Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Tubeless tyre rotating round rim
  • fin25
    Free Member

As above really, fitted a 2.35 EXO Maxxis Ikon on an alexrims supra 35 rim, loads of tape and sealant, went up first time with a bit of soap.
    Been on two 20 mile rides and have noticed that the tyre has rotated round the rim about 90 degrees. No air or sealant appears to have escaped, so I can only assume there is a bit of soap on the bead making the tyre rotate under braking. Anyone else experienced this?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Nope, New one on me. I use a tub of tyre fitting soap and never had that problem. If you’re just using some bubbles/road from wul, there really shouldn’t be enough to do this.

I’ve seen it happen on tubed set ups . That normally means the bead has stretched and its time for a new tyre.

How old is the tyre?

JAG

I’ve seen it happen on high performance cars but never heard of it on a bike.

I can only conclude you are putting down awesome amounts of power and torque 8)

fin25
    Free Member

Brand new tyre, initially didn’t want to seat in the rim, so I pumped up a tube to 30 psi in it for a couple of hours, then it went straight on.

singlespeedstu

Even if the tyre does rotate a bit it’s not going to cause a problem as it’s tubeless so cant rip the valve out.

fin25
    Free Member

Not overly worried about it, just never seen it before. Doing coast to coast on it in a fortnight, just making sure it’s all kosher really.

njee20
    Free Member

Until some comedy braking attempt where the wheels stop and the tyres don’t. That would be awesome.

scaredypants

I’ve had it – a tiny bit, I think (unless it rotated more than once right round 😯 )

Mine weren’t “real” UST beads and I think it was the lack of material at the bead that just wasn’t gripping right

cynic-al
    Free Member

That normally means the bead has stretched and its time for a new tyre.

How do you know other than this that a bead has stretched?

Never seen (knowingly) a stretched bead.

fin25
    Free Member

Just gonna ride it til it dies. 8)

scaredypants

Just gonna ride it til it dies.

🙁

fin25
    Free Member

Or that…

singlespeedstu

You could fit one of these. 😆

fin25
    Free Member

Think that might negate some of the weight benefits of a tubeless system…

singlespeedstu

Or take a chisel to the inside of your rim. 😯

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cynic-al, that’s pretty much all there is to a stretched bead. Used to ride with a chap, huge chap and strong with it. He never wore a tyre out in the conventional way and when they started going, he’d regularly rip valves out of tubes.

I’ve also heard of people having issues refitting old tyres tubeless because the bead is fractionally slacker than last time, not suffered it myself though.

fin25
    Free Member

So what you’re saying is, I’m fat…
    Fair play, I am.

Northwind

I’ve had it happen when riding on a soft tyre (just getting to the end of a stage) but if it’s all working right and the pressure’s up then the amount of friction between the tyre and rim should be huge. I’d be pretty wary of it personally, I’m too tight to just immediately declare it a no go but it doesn’t inspire confidence either

Onzadog
    Free Member

Fin25, the chap I’m thinking off wasn’t fat. Only ever saw him drunk one. He started swayingvon his stag do. I decided I didn’t want to be stood downhill from him at that point.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I have had a conti do this with tubes. Brand new tyre just cept slipping and ripping the valve out. Well pissed of as it ruined a load of rides before just slinging it to the back of the shed!

singlespeedstu

Until some comedy braking attempt where the wheels stop and the tyres don’t. That would be awesome.

I have seem someone that was running a Mouse tube* in the rear without a security bolt(see my pic above) and the Mouse started breaking up. Que the rider sitting there on a climb with the rear wheel spinning and the tyre stationary.

*Propper enduro bike with an engine n ting.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless tyre rotating round rim’ is closed to new replies.