Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Easton Haven Stem and carbon bars… suitable for a Singular Swift?
  • womble72
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at various stem/bar combos and keep seeing the haven name cropping up as being decent kit but they are described as AM. What is AM and is it suitable for Single speed XC hammering?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

No, god will begin killing kittens as soon as you start riding them.

womble72
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member

Eh?

rewski
    Free Member

Not sure if this is a wind up. AM is All Mountain, specifically bikes with 140 to 160 front or rear suss, the bars are wider 700 at least. If you’re more XC focused then wide AM bars might be too wide for narrow forest st, but saying that I’ve got easton haven bar and stem combo and an am bike and I ride xc most of the time, I’ve had a few clipping incidents though.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I’d be more concerned about the exploding wheels.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I have the Easton Haven bars and stem combo on my XC hardtail (26″) which I use for commuting and XC and find them ideal.
    I went for the shiny option rather than carbon though, they look much better IMO.

womble72
    Free Member

I’ve currently got EA50 bars and a Race Face deus stem… both are old and scuffed. Was Either thinking replacing like for like or spending a bit extra on something better?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Yeah why not??

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you have them or want them then use them, no one appart from rewski will care that they have ‘AM’ in the marketing 😛

I’ve got a thompson stem and Easton EA70 flat bars on mine which suit it nicely IMO.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I did the same move. Loved my EA whatevers at 675mm wide. The Haven’s (711mm) have the same cosy Easton shape, they felt wide for about 10 minutes then ideal.
    I have the Havocs (750mm) on my full sus to keep that cosy Easton wiggle, now the Havens actually feel a bit narrow.

rewski
    Free Member

I like AM because it’s my initials 😉

thompson stem

I bet you’ve got a thompson seatpost too.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I bet you’ve got a thompson seatpost too.

It was in the rules 🙁

womble72
    Free Member

I see. Thanks for the All Mountain explanation. I quite like the idea of wider bars but was unsure that Eastons Haven stuff would be overkill or not appropriate for XC riding on me Swift… A bit like having a down hill full susser and then just using it for towpaths etc.

andyl
    Free Member

If you want wide bars on your XC bike then go for it.

I’m running carbon havocs on my bike and love the width. The Haven and Havoc carbons are a good way to get the width without a much extra weight if it bothers you. Strength and vibration damping where more important to me.

It is annoying me though that I now have a Thomson seat post with a Haven stem and Havoc bars. Did have a 70mm Thomson stem but wanted to shorten it to 55mm – made the bike so responsive but I need to work on my weight distribution on rocky down hill bits now.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I thought if you put AM parts on an XC bike, a crow scratched a baby’s face and a fairy drowned in its tears?

And if you put an Easton bar in a Thomson stem a hole is torn in the fabric of space (so you need to buy a matching stem, like I did, for the sake of the children).

PJM1974
    Free Member

My xc full suss has so called AM bars, stem and cranks on it and is all the better for it.

Cheezpleez

For clarity, fitting AM parts to an XC bike will actually cause Sting to release another lute record, this time with Nick Knowles off DIY SOS on backing vocals.

Please don’t.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Easton Haven Stem and carbon bars… suitable for a Singular Swift?’ is closed to new replies.