Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Tubeless losing air ???????
  • jonnyrockymountain

Set up tubeless with American classis wheels and stans liquid with bonty mud x tubeless ready tyres
    When fitted I pumped up to 40 psi so beads are nicely popped in but every day losing about 10 psi is this normal?? So before every ride I have to check and pump up to correct air pressure is this normal???

Conan257
    Free Member

Fill a big tub (bath) with water and dip the wheel, it’ll tell you where you’re losing air from…

jonnyrockymountain

Do I then put more stans sealant in ??
    Because I thought the sealant fills any air holes??

weeble
    Free Member

Have a look at the Stan’s website there a video on there showing you how to ensure the tyres are sealed by shaking the wheels to distribute the fluid and seal the wheels.

Also wheels often hold pressure after a ride or two.

FuzzyWuzzy

Shouldn’t be losing that much after being ridden as the sealant should have had chance to work it’s way everywhere (if it was just fitted and left it’s a different story as the sealant won’t get to the valve and rim bed properly unless shaken about). Are you riding at 40psi or much lower pressures (wondering if it’s burping at all if the latter). Worth doing as Conan suggested though as losing 10psi overnight should be easily visible when submerged, where you do see bubbles shake it about in that area and see if they stop.

Conan257
    Free Member

I’ve had to top up my tubless after the first couple of rides, but it shouldn’t be a case of losing 10psi every day…

Sounds like you’ve a leak which seals once you hit 20psi or something? Unless you keep topping it up every day!

boxfish
    Free Member

According to the Stan’s video, the manual swishing about of the freshly added sealant is much more effective way of covering the inside of the tyre. They say that the normal rotation of the wheel will not be as good at spreading the bloop around.

Having said that, I haven’t exactly followed the vid. I find that some tyres seal immediately, some after a ride or two and others take longer.

jonnyrockymountain

Sounds like I need to do a few rides first has set up last week but haven’t been out yet

frogstomp

Is the valve lock ring good and tight? Sometimes they loosen up a bit when using a pump and will start to leak air..

jonnyrockymountain

Valve lock ring is nice an tight

Klunk
    Free Member

mud x tubeless ready are notoriously porous through the side walls. top up the stans and leave on there sides on top of a bucket, repeat for the other side.

FuzzyWuzzy

Ah if you haven’t ridden it yet then yeah do a lot more shaking around and a quick ride about as well (only needs to be for 5 minutes). How much sealant did you put in (can you hear it sloshing about if you leave it settle for a bit then shake)?

yesiamtom
    Free Member

Some advice for future porous tyres. Before fitting or anything paint copydex around the inside especially the sidewalls then allow it to dry. Then fit as normal. This solved a particularly tricky set of high rollers instantly for me.

jonnyrockymountain

Thanks guys
    I have been spinning them around everyday
    Ill have a ride at weekend and take it from there
    I put 1 1/2 cap fills of stans in?

deanfbm
    Free Member

As above, leave wheels laying on their sides for a few nights. Had the same issue with some conti barons recently.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless losing air ???????’ is closed to new replies.