Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • It been done before but… Flats or clips
  • crashrash

So I have been riding SPDs for at least 12 years. I have them on all my bikes, I can use them and generally I have no problems. However I did have a big crash last year with dislocated shoulder and it has taken me a while to get the confidence back on my local trails.
    Been wondering if I should try a set of flats on the FS bike to improve my skills and help with the confidence.
    Any thoughts or recommends?

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I found them superb for confidence after running SPD for years. To be honest, I wouldn’t be going back to clipped in now!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

to improve my skills and help with the confidence.

Being analytical what skills are you lacking? Will changing pedals work or is the cash better spent on some coaching?

It’s possible to do all of the flat pedal skillz with clips but then you can skip that bit of your tired etc and let the pedals do the work.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Road Bike: clipped in

Mountain Bike: flats

Using flats gives me much more confidence as I know I can bail easily.

I’ve come from a roadie background and was surprised how much grip good flat pedals provide.

Get a cheap pair and give them a go. Really, what’ve you got to lose?

chr15
    Free Member

The skin on your shins! Don’t be proud, wear shinpads at first, you will save yourself some swearing and have beach-ready pins all summer.

Recommended though to give flats a go. Give them a few rides and some time to get used to – it will likely feel like a massive step backwards at first but with a bit of practice you’ll learn to keep some weight on there and generate lift without pulling up. Then there’ll be no need to go back…!

Northwind

Way I see it is, you don’t know which you prefer now, so it’s got to be worth trying both. They both tend to bring out different things in people’s riding and encourage different skills, and everything that you gain from one will transfer back to the other.

Only thing is, you can feel like a right knobber when you first swap- it can be a bit like having to relearn from scratch. And that’s annoying but, if you find this is the case when you go to flats, it’s definitely showing some technique issues (good footwork is good footwork regardless of pedal, the skills that keep your feet on flats, still help you ride smoother and more “with the bike” and that’s worthwhile.

seadog101

I Like Clips… And I like flats…

But seriously, I like my clips for the security and efficiency on long rides XC type thing.
    Swap to flats when on more techy trails I’m not sure of so I can bail out easier. I am quite chicken sometimes.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Flats provide only 50% of the power. Approximately.

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

I moved to flats at the start of the year having ridden SPD’s for about 20 years. I found that the grip they offer is greatly increased when using proper shoes like fivetens.

My wife is considering moving to flats to increase her confidence as she also dislocated her shoulder, broke the ball joint in three places and tore 4 ligaments last October. Only now got enough movement in the joint to hold onto the handlebars.

mahalo

another recent revert back to flats here too. the confidence they inspire when it gets steep and rowdy is amazing!! no doubt clips are more efficient but unless you are racing who cares. Felt weird at first when my feet came away from the pedals in the air or they slipped off on impact from landing a drop, but that was all lack of skill on my part which i seem to be improving on – so flats ftw!

nedrapier

Flats provide only 50% of the power. Approximately.

They provide approximately none of the power. That comes from your legs.

jam-bo

I’ve gone back to clips after years on flats. I’ve always been happy riding both but tended to flats. About 6 months ago I found a set of dx pedals at the bottom of my toolbox and fitted them on a whim. Loving them again.

But back to the OP, did you crash because of clips? Not sure how fitting unfamiliar pedals will help your confidence.

hooli

To summarise all previous conversations on this subject. Some love SPD’s and will never change, some love flats and will never change.

There will then be 17 pages of back and forth where the flats try to convince the SPD’er that flats are better while the SPD’ers will try and convince the flats that they have ridden like that since 1684 and it is the best.

There will normally be an arguement somewhere about page 8, this doesn’t have to be linked to the topic, but sometimes is. 1 member is likely to flounce as a result.

I use flats BTW, it is the best thing ever 😉

😆 😆

maxtorque

We do this at least once a week, and i always say the same thing:

YES, try the other ones!

(flats -> clips and Clips -> flats depending what you’re on now)

What ever happens, the change is good, it will make you a better rider, and even if you go back to where you started, you will have learned something!

The only limiting factor is cost, which these days, is not as bad as i used to be

RicB

I run SPDs but occasionally swap to flats for a change.

SPDs make technical climbing a bit easier (for me anyway) and give me confidence on drops that the bike won;t fall away from me

Flats make me realise needing SPDs on drops is because of poor technique, and they tend to help improve my cornering.

The other thing flats do is position your foot (perhaps less so with newer enduro SPD shoes) further forward on the pedal. This means all of your weight is slightly further forward, which helps in the corners as there’s more weight on the front tyre. The lack of float also means it’s easier to steer the bike with your hips.

I find flats get a bit frustrating when the trails are slippy, as it’s much harder to catch a rear wheel spin and keep going.

prawny

I’m having this debate with myself after riding the monkey trail for the first time in ages and forgetting how bad the braking bumps can get.

On flats currently and coming out of the long winter layoff just riding my road bike my technique is shot.

I put the SPDs on on saturday afternoon and did some track stands in the cul de sac comfortably clipped in. But I ended up taking them off again before I put the bike away. Thinking about putting them on again now 😕

This is on a hardtail BTW, would definitely stick to flats on a FS.

crashrash

Cheers for all the advise – the clips were not the reason for my crash by the way Jam bo. Just me not paying attention! Looking at the view instead of where I was going on the Borrowdale loop (just climbed Honister as well so annoying). The flats conversation for me is after my riding buddies all started going back to them. Their reckoning is on the steep stuff it improves confidence…..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Their reckoning is on the steep stuff it improves confidence…..

Double edged sword there, the confidence to cop out and dab etc is the opposite of the commitment to line you need in the steep stuff. The second my mind goes to getting a foot down then it’s not thinking about riding the section.
    I find naturally is can still do the dab when needed and with decent shoes and Mallet dh pedals get back in/on fine

crashrash

Cheers Mikewsmith – read a bit and what you say seems to make sense. Maybe I keep my SPDs but change the pedals to give a better platform. Currently using XT trails which look the part but support aint great and no good if not clipped. Wondered if the Vtwin from DMR might be a better bet (if I can save enough dollar!)

I’ve got CB Mallets (clips) on my Capra and some Wellgo flats on my Shan – obviously I’m aware of the difference, but to be honest, it hardly enters my head when I’m riding. Maybe this is because the Mallets are so easy to get out of?

Had an OTB last night, clipped in and didn’t have to think about unclipping, just noticed that by the time I hit the deck, I was no longer attached to the bike

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘It been done before but… Flats or clips’ is closed to new replies.