Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Tubeless tyre repair, help please
  • blastit
    Free Member

Normal patches don’t seem to like sticking to the inside of the tyre so how do you do yours ???

jonnyboi

Tyre worms if it’s not on the sidewall

simondbarnes

I use a tubeless worm from a Weldtite puncture repair kit.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GTPc8y]Lakeland rocks strike again[/url] by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

blastit
    Free Member

unfortunately its the side wall

bruneep

old style glue and patches work fine for me, what are you using?

timber

If it’s cut, stitch with dental floss and then stick a dirty great patch over it all.

blastit
    Free Member

just using some normal patches , seem to be lifting straight away.
    will go have another go

Simon

I’ve fixed small side wall punctures with tyre worms.

blastit
    Free Member

Ok had another go , homemade patch out of old inner tube as it is far more flexible . The normal patches seem a bit stiff.
    Use to do it when I was a young lad as we were bit skint to say the least.
    Seems to have worked so far. Will give it a few minutes and pop it back on.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Make sure tyre is dry inside or around the patch area. Rub surface with sandpaper or similar. Use patch glue, even if using peel off tube patches.

I’ve patched with specific tubeless tyre patches and regular inner tube patches, both worked fine, but have used glue each time. Ensure you wait enough time for the glue to get tacky and hold the patch in place for a few minutes.

blastit
    Free Member

Thanks for top tips guys

Northwind

blastit – Member

Normal patches don’t seem to like sticking to the inside of the tyre so how do you do yours ???

Never had a problem with that tbh, you need to get it clean of sealant but after that a load of vulcanising goop and a little patch is really effective. Since it’s on the inside the air pressure isn’t forcing it off, it’s holding it on. Only works up to a certain size mind

stevextc
    Free Member

Try and superglue the tyre together first… then put the patch on the inside.
    If you don’t the tyre expands and then the patch stretches and either comes off if its not dry or you can end up with a big bubble….

Did this with a tyre 2-3 weeks ago and its still holding air.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I use mushroom patches (plug patches) like those used for car tyre repairs. Clean with ipa, smear vulcanising solution and let it dry…Then fit the patch.

By the way, anyone used dynaplug for field repairs? Just seems a bit neater and quicker than the weldtite kit.

z1ppy

How much effort is required to push those weldite repair thingys in? I tried to get one in for the 1st time yesterday & it wasn’t having it, gave up (was back at the car)as I thought the force needed would have me stabbing the tape.

Onzadog
    Free Member

It can take some force but it’s not normally a problem. One of the reasons why I’m curious about the dynaplug. That looks like it can’t go in too far.

feed

Normal patch glue generally doesn’t work. This is what you need to glue ordinary patches to the inside of the tyre.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/rema-tip-top-special-cement/rp-prod46347

bramblesummer
    Free Member

Dyaplugs for trailside repair. I keep them in a side pocket for quick access. I’ve never used one on my own bike but they’re brilliant on the wife’s bike. Lake District rock has a habit of popping little holes through, so just shove in a dyna plug and you’re back away.

Once home then it’s 4mm or 6mm car tyre mushroom plugs – proper ones that need bonding to the inside of the tyre. Make sure it’s dry, sanded, cleaned with IPA then roll it down very hard with a patch tool. I’ve got a few repairs over a year old now and they’re perfect still. Nothing older as the tyres are usually wrecked and replaced by then.

ade9933
    Free Member

Those worms are awesome. I fixed a side will pinch near my rim before Christmas in Snowdon and it’s held well.

Other mates have tons in their tyres too.

pjtrailbuilder
    Free Member

If the hole/cut is too big for the gloop to seal I have fixed this by sewing over the split with Kevlar thread and then let the gloop do its thing. Results in a nice Kevlar gloop scab.

pickle
    Free Member

new bike 🙂

sparkyrhino

Just repaired a tubless road tyre, with glue and self sticky patch , 3mm pothole gash about 3mm above bead.re jizzed holding 120psi,no bulge or deformaty where patch is happy days(Its my GF bike and insurance is up to date)
    As a footnote,was dreading removing/refitting and seating bead,tyre inflated with trackpump 1st time.Have lost knuckle skin and cursed removing and fitting her tubed tyres on winter bike before now

mccraque

Weldtite or tiptop tubeless patches are really good.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless tyre repair, help please’ is closed to new replies.