Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Trout light helmet
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

Anyone know how this is different to the Baby Trout?

Cheers

bonesetter
    Free Member

Or has anyone any pics?

trout
    Free Member

Helmet light is the baby troutlet .
    I have a box full of cases and stuff I just have not assembled any yet

they can be mounted on top of the lid with just a strap or at the front with a nice little cnced mounts

of will fit a bar mount too .

Singletrack have had one since the Puffer race and they did promise a review but dont know what has happened to that

bonesetter
    Free Member

Thanks, what is the lumen (theoretical) output?

Is this the same as the 'Baby Trout' listed on your web site, or another light?

And, where does the battery locate – remotely or on the helmet?

trout
    Free Member

that depends on which leds go in

if all xpgs the max would be 1404 lumen this would be a floody beam

for a spotty beam then I would use xpes so the lumens would be

or an allrounder would be 2 of each so a max of 1200 lumens

it is the same as on the website I just have not got round to updating .

battery is a 4 cell smudge job so in the camelbak may be a tad heavy for the lid .

bonesetter
    Free Member

Hmmm… wonder if Smudger could rustle up a suitable helmet battery – that would be the deal clincher..?

trout
    Free Member

It can be done with a 2 cell battery in fact I lent one to the photographer and reporter who did the bike radar interview .

only problem was she used it on hi all the time and depleted the battery in 50 minutes .

it would have lasted a lot longer using med and low power and hi for the fast bits .

If I had detuned it a little she would have got 1 hour 30 mins on hi
    or 4 hours on medium .
    so a good length ride would have been achievable with a 2 cell on the back of the lid .

Smudge is looking into a Lithium polymer set up

How heavy is acceptable for the battery pack as one of smudges 4 cells is 203 grammes ideally a 3 cell pack would be the best for the Troutlet so that would be 150 grammes plus 100 grammes for the light head

smudge
    Free Member

working on a 3 cell battery as we speak 8)

bonesetter
    Free Member

I've never used a lid battery and haven't gone that far in to know weights.

The popular Ay-Ups seem to get the OK, and look OK from what I've seen of them – balancing the weight of the light. I don't know the weights of those batteries…

I suppose with the lumen output of the Troutlet, it's not a deal breaker having a back pack lead. TBH I would prefer duration over a lid battery. 50 mins does seem a little short

How long will your 3 cell last Smudge? (Mick told me on Thursday's Wyre ride you liked his Clent tour – my local riding)

smudge
    Free Member

Hi bonesetter,
    Amazing ride round Clent 8) Mick 100% ace guy and probs 80% fitter 😆

Faffy & I need to keep in touch with you guys as fairly local rides to us and we didnt realise Clent had so much to offer!!

As for the 3 cell, will need to chat to Troutie, but cant see any problems meeting up for evening Clent rides to sort out problems 8)

Keep in touch though, via Mick or the weekly emails?

Smudge

bonesetter
    Free Member

Will do & hopefully meet up soon – there's dust on them hills at the mo. Was out today on Racing Ralphs – uber fast

Looking at my Troutie LL, I'm tempted to just go for one of those on my lid too 😯 😛

Or is that just silly? – probably

Nigel

juan
    Free Member

Trout don't bother with weight 😉
    Just run a longer cable and keep the batterie in the bag/jacket

sp
    Free Member

Hmmm

"Smudge is looking into a Lithium polymer set up"

Now this could be the deal breaker for the Ayup Adventure V4

smudge
    Free Member

"Smudge is looking into a Lithium polymer set up"

Is nothing secret on here 8)
    It would be so much easier if there was a 'standard connector' that all bike light Co's stuck too.

sp
    Free Member

Is nothing secret on here

My lips are sealed 😉

berni
    Free Member

sp, would have thought the ayups were in a way lower league that Trouties lights, seen 20 + sets running and they all have a piss poor output. Only seen one trout light and it was way ahead.
    Also feel that ayup have say on their collective backsides and not been bothered to up their light's outputs in keeping with everybody else

trout
    Free Member

Sorry Smudge Didnt realise it was classified on the Li Po`s 😉

I have in the past tried the 4 cell on the back of the lid and it was too heavy made the helmet rock a bit more than usual

this is my set up on the camelbak has been great for 2 years now though the light on the helmet has changed nearly every ride depending on what I have built up

I got this nice little Lowepro camera case it was £10 at the time but is ace for the job and quick on and off the bag

Lib on the helmet is OK but it does need a bit of faffing to get the position right as it does not work with the helmet mount .

sp
    Free Member

sp, would have thought the ayups were in a way lower league that Trouties lights, seen 20 + sets running and they all have a piss poor output. Only seen one trout light and it was way ahead.
    Also feel that ayup have say on their collective backsides and not been bothered to up their light's outputs in keeping with everybody else

As far as brightness goes from what I know Trout lights are a lot brighter than Ayups. However having been fortunate to have been loaned some Ayups I did find the the 600 lumen's (I think this what they claimed) fine for the purpose and coupled with the very long battery burn times and low overall weight. So if something fulfils this criteria then they will be a contender for my cash

bonesetter
    Free Member

I would say 1200 lumens is needed if running a LL bar mounted.

I say this as when using my iBlaast! lid mounted it just doesn't cut it with the Troutie on the bar at 2.2K lumens! In fact it looks positively weak next to it.

My Nightlightning iB is a 2nd gen with an output of I am guessing of ~750 (theoretical 900)

goog
    Free Member

while you're monitoring the thread Smudge

whats going on with the OS quick release mount you promised my GF after she bought one of your lights ?

bigsi
    Free Member

if all xpgs the max would be 1404 lumen this would be a floody beam

for a spotty beam then I would use xpes so the lumens would be

or an allrounder would be 2 of each so a max of 1200 lumens

Am i reading this right ?
    Doe's the helmet mount come with sunglasses to protect against the glare ?
    How much is this unit ?

Sorry I've not been following the Trout light threads that closely 😕

singletrackmatt

Trout- Light will be reviewed- Once it's been used enough ;]

Matt

trout
    Free Member

Cool Cheers Matt be dark soon 😆

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Trout light helmet’ is closed to new replies.