Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Trek Fuel EX9 – v – Top Fuel
  • PaulMcG

Hi All

Advice required if you'd be so kind.

On a straight choice between these two frames, what would you go for, and why?. Direct experience would be nice.

I've got an option on either (long story, but it's thanks to Trek's excellent warranty support – thumbs up) and need to make the choice.

Most of what I do is general XC type stuff, nothing too gnarly.

Cheers

Paul

robarnold
    Free Member

Top Fuel will be significantly quicker up hills but twitchier down them. Depends what forks you've got to go on them too. Top Fuel frames are intended to be used with a 100mm fork, whereas the EX 9 frame has an oversized head tube so either needs a 120mm tapered steerer fork or a semi-integrated reducer headset

If it ticks the right boxes in terms of kit compatibility, i'd go for the Top Fuel for it's pace on everything but gnarly descents, it's ideal as a trail bike for most parts of the UK

Fred
    Free Member

I've got a 2010 EX9 frame which I got as a crash replacement for a 2006 (100mm travel front and back) EX9 frame (120mm front and back). I've not ridden the Top Fuel but the difference between the 06 and 09 EX9 frame is massive. The 06 EX9 climbed like a goat on steriods but got a little out of it's depth on techy stuff whereas the 09 frame climbs well (propedal and front locked out) and handles techy stuff like a bigger travel bike.

For general XC the EX9 maybe overkill, but it comes into it's own where I ride – Lakes, Wales and trail centres.

geordiepaul
    Free Member

I have an EX9 and think it's the best bike in the world EVER.
    On my fourth frame that's to Trek excellent warranty (or pap frames whichever you like, I'm fat and heavy though)

Never tried a Top Fuel so can't comment, 100mm travel is a bit girly though don't you think? Every one always wants that bit extra…

jimw
    Free Member

I have an 2009 EX9 as a replacement for a 2008 top fuel 9.9. I really like the EX but for most situations where I ride- Malverns, Welsh trail centres etc.-the top fuel, particularly the latest ones, would be fine for most things. I would think you would be pleased with either. Having said that the EX9 would almost cerainly be easier to sell on if and when you came to that point.

mrmo
    Free Member

i got a top fuel, '07 tf7, because i felt that an ex would be overkill 90% of the time, the majority of trails i ride aren't very rough and have climbs in them. it takes the edge off the bumps and is a little lighter.

njee20
    Free Member

The Top Fuel is a race bike, although I'm impressed with mine, it's pretty confidence inspiring. The Fuel Ex is more 'trail'. If you like to race up the hills then just get down, the Top Fuel is spot on, if you don't mind plodding a bit more on the climbs and really nailing the descents then the Ex is the obvious choice.

I had a 2007 Ex 9.5 and it was a great bike, I'd certainly have a more modern one without hesitation.

PaulMcG

Thanks All

I'm coming from a 2007 EX9, which I liked, but found a little sluggish uphill. The EX9 was itself a replacement for a Klein Palomino V which was a rocket uphill.

Think I'll go for the Top Fuel.

Cheers

Paul

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

ive ridden the top fuel 9.8 and the fuel EX9.8, both really nice and quick, cant comment on the alloy 9 or top fuel as ive not ridden either, but i would be more than happy to race XC on either of the Carbon ones i used……. and the alloy ones are not much heavier. between the 2,for general XC riding id go fuel EX ,but id like to try a top fuel with a 120mm fork, think that would be the perfect set up for me!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Trek Fuel EX9 – v – Top Fuel’ is closed to new replies.