

Druidh, no, not last chance at all, have until the end of June.

househusband

Excellent – all the best! I’ve enjoyed riding with you on the couple of occasions we’ve met, and remain in awe of the solo expeditions you’ve done – they’ve made inspiring reading on here over the years.

ojom
    Free Member

Will have to make a later one. Getting a bathroom fitted this week so showers are being provided by the kindness of others…

stevemtb
    Free Member

I’m up for it but will be tight making that early a time. Is the usual not half an hour later??

No problem if that’s the time that works, I’ll try and get up to Bonally.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Best of luck in Vancouver. We were there last summer and it looks like it’d be a great place to live.

13thfloormonk

D’oh! Shows how long its been since I’ve been out. I’m happy with half an hour later, so 6:30 cargo 7:00 Bonaly?

My mate is interested in seeing a bit more of the Pentlands but might be suspicious of prolonged boggy climbs, if he comes out I’ll definitely be proposing a short sharp climb followed by descent approach.

Househusband, likewise, its been a pleasure!

jimmy

I might be up for risking it, but am on call with work so should stick close to home…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well done, Van is nice, the north shore stuff is AMAZING even just to go and look at (which I did).

Can’t make your ride though I mean to make one, ideally without TBC or druid present.

stevemtb
    Free Member

It’s been reasonably dry up there the past two weeks and until tonight I don’t think we’ve had much rain. Can see how much rain comes down tonight and see what route suits from there!

I’ll probably be on the canal around 6.40 if anyone comes from Cargo or at the shop by 7, see you there!

13thfloormonk

Will noise up the Edinburgh Uni crowd as well, they’re usually up for a giggle…

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Good luck, dude!

[EDIT – In Canada, rather than the Pentlands. Though good luck for that too… ]

ojom
    Free Member

Al is the coolest person I know.

bigjim

Can’t make tomorrow, birthday meal for the better half.

Would be good to catch you for a ride before you go though.

Very jealous about Vancouver, made some tentative explorations about getting their in my last job, wish I’d done a bit more really.

13thfloormonk

Haha, I did think that rather pesimistic Stuartie, wondered if you knew something about the pentlands that we didn’t 😀

Jim, hoping to get out in the Pentlands a couple more times at least, should be able to catch up at some point.

Kit
    Free Member

Was out tonight so going to pass on tomorrow Ian, soz. Might see you out for another ride before you go!

13thfloormonk

Hope so Kit, Corstorphine is also a goer from Broughton end of town for a short evening spin.

marti
    Free Member

I finish work at 6 tomorrow, so can make it along for my first ever single track pentlands ride. Will be on some type of inappropriate and badly maintained bike.

debaser

Not for me unfortunately. The ongoing building guddle has been upgraded to a full scale omnishambles.

Definitely have to catch up for a ride/pint before you head off though.

Enjoy the ride folks.

13thfloormonk

inappropriate and badly maintained bike.

Excellent, I’ll see you there on my undersprung, creaky, too small Pitch with 740mm Answer Pro-Taper bars on a 100mm road stem…

Debaser, I’m counting on it!

Edit: Actually chaps, I’m going to head up 15 min early to pick up a new stem from pixelmix who lives in Bonaly, so will see you all at the Bonaly Store for 7:00. Marti, could meet you at the shop for 6:15?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ian, I’d love to make it through from the shire, but shifts prevent it this week. Bloody work, always getting in the way!.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Tempted but I’m due another rest day and I’ve also hurt a toe (tripped over a super gnarly hardcore drill box in the house yesterday) so I’m just going to have a soft pedal home. Will get out again soon.

13thfm – should be home by then so just pop round.

marti
    Free Member

cool, get me at the shop after 6.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

13thfm, can’t make it unfortunately but would be great if we could organise a goodbye ride! with beer and burgers at the end prefferably 🙂

robgarrioch

Darn, just spotted this. Might manage along, but doubtful. Got out on Sunday, where the only proper wet bits was the mini-glens draining the hill towards JZ / Shearie Knowe, BTW (ditches at the bottom, alongside the Swanston – Allermuir track, totally full too, some blocking by the recent improvements perhaps). Will give it a go but don’t wait around. As if..
    Anyone tried climbing Allermuir army road since it was motor-wayed?
    (ps i’ve got a 50mm stem doing nowt mate – yours if you want it)

13thfloormonk

cheers Rob, 50mm might be too short, will try out a 90mm first, thanks!

I’m hoping to get at least one ride in a week between now and July, would be great to get a ride in with as many of the regulars as possible, will just post up weekly.

Beers and Burgers on the next sunny evening we get!

Marti, see you there.

ojom
    Free Member

Rob – i have a few weeks ago. It seems harder now for some reason.

You’ll have no trouble.
    p.s hows that foot btw?

13thfloormonk

Rob, you’re not suggesting up Puke, down Tank Tracks, up Red Road, down Cox’s are you? Sounds like a winner 8)

Whats up with the foot?

stevemtb
    Free Member

Just leaving the office out in Livingston so seriously doubt I’ll be there.

Have a good ride y’all.

13thfloormonk

Unlucky Steve!

For anyone else, neither me nor marty will be at Cargo, heading straight to Bonaly for 7pm at the shop.

rickmeister

Good luck in Vancouver, I think we had a couple of spins out with you, all the best. Rick And Andrea

robgarrioch

Just the kind of ride I needed, that; exertion, friendly failure, exploration, all fun (even if I can barely see the hairs on my legs for midge bites 😈 ). Always good to ride with (i.e. watch) those who dare…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CgZNhGMWlA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Cheers guys.

bigjim

i knew it would roll! good work, is that you iain?

_tom_
    Free Member

Good luck for Vancouver, I’m very jealous! I love Canada.

13thfloormonk

Aye, great ride, nice to find new lines in the Pentlands after 10 years… 8)

That was a weird/stunning sunset too!

Thanks for the good wishes everyone, bit premature since I’ll be here for another three weeks but I can honestly say I haven’t ridden with anyone off here who’s company I haven’t thoroughly enjoyed (although I’m not actually sure I’ve ridden with Cynic_al yet… 😀 ). Although in truth, if things go well with my girlfriend/badly with the new job, I might be back in a couple of years…

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Wednesday Pentlands 'au revoir' ride’ is closed to new replies.