Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 245 total)
  • Trance, with a few mods to show what can be done.
  • nairnster
    Free Member

No pedals either.

tomhoward

No pedals either

Yup, they add pounds to a bike, I’ve heard somewhere.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Sorry forgot to add it’s also got carbon bars..
    So add some pedals 380grams..and £5999 later you’ve been ripped off.
    Clearly carbon adds weight to a bike 😀

nickc

If you’re pushing 95kgs whether your bike weighs 13kgs or more like 14.5kgs will make stuff all difference.

Nice bike though

nairnster
    Free Member

Yup, they add pounds to a bike, I’ve heard somewhere.

Best part of a lb though, which puts that closer to 28lbs.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Also worth bearing in mind is it’s a trail bike I’ve effectively made slacker and more burly…if this was a Reign I was claiming 26lbs for then yes I’d expect to be laughed off the forum!

The thread was a handy helper for Trance owners who maybe think they need something ‘more’ (Reign) when in fact you can fit long forks, slacken out the HA and change the rear travel to almost 160mm with a few subtle cheap mods….hey presto you’ve just built the long travel trail bike you wanted, it still pedals well and descends like a demon to boot. Win/win.

Except if you ride it like a 160mm, 65 degree head angled bike should be – the frame will last all of one season of racing – perhaps not even that.

I could get my alu Reign down to about 27lb – but that would defeat the point of the bike, carbon saddle, carbon bars, carbon cranks, carbon rims (or Crests), CX-Rays, DT Swiss 240 hubs, crappy non piggyback shock, XTR race brakes, 300 g pedals – I think I worked out I could do a total of 4.5lbs of weight shaving if I really really wanted to. But then it would be a noodly POS with a spikey rear shock.

tomhoward

Best part of a lb though, which puts that closer to 28lbs.

Op was saying he could shave pounds off by changing Nano’s for plastic ones….

nairnster
    Free Member

I know, that’s why I mentioned it having no pedals.

Seems bizarre the OPs scales make the bike weigh so little, but pedals weigh so much.

Having just gone from El Plastique to Nano X pedals, the difference is 100g.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Suggest you get your scales checked… Nanos add 3lb over el plastico 😀
    I know on paper nanos weigh 440g, it’s just a weird thing that happens when you attach them to a bike.

wrecker
    Free Member

“No carbon wheels for me, for security sake, they need to last all weekend. I’ve got carbon wheels on my road bike because Colin doesn’t know. He’d take them from me if he found out.”

😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yes it did make me chuckle especially after hearing someone who gets them for free running out of sets racing down here.

deviant
    Free Member

If it was a plastic bike I’d be skeptical too….but it’s metal with massive welds, it’ll be doing sterling service long after I’ve moved onto other bikes.

I’ll do an offer, I’m at the Cwmcarrn Enduro in March, if anyone wants to cast an eye over the bike and even use their own scales I’m open to that?

Shouldn’t be too difficult to spot me, there can’t be that many X-fusion suspended Trances around.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I’ve seen a lot more cracked or outright bent alu mainframes than I have seen carbon.

I’ve seen someone bend an aluminium Giant Glory so much that it probably had a 45 degree head angle. 😀

deviant
    Free Member

No takers?…..full of hot air and piss this forum.

😆

nairnster
    Free Member

Not full of helium like your bike then.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m sure the shop will weigh it for you…
    I’ve just done the bathroom scales job on the Nomad I’ve just built

Float 36
    Reverb
    Flow EX Wheels on Hope
    Hope Floating Rotors and M4 Up front XT on the back, Alu bars
    GX 1×11 and Standard (not even Ti SDG) and Mallet DH pedals

It’s 23lb!!
    Only joking it’s 33lb
    So you got to 28lb
    Thats the Dropper, Wheels, Carbon Bar pedals anything else I missed?

deviant
    Free Member

I reckon that covers it, I intentionally went with 34mm stanchion trail forks instead of Fox-36s, I’ve negated a dropper on all but by most XC type rides, alloy bars?….no thanks. Floating rotors and Hope four piston brakes are always going to outweigh a set of XTs….your point being you’ve built a heavy bike, well done you.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I know but if I could borrow your luggage scales it would be 22lb 😉

.your point being you’ve built a heavy bike, well done you.

The point being I could get that down to your 28lb by your maths there 1lb for the dropper, 1/2lb for the saddle, 1lb on the wheels, 1/2 on the pedals then brakes and finishing another lb? 🙂
    Point might be nobody can quite work out why you have gone ultra light for gravity with little pedalling.

Anyway I’m off to take it away for a weekend of smashing steep fun runs off a shuttle, might lighten is a bit for EWS but not much.

tpbiker
    Free Member

For balance I have th same frame running carbon wheels,revs and xt 1×11′ its set up tubeless with nobby nic evos. It does have a dropper though and no carbon bars.

Weighs a tad over 28lbs with pedals. Cant see how yours is 2lb lighter to be honest.

Nice build though..whats the ha like with a 160 fork?

Tracey

Yellow bikes are always heavier. All the ones we’ve had always felt that way. The 2017 Enduro in the garage feels heavier than the 2016 that’s at the side of it so it must be the colour. Everyone knows that black ones are the lightest

Good luck with the EWS 😀

deviant
    Free Member

HA is 66 degrees with a 160mm fork.

Can we put the 26lb thing to bed now, I cocked up….when I did my combined weight with bike on scales and then subtracted my bodyweight I got 28lb which is more realistic.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Floating rotors and Hope four piston brakes are always going to outweigh a set of XTs

Tech 3 E4’s that my old man had were actually lighter than SLX’s! There isn’t much between Xts and SLX brakes.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

This is a 2012 Tech M4, it makes the XT seem weightless but it works a treat still for a lot more front end control.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Does it have braided hoses? Get rid of those and you’ll save yourself circa 40-50g each end.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ah yes must do that, I’ll be closing in on 21lb next 🙂

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

😛

I say it, because I’ve always had a thing for Hope V series brakes – I’ve been eyeing a set of V4s and worked out that they really aren’t that bad of a weight without the braided hose. I’m actually a bit confused as to why Hope insist on selling what could be an even more popular downhill brake and a competitive enduro brake, if they just got rid of the bloody braided hose.

deviant
    Free Member

Again, I’m at the Cwmcarrn Enduro next month, BPW on the 9th and FoD on the 1st March…..forum members are welcome to cast their eye over it and weigh it themselves.
    Can’t say fairer than that.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Only if I can cast my eye over some hookers and snort some blow, whilst we’re doing some errrr weighing.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Again, I’m at the Cwmcarrn Enduro next month, BPW on the 9th and FoD on the 1st March…..forum members are welcome to cast their eye over it and weigh it themselves.
    Can’t say fairer than that.

Also, is this like the STW equivalent of “Come at me, brah”?

deviant
    Free Member

Haha, sadly those days are behind me!

jonnyboi

Can we put the 28lb thing to bed now, I cocked up….when I did my combined weight with bike on scales and then subtracted my bodyweight, then actually got some proper scales I got 30lb which is more realistic.

FTFY

bigrich

1) santa cruz ain’t a boutique bike brand, haven’t been one for years, they’re just expensive

2) why wouldn’t a giant frame weigh less? they are better at manufacturing, materials and have more money for RnD.

deviant
    Free Member

2) why wouldn’t a giant frame weigh less? they are better at manufacturing, materials and have more money for RnD.

Bingo.

Goldigger
    Free Member

I weighed all my bikes while I was at it and now I don’t feel so bad..
    Orange 5 31.4lb
    Canyon dude 31lb
    Anthem 26.8lb OK this should be lighter as it has 26″ wheels. So thats less rubber and less rim and shorter fork legs.. 😉

But then I reckon my scales are wrong as canyon quote 29.26lb

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Yup. Giant have always struck me as the Repsol Honda of the MTB world, my aluminium reign seems as burly as any other bike it is category. Yet the damn thing weighs no more than many carbon frames.

jonnyboi

Canyon probably quote that for a small without pedals

Goldigger
    Free Member

Nope that’s for a medium…
    Without pedals and included reflectors.

Anyhow let’s all play this..
    And submit out scores..
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/quiz-can-you-correctly-guess-the-weight-of-these-bikes-45864/

Deviant make your initial guess and add 2lbs 😀

flashinthepan
    Free Member

deviant – Member

My other hobby is weightlifting

Oh, the irony!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and in reality for me these are the only scales that matter

Pedals and rotors in the main bag this trip…

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 245 total)

The topic ‘Trance, with a few mods to show what can be done.’ is closed to new replies.