Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Trough of Bowland
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Just did this ride from Preston, up through Longridge, through the Trough and down to Garstang. The Trough itself is apparently widely renowned amongst roadies.

I have to say the scenery was very pleasant, much like parts of Mid Wales but with more manor houses and fancy looking tourist accomodation. The road itself was a singletrack lane which would have been brilliant in itself, like a road version of Brechfa, but the road surface was shocking. Bad enough to really ruin the flow of the descents in places, and kind of off-putting overall. Take a cyclocross bike if you have one, seriously! The triple would come in handy too, the trough itself is pretty steep. I was heaving away in 39/27 and only just made it without breaking me or the bike. Take glasses too – I’ve never seen so many flies.

All in all though a lovely ride, definitely one from the top drawer.

tomaso
    Free Member

Its a shame its just a Dukes playground for shooting things, otherwise you could ride your mountain bike there a bit more.

tomaso
    Free Member

Oh and northern side up from the Lune valley is very nice for biking if you like it steep and twisty with grass growing in the middle of the road.

molgrips
    Free Member

Its a shame its just a Dukes playground for shooting things, otherwise you could ride your mountain bike there a bit more.

You know, I did notice a serious lack of inviting looking trails.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

You “could” Tom, just hypothetically of course, find some descent riding from Fell Foot. Needs some prolonged dry weather though, and light nights to avoid the need for lights, which might attract the attention of gamekeepers who’d be inclined to think it was someone out lamping.

You know, I did notice a serious lack of inviting looking trails.

You’re not looking hard enough Molgrips.

Now, where to go next week whilst we’ve got light nights and a prolonged dry spell … Any ideas?

traildog
    Free Member

There is some nice mountain biking and of course Gisburn forest just up the road. Pity there isn’t more legal stuff, but you can have a good days off road riding in that area.

Not sure about the cross bike comment, it’s not the best road surface but it’s not that bad! A road bike easily handles it and it’s hardly as bad as cobbles!
    I always like the trough as a climb. Always lots of roadies around there to play with and the cafe in Dunsop bridge is usualy a nice sociable stop. I will head there if I want a road ride and have no one to go with!

I find the climbs around Longridge fell that bit steeper and slightly harder. And of course Pendal hill is a good one. In fact, that whole area is really great for road riding.

stever
    Free Member

Ascent from the West is a lovely steady climb, without the gratuitous steepness of the other side. There’s some cracking legal offroad riding too. Look for the dashes on the map.

xiphon
    Free Member

Those roads are absolutely fantastic for driving, never mind cycling! Single track road, wide field of vision, national speed limit ?? Yes please!!

Took our TT for a test drive up there 😉

jimc101
    Free Member

Was riding there yesterday, and will be again on Sunday, thought the roads were in pretty good condition compared to a lot, was coming from Sabden/Read thru Whalley, and the back roads there were in way worse condition than the Trough of Bowland

crazy-legs

Some of the roads were badly affected by the heavy rain recently, it washed loads of gravel and crap onto them.

Otherwise it’s a fantastic area for road cycling. I did a nice loop from Settle out to High Benthem then over to Slaidburn 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Trough of Bowland’ is closed to new replies.