Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Trouble sleeping after a big ride?
  • ebennett

Did a fairly big (for me) loop in the Peak yesterday and struggled to sleep last night, kept waking up despite being knackered. Seems to always happen to me after a big ride, can’t really work out why. Anyone else get the same?

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

I’m guessing it might be dehydration. I find if I have loads to drink during and after a long ride then I sleep much better.

Pook

That’d be the endorphins kicking in

flanagaj
    Free Member

I have suffered from that in the past as well. As @Pook mentions, it will be endorhpins and could also be because you over did it?

A couple of things to think about.

1. Was the distance / required effort harder than your usual rides?
    2. Was your average heart rate high for the ride?

Both 1 and 2 can be reasons why you struggle to sleep post ride.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m guessing it might be dehydration.

Yep another couple of pints should do the trick

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Seems to always happen to me after a big ride, can’t really work out why.

how did you fuel your ride? real food or energy gunk

DT78
    Free Member

I have similar issues when I turbo aping the evening (finishing around 8:30, then food, then bed)

Haven’t come across a solution yet, other than not turboing….

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Exercise interrupting sleep is well documented issue. As mentioned endorphins kicking it, if you have trouble with anxiety or insomnia you are advised to avoid exercise late in the day for this reason.

TheBrick
    Free Member

After any physically out of the normal activity I fall asleep easy but wake up afterwards while and sleep badly. My mscules are not too aching but very hot. I think it must be increased blood flow relating the body.

jekkyl

Yup, drink more beer and stay up later.

Nipper99
    Free Member

My grottiness goes on into the next day, feel like I have cold and very hot and tired. I had an oxygen test (slept with a monitor on my finger to test oxygen levels) and I have a sleep apnoea after exercise hence feeling tired!

tomd
    Free Member

I get this sometimes after very big / strenuous rides.

+1 for

Yep another couple of pints should do the trick

Also making sure I eat good quality food during and after the ride and not to go bonkers on caffeinated stuff and having time to wind down in the evening also help.

ebennett

Was a bigger ride than normal by about 50% so not too surprising, just annoying! Have real food during the ride, bananas, sandwiches, etc, but didn’t intend to do a long ride so maybe didn’t have enough – was just too nice a day not to keep going! Had a lot of water too, nice straw coloured wee so don’t think I was dehydrated!

I also get the warm legs after a big ride and the cold-like symptoms the next day, good to hear it’s not just me!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

nice straw coloured wee

I also get the warm legs

I hope you showered after that 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

Never get this

After every big ride i always enjoy the “sleep of the righteous”

trail_rat
    Free Member

Had it once after a 24 hr race but i think that was iendorphins.

Rode 252km yesterday and slept all night like a log. I suspect nuclear holocaust could have happened outside and i wouldnt know.

I always make sure to stay hydrated as much as possible throughout the ride,graze all ride from a top tube feed bag and then i get home and have a good feed plus more water. And maybe a beer or a wine.

Nothing scientific but it works 🙂

footflaps

I get the same after any intense exercise, probably adrenaline / endorphins.

kayla1
    Free Member

Ooh, me too, me too! I try to counter it by rehydrating with with gin and tonic and/or beer when we get home 😆 I always sleep really well the night after though.

bex
    Free Member

HOW has this got to this point without even a ‘wey hey, I have no problem dropping off to sleep after an epic ride, night or day’? It seems that the STW forum has grown up *sobs*.

wonnyj
    Free Member

I have found this after Thursday night fast rides…. Very annoying.

One thing I found to help is to have a cool or cold shower after the ride or before bed

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Cool down properly?

Simon

After big daytime rides I have trouble staying awake!

On the other hand after a nightride I can’t relax and sleep really badly.

nuke

I get this. Its alright on one off big days but its a bit of a mare on biking holidays as everyday is full on so its gets harder and harder over the course of the holiday as i get more sleep deprived…Id like to do the Trans Provence/Savoie but the lack of sleep over the week concerns me 🙁

Jamz
    Free Member

Low magnesium. Try an Epsom Salt bath with plenty of salt.

NZCol

I always struggle to sleep when I’ve been riding, and biking.

singletrackmind

Someone (SIS?) does a nightime recovery sleep drink . Maybe you need to try this . I suffer the same after big days out , say 50% more than usual.
    I hate the sensation of ‘my body is knackered and needs to sleep to regenerate .- But my mind is going about 100mph and wont lift off the accelerator’ its not pleasant

thecaptain
    Free Member

I find ibuprofen useful for a good nights sleep after a hard ride. May be a bit of a placebo thing going on, but I’m not going to knock it!

singletrackmind

sis nocte is the one, thanks gooogle

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Trouble sleeping after a big ride?’ is closed to new replies.