Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Dogs in England must be microchipped from April 2016 or £500 fine
  • mrsfry
    Free Member

BBC

You could face a £500 fine if your dog doesn’t meet this new law

Avoid the £500 fine and get your dog chipped before April

squirrelking
    Free Member

Not just England, there are laws covering Scotland and Wales as well coming in at the same time.

http://www.bva.co.uk/News-campaigns-and-policy/Policy/Companion-animals/Microchipping/

5thElefant
    Free Member

How will they know who to send the fine to?

mrsfry
    Free Member

The one with the poop bag in their hand

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Trail dogs could be chipped and linked to strava or trainer road via ANT+ . Good times

gwaelod
    Free Member

Strava DoMs excellent idea.

godzilla
    Free Member

Its unlikely they’ll do much to enforce this.

jimster01

If the government are concerned about saving money they should stop passing laws that won’t be enforced

CheesybeanZ

Had an interesting conversation with a new owner , she thought that because her pup had been micro chipped she didn’t need a collar and tag .
    As above whose going to enforce the new legislation , in 30 yrs of dog ownership we’ve never seen our local dog warden . Even after one of our dogs was attacked they never bothered with a follow up to try and prosecute the owner .

Onzadog
    Free Member

Perhaps it could be enforced by the same people who stop drivers using handheld mobile phones

bikebouy
    Free Member

Being an ex dog owner, I think they ought to chip the owners too.

teethgrinder

Surely they can only be chipped if you use them on private land?

konabunny
    Free Member

They need to tighten up on dog emissions

mrlebowski
    Free Member

It’s extremely useful should you lose your dog, as the chip can scanned & the pet returned.

mattyfez

It’ll do nothing to stop irresponsible dog owners being irresponsible.
    It’s useful for responsible dog owners as above, if it gets lost/stolen it can easily be identified.

As someone above mentioned, mobile phone use in cars is rife, and whilst fineable, not really enforceable, like middle lane hogging.

How do they plan to enforce it, issue all plods with wands so they can swipe any dogs they come across?

Olly
    Free Member

Easy enough to “enforce”: all lost dogs without chips get destroyed by default. Doubt many doggy types would risk it once a few had been done. (I’m not a dog person. Does it show?)

botk
    Free Member

Easy enough to “enforce”: all lost dogs without chips get destroyed by default. Doubt many doggy types would risk it once a few had been done. (I’m not a dog person. Does it show?)

as the dog is unable to arrange its own chip, the responsibility and therefore the consequences should fall on the owner. (I’m not a people person. Does it show?)

footflaps

in 30 yrs of dog ownership we’ve never seen our local dog warden

Do they even exist anymore, never seen one in my life, just one of those things they used to have in the olden days….

mrlebowski
    Free Member

hammyuk
    Free Member

Olly – Member

Yes – on every thread remotely concerning dogs when you post 🙄

MrSmith
    Free Member

And cats should be chipped too.

footflaps

And cats should be chipped too.

I think most are now, ours came chipped which is very handy for the cat flap which is only works for them via the RFID chips.

CheesybeanZ

footflaps – Member in 30 yrs of dog ownership we’ve never seen our local dog wardenDo they even exist anymore, never seen one in my life, just one of those things they used to have in the olden days….

They seem too

http://www.animalwardens.co.uk/lost-found-dogs-search/all-dog-warden-phone-numbers

scandal42
    Free Member

Most councils have dog wardens.

Micro chipping is important and useful imho, and it isn’t just the scumbags that don’t chip dogs, there are plenty of dog owners with nothing but good intentions who end up with issues relating from not having a dog chipped, this will help the huge swathes of stupid people out there who seem to be missing the all important common sense gene.

Miss Scandal deals regularly with issues that would be easily managed if people had their dogs chipped from the start.

slowoldman

Dogs and chips!!

benp1

Most dogs bought from good breeders come chipped as standard (sounds like a car…)

A collar with your basic details on seems fairly sensible to me, in case little matey goes missing

I met our local dog warden about 2 years ago, and helped catch a wary, stray/lost bull terrier of some sort, a big one at that. Also called them when we ‘found’ a rottweiler on our road (long story) – the owners also called them and come along to our house to pick the dog up

Drac

The unruly aren’t going to chip dogs anymore than they do now. It’ll help get dogs back to their owners if they go missing and maybe reduce in dogs being abandoned.

Of course wardens exist I believe there’s even been TV shows following them.

mattyfez

Dog and chips… Mmmmmm (insert picture of Homer Simpson drooling).

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Dogs in England must be microchipped from April 2016 or £500 fine’ is closed to new replies.