Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)
  • Tube strike London tonight,unions showing their power is still there.
  • project
    Free Member

Or does it make any difference that ticket offices are closing and staff will be out on the platform, with various means for the public to ask for help and advice.

Or by closing the booking offices and making staff redundant will it make the tube more unsafe,other forms of transport are available.

Finally is it just the union sabre rattling,and forcing a shutdown of tube services, even when limited numbers of staff will be made redundant, and no drivers will be affected.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

As someone who will be affected by this the sooner the whole underground is fully automated the better.*

*actually I don’t really mean that but its my first reaction when they announce they are striking again.

I imagine I am not alone in that and so the strikes are probably somewhat counter productive.

kimbers

I cant see how these redundancies are going to make anything any better and im struggling to think of a single benefit of having more staff on the platforms
    The most useful place- at the barriers and ticket offices.

Overall its a reduction in staff something and how long before we see unmanned stations, in complete contravention to the recomendations of the kings x fire inquiry.
    At least this strike isnt just about pay

Its also a massive about face from Borris who pledged at each election that he wouldnt close ticket offices, but he is a practiced liar

My final point is -ha ha!
    as a smug cycle comuter
    I think its quite funny when all the morlocks are forced to come blinking from their tunnels on strike day and have to navigate their way above ground!

project
    Free Member

the thing is all sub surface stations require a certain amount of staffing at all times, by law, so only the surface line stations maybe unstaffed.

MSP

Finally is it just the union sabre rattling,and forcing a shutdown of tube services, even when limited numbers of staff will be made redundant, and no drivers will be affected.

Well the idea of the many standing up for the few does seem to have been pushed out of fashion in modern selfish society, thank god there are some still willing to hold onto the old fashioned values so loudly paraded in the rhetoric of tory back benchers.

andyrm
    Free Member

Hopefully the #bikethestrike campaign helps break the effectiveness of the strike.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well the idea of the many standing up for the few does seem to have been pushed out of fashion in modern selfish society, thank god there are some still willing to hold onto the old fashioned values so loudly paraded in the rhetoric of tory back benchers.

Perhaps what they need to work on is communicating why they want to strike, otherwise it’s easy to point to old school self interest about getting rid of people who do nothing. Especially when the commie Bob Crow is involved 😉

footflaps

+1

If we all just looked out for ourselves, the world would be pretty unpleasant, or rather more unpleasant …..

TheBrick
    Free Member

I think they have a point with this strike but because of the number of strikes moaning about their already excellent pay and conditions, expected an Olympics bonus e.t.c I have no sympathy with them anymore. They have manipulated the system for too long with their self importance.

grantway
    Free Member

Or does it make any difference that ticket offices are closing and staff will be out on the platform, with various means for the public to ask for help and advice.

Well I this morning tried to buy a ticket from the TICKET MACHINES this morning and wouldn’t accept
    NOTES OR COINS so I had to buy my TICKET from the TICKET OFFICE
    SO HOW WOULD I BE ABLE TO HAVE GONE TO WORK WHEN ALL THE TICKET MACHINES WOUDN”T ACCEPT
    NOTES AS I DID NOT HAVE A OYSTER CARD !!! ANSWER IS NOT BUY AN OYSTER AS THE COMPANY PAYING FOR MY TRAVEL DOESN”T ACCEPT OSTER CARD RECEIPTS ???

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

BJ and RC must be feeling v proud of themselves.

freeagent
    Free Member

I think they have a point with this strike but because of the number of strikes moaning about their already excellent pay and conditions, expected an Olympics bonus e.t.c I have no sympathy with them anymore. They have manipulated the system for too long with their self importance.

^^This.
    Everyone in London is sick of them, and their constant complaining about their already very good terms and conditions.
    For me, driverless trains can’t come soon enough.

bokonon
    Free Member

I think anyone who has access to the public transport system available to people in London needs to wind their neck in and be thankful for what they have got, because it’s a darn sight better than the vast majority of the population, tube strikes or no tube strikes.

I think it’s interesting how the media are playing the strikes – they are not reporting on the fact that the ongoing industrial action will affect commuters on the tube on the on 7th, 10th and 14th February 2014 between 09.30 and 11.30 hours and 18.30 and 20.30 hours – when the RMT will cease collecting or enforcing fines – because thats of benefit to commuters personally, they leave that out…as though there is a wider anti-union agenda to the reporting, not just reporting the information as it is.

grantway
    Free Member

^^This.
    Everyone in London is sick of them, and their constant complaining about their already very good terms and conditions.
    For me, driverless trains can’t come soon enough.

Well thats CRAP as once they had to struck because they in a wage settlement had that the Management
    make the station toilets usable for the women staff But They never did and that they had to strike to get the Management to correct for the the Female staff to use.

Not only that these people that are working with the Management had a problem when we had the recent BOMBINGS on the UNDERGROUND the MANAGEMENT told the drivers that all trains had been cleared of all persons belongings and should start a back to normal service. !

Well the DRIVERS went back on the trains to start a NORMAL SERVICE but had the trains cleared NO they
    had not and so the DRIVRS stopped service.
    (This was on the CENTRAL LINE ) So what did the Management do ? Well Boots gave a box of Chocolates
    to All the staff on the Underground and the Management held the kind Gesture BACK for a short period !
    This is what we as Customers are up against day in day out.

grantway
    Free Member

when the RMT

Its NOT an RMT strike !

bokonon
    Free Member

Its NOT an RMT strike !

The RMT and the TSSA are both on strike, it is an RMT strike, as well as being a TSSA strike.

popstar
    Free Member

Well LU staff are delicate flowers for sure, with excellent pay etc etc. But, their union is very good indeed. Unions do very well to defend and represent their members etc. I personally can’t see that much of value in LU staff knowing what they have to do to get paid that much but man, have you seen what amounts of monies TfL (management) waste?

So this thing is not really about money saving, but more about idealogical executions. Automated trains and stations? 24 hour service? Would you like your pregnant spouse be stuck on a broken automated train under ground, or lonely daughter at unmanned train station at night with rowdy crowd?

There are many specific issues to consider before executing such a new age advancements, even then you might say DLR are allready automated. They are not.

Why Mayor or TfL don’t want/tell people how much will those modern age technology cost?

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Who can blame staff for being discontent… no doubt rumours have been rife for years about the various underground injustices:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU7nL0A6ASM[/video]

now I’m no mathematician, but what are the odds?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKvkhe3rqtc[/video]

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So this thing is not really about money saving, but more about idealogical executions. Automated trains and stations? 24 hour service? Would you like your pregnant spouse be stuck on a broken automated train under ground, or lonely daughter at unmanned train station at night with rowdy crowd?

Great points, how does the driver fix the train and deliver the baby?
    Can the driver get out and come to the assistance of your daughter? (who incidentally appears to be as yet un born as the first example states)
    Is the driver also monitoring the train, driving it and watching CCTV from all the carriages?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkyTrain_(Vancouver)
    fully automated public transport

jtintheuk
    Free Member

I feel like a sardine, in a can!!!
    Thanks RMT!!

kimbers

well Borris has certainly managed to rack up a lot of strikes under his mayorship

The crowds of people at bus stops was amusing,(felt like waving as I cycled by) Im sure itd be quicker to walk as there was a lot more cars on the road anyway

Im also amazed more people dont just cycle
    on the other hand saw a lot of very wobbly/light jumping/ risk taking cyclists on the roads!
    This would be a good day to get those police back at the junctions like they had at the start of the year

MrWoppit
    Free Member

So apparently, TfL want to make 950 redundancies and 1,000 staff have expressed interest in the redundancy package being offered.

Allegedley, only 70% of the 30% of union members who bothered to vote, thought the “issues” were worth it…

Northwind

Mr Woppit – Member

Allegedley, only 70% of the 30% of union members who bothered to vote, thought the “issues” were worth it…

That’s enough to form a government…

kimbers

woppit thats better numbers than Borris got to be elected mayor!

popstar
    Free Member

Mikewsmith …

SkyTrain Attendants (STAs) are present to provide first aid, directions and customer service, inspect fares, monitor train faults, and operate the trains manually if necessary.

That link you threw, looks like no different to DLR trains.

Good point about driver fixing train. Would passengers sort out train problems if they arose themselve? Have you ever seen or used DLR trains and seen its attendants (train drivers)* in action? Do you really think automated technology is cheapest most reliable solution?

I can tell you for sure, it sounds very promising on a paper but in reality its very different. You don’t even realise how much will it cost and how those Boris ideas will impact travel fares never mind many people loosing jobs.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Yes, isn’t it odd that a body which is voted in by a tiny minority if the vote-registered public, demand different procedures from vote-registered union members.

However, still doesn’t make it a majority…

MSP

However, still doesn’t make it a majority.

It is a considerable majority of those who voted, it is as democratic as any system we have.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

kimbers said:

I think its quite funny when all the morlocks are forced to come blinking from their tunnels on strike day and have to navigate their way above ground!

I had to use the tube in November last year because I was in the early stages of recovering from my broken back and I soon became astonished that people put up with this crappy form of travel five days a week.

I couldn’t wait to get back on a bike and did so even though it was too soon and I had to double up the pain killers. Nothing’s worth putting yourself through that nightmare on a daily basis, staff or no staff

brakes
    Free Member

pretty bonkers out there this morning on the way into the city.
    lots of traffic jams – more buses, more cars and people getting taxis to work getting dropped off in inappropriate places causing more jams. certainly a test of balance weaving around the traffic.
    and of course plenty more pedestrian lemmings throwing themselves into the road.

footflaps

It is a considerable majority of those who voted, it is as democratic as any system we have.

One can only assume that those who didn’t vote don’t care…..

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Loads of “Morlocks” have walked in today and keep saying “oh, it only took 5 minutes longer than getting the tube….” Yes, thats because the tube is incredibly slow and it takes about 10 minutes just to get to the train.

andyrm
    Free Member

Thing is, the more they strike, the more they sway public opinion towards getting rid of them and replacing them with automated systems that don’t strike to try and leverage yet more money……… Bit of a backfire really.

bikebouy
    Free Member

No busses this morning either!!

hatter

..and the more they strike the more people try walking or cycling and realise there are better options for getting to work.

I love the tube for getting around of an evening or weekend but use it in rush hour? No thanks!

MSP

Thing is, the more they strike, the more they sway public opinion towards getting rid of them and replacing them with automated systems that don’t strike to try and leverage yet more money……… Bit of a backfire really.

Only the public stupid enough to buy into the anti union media onslaught, those who are too lazy to look past the headlines. It is always the same no blame apportioned to management forcing through conditions to create distress and fear, and all blame lumped onto the victims of those actions.

Some days I am very happy to have left the UK and moved to a country that hasn’t destroyed the idea of employees having representation in the workplace.

ransos
    Free Member

I think anyone who has access to the public transport system available to people in London needs to wind their neck in and be thankful for what they have got, because it’s a darn sight better than the vast majority of the population, tube strikes or no tube strikes.

Quite. In my experience, public transport in London is better than anywhere else in the UK.

I only wish my union leader was as effective as Bob Crow.

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ agreed, thats why its used by the vast majority of Lonjoners..

brakes
    Free Member

I only wish my union leader was as effective as Bob Crow.

effective at what?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

On the upside: Getting vast salaries for his members for them doing very little.

On the downside: Buggering up Londoner’s get-to-work-and-back transport on an irregular basis.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Ignoring Whoppits usual troll bait his entire job description and sole task is to protect his members interests,all would agree he is very effective at doing this.

I accept everyone right to strike and support them when they do it even if it is bit of a pain for me.

Probably better if we asked why yet another politician has broken a solemn pledge.

Surely we should be able to take them to court – I know it has been tried.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Tube strike London tonight,unions showing their power is still there.’ is closed to new replies.