Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • "Trigger's Broom" bikes… Have you got one?
  • mboy
    Free Member

You know what I mean, “I’ve had this broom years, never let me down. It’s only had 3 new handles and 4 new heads” a la Trigger off Only Fools and Horses…

Just been thinking about this, cos I’m finding myself in the strange position where for the first time ever, I’m about to get to the point where on one of my bikes, there will be NOTHING left from its original build. And I mean nothing! I will have changed everything, last things about to be done are the frame (ti version of the same in 853 steel about to replace it), seatpost (ti frame needs a bigger one), cranks (got some XT going spare now to replace SLX) and bars (got some flat ones to try instead of low rise). Once I’ve done that, not one thing will be the same on the bike as when I first built it! But ironically, it won’t look all that different as the steel frame is painted in an almost titanium colour anyway!

Share your similar experiences… And pics if you have them (before and after too).

clubber
    Free Member

Pretty much all my bikes really since my first in ’94 as they got upgraded.

bassspine
    Free Member

my ‘work’ bike is a steel larkspur. The frame and the stem are the only original bits. It’s a really nice frame 🙂 no photos though. Someone once said to me that bikeability instructors’ bikes are always really worthy, with bells and reflective stickers, festooned in lights and panniers…

jonb
    Free Member

My current hardtail has been made from my first bike. 2nd frame + one paint job, second set of forks, 3rd set of wheels, second set of brakes. The only remaining original parts are the rear disc and the lever on the QR clamp (not the collar though).

mboy
    Free Member

No qualifiers yet, still got original parts in the build! Needs to have had EVERY component swapped to qualify… 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I spose my hack/commuter/pikey bikey is the only one that qualifies really.

It’s currently a hybrid with 27c wheels, but it was once an mtb.

Always some components make their way onto the ‘new’ frame, but eventually everything has changed.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I have two!

My 2004 Enduro has been through two headsets, five forks, two shocks, three wheel builds, three sets of cranks, three sets of brakes, four handlebars, three stems, seven saddles, four seatposts, twenty tyres, seven cassettes and fifteen chains.

It’s the same old bike though.

My 2009 Wolf Ridge has had new wheels, three forks, a new set of brakes, a change of saddle and post, new bars, a new stem, new tyres and three tubeless kits.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My first ‘proper’ mtb was a carrera fury, the yellow and silver one with the shotgun downtube.

It lasted a while, needed a new rear mech, went with LX rapid rise.

I still have the same bike, the frames been changed twice, and everythign else is new, but the mech and headset spacers are still the same………

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve got one…
    No pic of it’s orginal incarnation of a K2 Razorback frame (from Ebay),
    Frame was changed to a Merlin Malt –

Forks went from the Pace, to Marzocchis, then this frame turned up on STW

all the bits swapped over to the HJ

Then some wheels (Crosstrails) from STW, brakes went from the odd ones in that pic (Hope front, Shimano rear), to Juicy 4s, then white Juicy 5s.
    Forks (STW) then Fox Floats. Bars Monkeylites, stem nicked off my wifes, grips off my Yeti, seat post off the Yeti..
    Most recently the cranks were swapped cos the Yeti ones were creaking.
    So there is just 1 single component the same as it’s original build.
    The saddle.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

I can see my current Evil being a bit like that. It already has plenty of recycled bits on, and I have plans to upgrade literally every component as and when I can afford. Not sure about the frame itself, but some sort of matched geometry Ti frame might be a suitable replacement…

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

Not a bike but the rear wheel on my SS commute. The rim had been replaced three times (run V’s so wear out) had about 2 wheels worth of replacement spokes, free hub also been replaced twice. The only thing original is the XT hub body.

stevomcd
    Free Member

I’ve never had a complete new bike since my first ever MTB got stolen back in about 2002 !

4 frames, 3 wheelsets, 3 brakesets, 3 or 4 complete drivetrains, 4 forks, seatposts as required, 3 stems, 3 saddles, only 2 bars I think… still the same bike… 😀

Definitely nothing original (not even headset spacers!) but I think one rim (not the whole wheel) was at least used with the original frame!

AlasdairMc

I bought my 2004 Enduro second hand with a near stock build. The wheels, forks, brakes, bars, saddle, post, chainset, mechs, chain/cassette/rings and stem have all gone – I think the headset and shifters are the only originals remaining.

Mr_C
    Free Member

Never really thought about it but my current bike is completely made up of different parts from the original.

Started life as a 96 Orange P7 LX bought new – it is now based on a 06 Specialized FSR with XT components. The only possible things which could be carried over from the original are the gear cable outers but I’m almost certain these were replaced at some point.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’m still on my original bike from 97.

It’s had 5 sets of forks, 5 sets of wheels, 3 frames, 4 sets of bars, 5 sets of brakes, 3 sets of cranks and lots of sets of other stuff. After 14 years it’s pretty much still like new.

farty81
    Free Member

My ’96 Marin Palisades Trail, resprayed and now a ‘Fart Chance’ is pretty much a Trigger’s broom and when I buy my mate’s In-bred frame and replace the seat post it will be completely unoriginal. Will buy some suspensions forks to make more of a trail bike rather than xc racer.

Upgrades over the years:
    – Brakes: canti’s (orig); xt v’s (the noisy ones); lx v’s; hs33s; formula one front disc; back to hs33s.
    – Drive-train: STX (orig); xt/lx 9spd mix; single-speed; 2×8 xt thumbie set-up.
    – Forks: steel rigids (orig); Bombers; Psylos; P2s.

meehaja
    Free Member

my old GT featured the frame and seat clamp of my first mountain bike when i was 16. Everything else had been changed. went t a good home and got polished into a shiney new bike!

momo

Yep got one here too, only bit left from the original 2000 build is the seatpost. Changed the frame last year and carried all the parts over barring new headset, BB and cables since then it’s had new chainset, forks, brakes, stem, front wheel and tyres.

mboy
    Free Member

I have two!

My 2004 Enduro has been through two headsets, five forks, two shocks, three wheel builds, three sets of cranks, three sets of brakes, four handlebars, three stems, seven saddles, four seatposts, twenty tyres, seven cassettes and fifteen chains.

It’s the same old bike though.

My 2009 Wolf Ridge has had new wheels, three forks, a new set of brakes, a change of saddle and post, new bars, a new stem, new tyres and three tubeless kits.

Yeah, but neither of them have had a new frame… You NEED to have had a new frame (yet still refer to it as the same old bike) to even begin to qualify I think! 😉

DezB, I think you can get away with just the original saddle left on your bike, I’ll give you that one…

Mr C, I like your style… It’s still the same bike, despite the fact it was once an Orange P7 and is now a Specialized Enduro.

5th elefant, that’s some good going too…

Let’s see some more pics!

GW
    Free Member

if I understand the rules here I’ve been riding the same bike for 19 years, started out as an 18″ rigid alloy muddy fox XC bike that I swapped my far too large for me Cannondale for, first ever ride was a scottish XC race in the borders, after a few years racing/riding I eventually got 80mm? Judy XCs, quite quickly switched to a short stem and risers, then to V-brakes when they came out and a white Bros long travel cart and speed springs, got into downhill racing on it, switched to flats, destroyed a BB that managed to rip the BB threads out the shell and replaced with a little 16″ kinesis frame then newer hydracoil judys, cracked that frame after a few years and replaced with a 14″ (identity but straight from the factory unbranded) jump frame, flaired the headtube on that within weeks and switched to a super short 14″ Baracuda subway DJ frame, by now every part had now been broken and replaced but that frame somehow lasted 9 years (during which time every part was replaced) it had BB7 mechanical discs for the last couple of years until I eventually cracked the headtube with a tired, last run nose heavy 10ft huck to flat at a trail centre of all places, replaced it with the current giant STP frame I now ride with slammed pikes, switched to Juicy 7s, even shorter stem (40mm) Saint cranks, hope hubs on 721s (now dual duty FR/mavic 521?.. am just about to switch to a 20mm reba, hope hoops flow rear and SLX brakes.
    had over a hundred other bikes in that time but always kept this one as my do-everything hardtail and I’ll keep riding it til it breaks. 😉

kiwijohn

I started with an Avanti Hammer V in 97, which morphed into a Salsa Ala Carte. None of the Avanti remains now.

Bregante

My 08 Enduro sl.
    swapped the bars pretty much straight out of the shop. Then upgraded the wheels as the dt Swiss were made of cheese. Ruined the rear mech in the Pyrenees. In the last 6 months it’s gone mad! New forks (lyrik uturns) and 2 new shocks, a Van RC and an rp23. Replacing the old forks meant I needed a new front hub any way so picked up some switch Enduro wheels. I also needed a new stem, so bought new bars to match. Also got some new Avid Elixirs as they made the rest of the bike look scruffy.

New shifters and front mech needed now (and a Thomson seatpost)

no desire to replace the frame as yet……
    Unless I get a Heckler, or a Mega, or ……

Bregante

Edit: new SLX crankset fitted too! 😳

mrh86

1)Started with a GT avalanche c. ’97 which I got 2nd hand in about 2000.
    2)Fitted some bombers, some riser bars and a shorter stem around 2006/2007.
    3) 2007: bar, stem and forks transferred to a merlin malt 1 build.
    4) 2008: 2nd hand Ti456 frame + new RS revelations + everything else from merlin malt1 built up.

Fast forward to now: Not one part remains on my 456 from malt 1 (new wheels, new bars, stem, saddle, post, mechs, etc etc)

I_Ache
    Free Member

My problem with this is that as I see it when you change the frame it is a different bike. This could be because I call my bike The Enduro or The 456 etc.

But according to your rules I started with a Zaskar that evolved into a DMR Switchback which then evolved into a Medium 05 Enduro which then evolved into a Large 06 Enduro. Then after a couple of sales and changes around I ended up with a 456 which has now evolved into a Medium 06 Enduro. The wife has the 456 now.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I have one like that.

My 04 Mount Vision has now only the rear swing arm and wheels as original. Drivetrain changed of course as it wore out, new shifting system ‘cos the XT came in black 😆 as did the replacement Formula Oro K18 brakes. Seatpost and saddle changed early on as was the stem and bars. Bolloxed up the mainframe last year so ATB sold me a new front triangle, now have a bike that says Mount Vision on the swing arm and Mount Vision Pro on the main frame! 8)

CHB

mboy…not a rocklobster ti frame by any chance?

clubber
    Free Member

Marin pine mountain -> Kona Kilauea -> Marin DHFRS -> Scott G Zero -> Inbred -> Pace RC303 -> 456 -> Spesh Enduro -> Rocky Mountain Element -> Giant NRS -> Singular Swift

Same bike in that the frames have been built up with the existing components but obviously not. And that’s just my main MTB 😉

richcc
    Free Member

My Merlin Malt has morphed into a Cotic Soul. Think the handlebars and rear wheel lasted longest. For a long time I was running some mushroom type grips that originally started on my M-Trax Ti 3000(?). Bike is really always a work in progress, parts getting upgraded when they break, wear out or there’s a deal on something that either tidied it up or is an upgrade. Maybe it’s because I’m so happy with the Soul
    Frame but I can’t really imagine just going out and buying an entire new bike, and in a way wouldn’t want to

bol

Mine dates back to when my Sanderson was nicked in Feb 2008. It started off like this (not this actual bike mind):

and now looks like this:

Lots of bits have changed twice. The only bits that ever hung on the original frame (although not from the factory) are the wheels, stem and bars.

trailmonkey

pah – changing components doesn’t count. i have the ultimate trigger’s broom bike :-

Cotic Hemlock frame – 08 (I think)
    Front triangle recalled, changed
    Rocker plates made of tin foil, replaced
    Pearl shock, piston deanodised due to movement on frame, changed
    Swing arm, welded to pivot bolt, shonky maintenance changed
    Pivot bolt, see above changed.

Parts of original frame left – seat stays, about to be changed as metal worn thin from rubbage.

Do I care, nope. Best broom I’ve ever ridden.

Mr_C
    Free Member

Mr C, I like your style… It’s still the same bike, despite the fact it was once an Orange P7 and is now a Specialized Enduro FSR.

As far as I’m concerned it’s still the same bike. I’ve only ever had one bike – not since I got the P7 in 96 have I got off one bike and got onto another, the whole thing has been an evolution to where I am now via a Trek 9000 frame.

yunki
    Free Member

my triggers broom is my only bike.. and so it will always be.. unless something extraordinary happens..

jimmy

My faithful 1993 KHS Montana Comp (until recently nicked). Only the cantilevers are still from the original bike. Frame included – even that was replaced.

bigyinn
    Free Member

My enduro expert 03 frame cracked and was replaced with an enduro pro 04 frame. The only item from the original is the seat clamp. Everything else has been changed.
    Do I win?

mboy
    Free Member

Think GW epitomises the Triggers Broom bike the best so far…

And the frame in question CHB is a Genesis Altitude, not a Rock Lobster.

EDIT: Not bad bigyinn, not bad, but you’ve got one original component though!

Hareydan
    Free Member

I ride a pace rc405 with disc brakes that started life in 99 as a v-braked kona muni-mula. Had to buy new bb/cranks/seatpost/front mech when I built it up due to different tube diameters and a year or so ago I replaced the comfortable but knackered saddle. Only part from the original build left are the pedals (which I guess disqualifies me??) but I have to say, for a 100mm forked hard tail with a long stem and narrow bars it descends like a dream 😉

16stonepig
    Free Member

My current hardtail has had 3 different forks, 3 different sets of brakes, 2 frames, various seatposts/stems/bars, about 4 crankset/bb/ring combinations, 2 saddles, 3 pairs of pedals and 8 wheels.

The only thing remaining from the original build is the front mech.

epicsteve
    Free Member

This is my ’03 Epic, originally bought as a complete bike:

The only original bits left are the frame, shock, front mech (an LX one that just won’t die) and headset. Everything else has been changed, in some cases (like forks and wheels) multiple times. It’s been this spec for a couple of years now though, although I’ve got a set of 90mm Floats I might try on it.

A few of my other component sets have moved from frame to frame (e.g. most of the bits on my S-Works Enduro were originally on my Soul) as well.

simon_g

Kind of – went through an Inbred then two variants of PA, swapping bits along the way. I think the Deore mechs and shifters are the only original bits left now, they’ve refused to die so that I can justify nicer ones.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘"Trigger's Broom" bikes… Have you got one?’ is closed to new replies.