Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Transporter T4 2.4 non turbo
  • LoCo
    Free Member

Hi just going to look at mates van that’s for sale what are thoughs on this sepc. model I know it’ll be slow btw!

alfabus
    Free Member

not as slow as you might think. the diesels with no turbo are very different to drive than ones with turbo, but they are tuned to cope with no boost. It is not like driving a TD with a broken turbo.

That said, it will still be pretty gutless compared to the 2.5 TDI version (especially the 102bhp one – silver ‘i’ on the back).

Dave

LoCo
    Free Member

Well relativly slow, in comparison to the 2.5 130’s and 174’s i’ve driven 😀
    Just a cheap fill in van for the races while I source a big van for the camper/workshop conversion.

2.4 should be pretty bullet proof no?

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I looked at a couple of 2.4Ds before buying my 1.9TD Westy. They’ve got a fair amount of low end grunt but do feel a bit ponderous through the gears. As pointed out above, they’re not as slow as you think and are a pretty comfortable cruise on the motorway.

The 1.9TD needs to be worked a bit harder but feels a but nippier through the gears (you need to tackle hills in a singlespeed style though 🙂 I personally preferred how the 1.9TD drove, but it’s all down to personal taste. I think both have pretty good reliability records.

Servicing is slightly more expensive on a 2.4 I think because it’s a 5 cylinder engine.

As stated above, both are pretty gutless compared to a TDI, but you pay more for them. For what you describe, I’m sure it will be fine provided it has a sound service history.

Have a look at the T4 forum – there are a few threads on there about the 2.4.

LoCo
    Free Member

Random thought now, does anybody know of vegtable oil conversion being done on one of these engines?

78 BHP definatly not going to be a rocket ship is it 😉

stratobiker
    Free Member

They’re not that slow, but they do feel a little undergeared so 70 on the motorway seems like you’re reving quite high.

Not that economical either.

Oil filter changes are pain because the filter is halfway up the back of the engine. You can only get to it from underneath.

On the plus side they are nice to drive, reliable, and even loaded to the gunnels they’re OK.

I’ve had mine about 6 years now. It’s a great workhorse.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Random thought now, does anybody know of vegtable oil conversion being done on one of these engines?

Yes – again, check out the T4 forum. May need to swap out the fuel pump (apparently veggie oil eats the seals on some types, but loads of folk seem to be running their T4s on veg oil.

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk

stevemorg2

Si,

had one before my T5 camper – loved it but it could be a bit of fun going up steeper hills in Mid Wales – would always get there but not without a queue of traffic behind!

OK on motorways and everyday use though and they’ll go on for ever

LoCo
    Free Member

need to get a login for the T4 forum, did a quick search for basics on it.

Know the owner and history so think I’ll get tonight 😀

Thanks for the help 😀

mieszko
    Free Member

We used to have a LWB 2.4D. It did not seem that slow when we got it as it was 3 years old at the time. Had some pimpy alloys and tinted windows, import from Canada. However this van was used in my parents business and after around 200-250k km it then began to be sloooooow. I don’t think it ever had a big repair and fairly comfortable van. But when it had closer to 300k km on the clock we borrowed it with a mate to get his quad to a race. 2 of us and a quad bike on the back. Reaching 60mph took ages, hills took a while. A similar age LT35 2.5td with 115bhp would leave it in dust and a more modern LT35 2.5 TDI felt like a rocket ship.

However it was like any other T4 for size but much slower, also ours was very basic spec, only had power steering and arm rests from “luxuries”.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Oil filter changes are pain because the filter is halfway up the back of the engine. You can only get to it from underneath.

Oh lordy, the traumatic memories of failing to get my oil filter off last summer! 😡 Stoopid garage that the last owner used to service it had done the filter up well tight, and clearance for ratchets (filter has a crappy hexagon spot welded into the top to fit a socket on) is virtually non existent. Oh and you may have to take the enormous sump guard off first too. We nearly didn’t make it to the Big Bike Bash last year until the world’s nicest mobile mechanic lay in the pool of oil on my drive and rescued me. (evidently I am quite a lot better at bicycles than motor vehicles.)

Of course you know they go on forever if looked after. A mate used to work at a VW van dealers, they had a regular customer who had somthing absurd like 450k on his T4.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

However this van was used in my parents business and after around 200-250k km it then began to be sloooooow.

Sounds like a daft question but did you check the throttle cable? They stretch really badly on T4s and the impact on performance is massive. Mine went a couple of years back while my wife was away on holiday in the van with her mum – they apparently had a mile long tail back behind them driving across Dartmoor! Cost £50 to replace the cable, and all was fine again.

LoCo
    Free Member

Got the T4, boned with it on weekends trip to Moelfre BDHS round 2.
    Love it, might be a touch slow but doesn’t really get much slower with all the kit it.

bone_idle
    Free Member

These old vw’s love a bit of veg oil I ran my 1.9d on fresh oil for a good 40000 miles with no problems, You dont need any conversion kit just run 30% derv in the winter when its mild 100% dont know about waste oil never tried it.

LoCo
    Free Member

Cheers, looking into this at the moment was going to done separate tank system with a heater.
    Was going to put soem in for my trip to North Wales at the weekend, glad I didn’t got stopped and the tank dipped by the police near Pen y fan on the way up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Transporter T4 2.4 non turbo’ is closed to new replies.