Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Triumph Herald for first Car?
  • Pigface
    Free Member

You’ve lost an Amazon 😯

wwaswas

it would seem possible 🙁

Not actually seen it from some years – it was with the bloke on a ‘do it when you have time’ basis. He was notoriously bad at actually getting on with stuff and I wasn’t too bothered about chasing him more than once every 6 months.

It had a 123GT engine and gearbox in it too…

Pigface
    Free Member

Weeps genlty into his keyboard 😳

BigJohn

A Triumph Herald Convertible (516 EOJ) was my first car in 1971. About 4 years later I got another (GVT 722 D) They were always breaking down, MOT’s were a time of fear and the outriggers would rot as you watched.

The half shafts used to snap and the starter used to fail.

The good thing was that the front opening bonnet meant you could sit on the front wheel whilst adjusting the tappets, plugs and points. Every weekend.

Do yourself a favour and get a warm dry reliable car instead and spend all that time doing something you enjoy.

ajc
    Free Member

I had a spit as my first car. Great fun and I learned an awful lot about spannering/welding/respraying/rewiring. They were pretty bad cheap rusty cars when I had mine 20 years ago so god knows what most of them are like now.

oldgit
    Free Member

I’ve owned and restored loads of Spitfires.
    You can almost repair, replace and weld anything on these cars in a lunch hour!
    IME the worst areas are the sections in the front floor pans and the windscreen lower corners. Everything else is welded at raised seams.
    Mechanicals are easy, but check what engine the car has, as many have later less powerful 1300 or 1500’s. It’s an easy check and it means you’ll get the right service parts.
    You’ll need an oil and grease gun. Look up trunions and you’ll see why.
    Chrome – if you get an older model make sure it has it’s overiders as this was when I used to build them the only thing you couldn’t buy.
    It’s been 15 years since my last build, that was a full body off job.
    My last one was a 1965 Spitfire 4, not a mark 1V.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

What About this little beauty?
    Well this is the model im attracted to anyway!
    http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C213065/#

CountZero

Lewis, that’s a nice little car. Later model, and if all the resto work’s up to scratch, then it looks like a good car to own. Lots of fun to own and drive, and a really pretty car. I’d go for it.

wwaswas

My cars still there and I have a number for the guys brother so it looks like I may get the car back after all.

yunki
    Free Member

I always wanted a Herald for my first car 25 years ago.. my stepdad.. who restored vehicles for a living talked me out of it and into getting something newer and comfier and more reliable..

this is because he knew full well that I didn’t have the dedication to devote every spare waking minute to restoring and repairing and maintaining..

he was right of course..

Olly
    Free Member

She sold it and bought a freelander

i realise this is your sister, but what a ****

(Twit, but rhymes with Cat)

sefton
    Free Member

spitfire all day!

or a vitesse? straight 6 8)

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C210276/

wwaswas

dug out and scanned a picture of it, feelign quite motivated to get it sorted out and back on the road now;

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Triumph Herald for first Car?’ is closed to new replies.