• This topic has 21 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Jamie.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • TRP Spyres v's the rest
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

I’m seriously contemplating one road bike to do it all and really like the look of the new Genesis Equilibrium Disc Frameset

Obviously being disc, I’ll be needing disc brakes and to keep the cost down as I’d need new wheels too, I though about using cable discs with a mechanical Ultegra 6800 groupset as opposed to the Shimano Hydraulic road discs.

So, how do the Spyres measure up in terms of power & feel? Or any other suggestions?

I’ve had BB5’s before but they’re rather clunky and not very pleasing to the eye.

didgerman
    Free Member

new hy/rd’s? Ebay from taiwan seems to work. Got mine for front, not fitted yet…. 🙄

steve_b77
    Free Member

They don’t look the best though do they

DrP

I’ve spyres on my tripster.
    They look the part, and coupled with yokozuma cables work wonders..

DrP

Xylene
    Free Member

I have cx77 I like them. Fancied the hydro spyers but price or me off.

Really do like the hope setup though with the fancy vtwin thing to run the hydraulics

pryally
    Free Member

I’ve owned bb7, cx77, spyres, hy/rd and now rs685. The rs685 are so much better than all the others in feel and set up. I think the sti lever are designed to pull caliper brakes, I’m sure someone will tell me I’m wrong.

If it was me I’d buy 105 groupset and rs685 levers/brakes.

steve_b77
    Free Member

It works out at roughly £100 more over 6800 STi’s and Spyres for the r685’s. It’s a question of if its worth the money and where else I could cut back to save cash.

The initial thought was to take my existing 6700 group set off my current carbon bike and shift it over and then all id need is wheels, discs and calipers

cynic-al
    Free Member

I can recommend the frame, I got one.

Using 105 disc calipers which are as good as BB7s.

Spyres have both pads moving…so what? Not a reason to buy them in itself.

nemesis
    Free Member

I went from bb7 to spyres. They basically work the same (eg they’re good, plenty of power) but are neater and I’ve found require a little less adjustment to keep them running well.

Jamie
    Free Member

If Spyres and BB7s are the same price, get the Spyres.

….or go nuts and get hydros 8)

oxym0r0n

Much prefer spyres over my bb7s. Pads wear quickly in the muck but just replaced them with v cheap genuine Deore ones – I’ll be replacing my bb7s when I can afford it…

leffeboy

I got Spyres to replace my cx75s when they failed and I really like them, especially having a cable adjuster on the caller for taking up pad wear. They are less faff than the cx75s were and how well they work does seem to come down a lot to how well I get them set up.

If you plan on putting a rack on then it is worth knowing that they don’t protrude from the frame much at all which makes them work nicely with a rack.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I’ve got that frame, bloody love it!

I’ve also got Spyres, the rear is still lacking a bit of power which I’m convinced is the rotor (standard 140mm that came with ’em) ‘cos I’ve got a 160mm Avid on the front which is awesome. These are the first cable discs I’ve ever had and unlike some I wasn’t expecting hydro performance but they’re good, no rubbing and feel nice! I went with Spyres ‘cos they’re much prettier than other offerings and I moved the old 5700 shifters from my race bike. I’d def like to try hydros but if I had hydros I’d want Di2 too, if I’m ditching cable discs I wouldn’t want to be bothering with gear cables either.

cloudnine
    Free Member

What Dr P Said.. the cables make a difference whatever mechanical disc you get.

simondbarnes

I really like my Spyres but if I was building a bike and the price difference between them and 685s was £100 I would make sure I found that extra £100.

Jamie
    Free Member

Depends if the OP has shifters yet. If not, then it would be about £220 vs £340 for the RS685s.

simondbarnes

Depends if the OP has shifters yet. If not, then it would be about £220 vs £340 for the RS685s.

It was the OP that stated the price difference 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

It was the OP that stated the price difference

Read the whole thread, as well as the thread title? Pfft! 😛

pryally
    Free Member

If it was my money I would spend the extra £100. Decent cable could cost £50ish and you will still be faffing with them. I would prefer 105 and 685 than ultegra and spyres especially on a fairly weighty frame…

Jamie
    Free Member

I would prefer 105 and 685 than ultegra and spyres especially on a fairly weighty frame…

You’re not going to get 105 shifters, tho. You will get the non-series R685 shifters, equivalent to Ultegra, and the calipers are R785.

…or to quote Bike-Discoun, you gett:

2 x Dual Control Lever ST-RS685 (left/right)
    2 x Disc Brake Caliper BR-RS785
    2 x Disc Brake Pads J02A Resin
    2 x Brake Hose SM-BH59 1000mm / 1700mm
    2 x Mineraloil SM-DB-Oil 50ml, Tube Joint mounting material,
    2 x gear wire

pryally
    Free Member

I Know what you get as I’ve got them on my tripster. For clarity I Would buy rs685 shifters and rs785 calipers, I would then buy 105 mechs, chainset and cables separately. The shifting on 6800/5800 is vastly improved on previous versions

Jamie
    Free Member

Ah, right. My mistake, apologies.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘TRP Spyres v's the rest’ is closed to new replies.