• This topic has 57 replies, 52 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by P20.
Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Transporting muddy bike in a decent car – help with an idea?
  • slofox
    Free Member

I’d suggest a boot liner, it has always worked for me and the best bet I have found are Boot Buddies you can line the whole back of most cars they wipe clean with a damp cloth and line up the sides as well as the floor. definitely worth a look at their website. No I don’t work for them but have used them in a series of different cars with great success.

mtbtom
    Free Member

How about one of these:
    http://www.roofbox.co.uk/safe-bag/

Protects the roof too.

Alex

Duffbag bikebag for me. Might invest in a boot liner when the new car arrives. Mostly carry it on the trailer but that’s not going to help you with a company car. I’ve got one of those mobi washers but rarely (esp on night rides) could I be bothered with cleaning the bike. Stick it in the bag instead.

welshfarmer

I have an unused bag here that might be of use. Just a very big kit bag made out of the stuff HD PVC waterproofs are made of (thick plasticky stuff) and about 90x120cm. Has a drawcord on the opening too. Probably a bit small but if you wanted to try it I would do it for postage and the price of a pint 🙂

PS it is bright orange

mark88

Sounds like you’re already sorted, but just to throw my 2p in, I seen a bike bag in Halfords that I plan on using to store bikes indoor when I move into a place with no garage.

dannyh
    Free Member

Cheers for the help, especially welshfarmer, who was willing to send me something.

I’ve just been and bought a crappy double duvet cover from B&M. As it’s a set with matching crappy pillowcases I now also have two small bags for other stuff!

cliffyc
    Free Member

Rubble sacks,big black thick plastic.Chuck in bike,wheels out,into bag. Clean car,job done.

jeffskowski
    Free Member

The problem I had with the ‘bike in a bag’ method was you had to pack the bike in the bag and this was generally done in a squelchy, muddy car park which meant the bag got covered in the stuff your trying to keep off your car interior. You still got crud everywhere, albeit to a lesser extent.

External carrier has to be the most appropriate solution.

Kryton57

You can get an idea duvet cover for about a tenner. Or, they do some soft blanket sized “throws” for £3 in the market place. They are easy to spot as they are the rolled up ones of various colours nearly always in a big “bin” in the bedding area. I have three, one of which goes over the back of the folded down seats.

I’d get the portable jet wash and do the same would be my opinion.

Or put e bike on the roof.

daver27
    Free Member
    stephenmacdonald43
    Free Member

if you’ve got it for a while get a roof rack?

Andy-R

tom200 – Member
    Swap the company car for a car allowance, spank the money on a sick new bike, and spend the change on a rubbish car you don’t mind soiling.

This is by far the most sensible suggestion – even better, get a van.

gonzy
    Free Member

shower curtain for me on the boot floor then the bike goes in upside down. the roof lining is quite high up so the bike doesnt touch it and i use foam pipe lagging to cover the fork axle so it doesnt whack the rear windscreen

mindmap3
    Free Member

It’s a company car – who cares?

My company car is pretty small and isn’t too nailed after three years of bike transport.

Just chuck a sheet in, bike on the top and off you go.

edhornby

builders bag !!!

wash bike with handpump sprayer and brush to get the worst off – use the brush to wipe off the drips as well and razz up and down the tarmac for 50 yards each way to dry off, then wheels off and into the builders bag

job done

hooli

I use a boot liner and shower curtain, boot liner covers the main boot and the shower curtain on top of that and covers the folded down back seats.

If you do it carefully, you can put the back wheel on the curtain and let it slide into the car taking the shower curtain with it.

I am often surprised how clean the back of my car is considering what my bike looks like after some rides!

ti_pin_man
    Free Member
    P20

I used a Safebag for years in the back of the Octavia estate. Brilliant bit of kit.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Transporting muddy bike in a decent car – help with an idea?’ is closed to new replies.