Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Transition Bandit
  • lostboysaint
    Free Member

Finished the build 🙂 Ridden it 🙂 Not cleaned it yet 🙁 Looking forward to the Quantocks on Friday 🙂

Transition Bandit XL frame (130mm travel – Fox RP23 shock, tapered head tube)

Rockshox Revelation U-turn Coil forks (85-130mm, uber-plush)

Mavic EN521 rims on Hope Pro 2 hubs

FSA K-Force carbon crankset, 39/27 rings, Gamut bash ring

11-34 SRAM PG980 cassette

Weeksy’s old RaceFace seat pin (KS dropper on it’s way frame has dropper remote guides)

Syncros Gain carbon bars

Hope M4 brakes (Tech levers, 203mm front, 180mm rear rotors, braided hoses)

XT front and rear mechs and shifters

Lizard Skins lock-on grips.

Hope headset

Charge Spoon saddle

Bontrager Mud-X tyres for the winter (Panaracer Rampage SC for the other 3 seasons)

Now with Crank Brothers Mallet 2 pedals

Oh, and crudcatcher race pack! (I HATE mudguards!)

t-p26
    Free Member

There`s something on the seatpost……below the “light”

derekrides
    Free Member

Extra anode for his grindr app, makes it more sensitive in the forest.

balfa
    Free Member

Mini review please. Is it as playful as they claim?

Also what height are you and how do you find the fit? I’ve been looking at getting one can’t even get a sit on an XL far less a demo. I’m worried the top tube isn’t quite long enough.

ashfanman
    Free Member

I’m 6’5 and find the XL fits me perfectly. Where in the UK are you? If you’re in London you’re welcome to swing a leg over mine.

Not sure I’d describe the bike as ‘playful’, though. It’s relatively light and short travel at the back (for today’s trail bikes, at least), which does give it a sprightly feel. But I was actually surprised at just how composed it is. The suspension action is very neutral and has handled some pretty techy Alpine descents with no fuss. I run mine with a 150mm fork and find it gives a really balanced riding position.

Perhaps the thing I like most about the Bandit is how versatile it is. I’m sure there are bikes that would be more responsive on flatter terrain or more capable downhill, but it seems to perform really well in any situation I put it in. That undoubtedly involves a slight compromise in most situations (while recognising that the bike is still far more capable than my skills are able to exploit), but as an all-rounder I couldn’t be happier with it.

scruff
    Free Member

Ok, if you have a bike and want to post pics PLEASE dont subject us to seeing it with those horrible plastic flappy things attached.

balfa
    Free Member

I’m 6’5 and find the XL fits me perfectly. Where in the UK are you? If you’re in London you’re welcome to swing a leg over mine.

Thats reassuring to know that it still fits you at 6’5. I’m only 6’3 but I’m used to a longish TT. Thanks for the offer but unfortunately I’m up in Scotland. It seems being tall its near to impossible to even sit on a bike of the right size far less demo one before buying. At least it seems that way up here!

peachos
    Free Member

Not sure I’d describe the bike as ‘playful’, though. It’s relatively light and short travel at the back (for today’s trail bikes, at least), which does give it a sprightly feel. But I was actually surprised at just how composed it is. The suspension action is very neutral and has handled some pretty techy Alpine descents with no fuss. I run mine with a 150mm fork and find it gives a really balanced riding position.

Perhaps the thing I like most about the Bandit is how versatile it is. I’m sure there are bikes that would be more responsive on flatter terrain or more capable downhill, but it seems to perform really well in any situation I put it in. That undoubtedly involves a slight compromise in most situations (while recognising that the bike is still far more capable than my skills are able to exploit), but as an all-rounder I couldn’t be happier with it.

did you eat a few copies of MBR with a side of MBUK finished with ST for your tea last night?? what a load of tosh!

ashfanman
    Free Member

did you eat a few copies of MBR with a side of MBUK finished with ST for your tea last night?? what a load of tosh!

And what part of that is tosh, exactly?

cheese@4p

Hideous photos

lostboysaint
    Free Member

I’m 6’4 with a long reach. The XL is a good fit for me.

Ash sums the ride up pretty well. Without eulogising quite the same I’d say it’s a very good suspension design as I’ve found no need to resort to pro-pedal on climbs and find it very comfortable on descents.

I’m honest enough with myself to say that a majority of my riding is XC/trail and I don’t need 150mm of travel but I want enough for the technical and bigger stuff when I go out to Rogate or into Blackwoods etc. Tried a few bikes and was keen to stick with Yeti (brand loyalty and all that, I have an ASR) but this ticked more boxes as an all-rounder.

As I said, I hate mudguards as well but thought you might see past them 😉

peachos
    Free Member

And what part of that is tosh, exactly?

[*] a sprightly feel
    [*] how composed it is
    [*] suspension action is very neutral
    [*] techy Alpine descents
    [*] I run mine
    [*] balanced riding position.
    [*] is how versatile it is
    [*] more responsive on flatter terrain
    [*] more capable downhill
    [*] slight compromise in most situations

..but maybe i’m just being picky… 😕

ashfanman
    Free Member

..but maybe i’m just being picky a tool…

Yeah, prolly.

nimo
    Free Member

I have got a medium bandit ( i’m 5’8″ ) and it rocks..
    The really special thing about it is the steep seatangle puts you in the attack position all the time whilst the bike looks after the consequences….

rudedog
    Free Member

I have got a medium bandit ( i’m 5’8″ ) and it rocks..
    The really special thing about it is the steep seatangle puts you in the attack position all the time whilst the bike looks after the consequences….

A seated attack position?

winterfold
    Free Member

derekrides – Member

Extra anode for his grindr app, makes it more sensitive in the forest.

So, that’s what it is.

I love Interwebs as so many expert share their knowledge and experiences…

lostboy – if you hadnt put the cleaning excuse in and played it straight this had great trolling potential.

lostboysaint
    Free Member

a sprightly feel
    how composed it is
    suspension action is very neutral
    techy Alpine descents
    I run mine
    balanced riding position.
    is how versatile it is
    more responsive on flatter terrain
    more capable downhill
    [*] slight compromise in most situations

..but maybe i’m just being picky…

Until you’ve ridden one you don’t know whether that’s tosh or just a slight case of bike-love excess. 😉 Those of us that have know that it’s just the latter!

repatriot
    Free Member

Looks to similar to a Stump Jumper for me and next it will probably be a true 4 bar as well with the patent running out!

Euro
    Free Member

Mucky bike means mucky arse and bake. Them’s the rules!

Nice bike all the same.

spanishfly
    Free Member

It never fails to disappoint me when I see an attractive bike (and in my opinion Transition make very attractive frames) ruined by those plastic mudguards.

I can see the logic but it doesnt make it right.

Rickos
    Free Member

Maybe peachos is just too cool for school. The wee write up seemed fine to me.

BermBandit
    Free Member

There are two things that say “spanner” very loudly IMHO.

1) A rear mudguard of any description
    2) Hi viz jackets off road

I couldn’t even go as far as to say why, they just do.

devs
    Free Member

I’m with peachos. None of those phrases really describe it, it’s more like buzz word bingo. Beware the marketers filling your head with meaningless nonsense. Looks a sweet pimpin steed tho. Braaaap! 🙂

derekrides
    Free Member

I think plastic rear crud guards look kewell and I get to ride everyday in my work clothes.

I’d like to see a more ‘fishtail’ version with a rear light built into the tail.

I do hope those folk who think they don’t look kewell don’t wear lycra, or ride spd’s or single speed and are not writing whilst on strike today..

lostboysaint
    Free Member

I’m so pleased I didn’t wait for this review!

All that time I would have wasted!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Transition Bandit’ is closed to new replies.