Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 245 total)
  • Trance, with a few mods to show what can be done.
  • scc999

Maybe not – but I don’t see the “nose out of joint thing” from others.
    What I do see is people basically not believing you (maybe because you initially claimed the bike was 26lbs?) and then being sceptical about other things you posted.
    Saying switching to plastic pedals (which I run and am well happy with BTW) would “save lbs” didn’t really help your credibility any.

But hey, this is coming from someone who figures that at 68 kilos in weight, shaving grams of my bike probably wont have that much impact so I don’t actually know how much it weighs!
    What I *do* know is that I love riding it, it’s far more capable than me and that I suspect that setting the suspension up properly would probably have a bigger impact that blingier parts!

Enjoy the bike.

Si

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Well my thoughts exactly….but then as someone earlier in the thread said; people are buying boutique frames but then ruining them by building them up with Lyriks, 30-35mm wide rims, heavy droppers, heavy 11 speed (or even 12 speed now) drivetrains, blingy but massive and heavy Hope quad piston brakes with braided hoses etc….and then quoting weights of 32lb.

It seems to have put a few noses out of joint that my mass produced Giant with its ‘cheap’ X-fusion suspension, a few carbon adornments and a sensible wheelset has come in at 28lb.

You are talking drivel basically. Assumption of spec’s (take your comments about ‘massive and heavy hope quad piston brakes’ for example) which are no heavier than XT/XTR/Guides.

A very unbelievable 26lbs becomes a somewhat dubious 28lbs for a run of the mill bike.

It’s like some kind of strange inverse snobbery, then despite being corrected, the need to ‘call people out’ to come & view your bike. Odd.

Clearly your riding does the talking, maybe a R&R link would appease people…

FWIW, i’ve ridden a long shocked Trance with a 160mm fork & an angleset – still felt like a slightly out of date trail bike, just with more travel. Still, you obviously love it, so crack on 🙂

deviant
    Free Member

A very unbelievable 26lbs becomes a somewhat dubious 28lbs for a run of the mill bike.

Run of the mill?….because it’s a Giant?

Their expertise with light alloys is probably the best in the business as much as people hate to admit that.
    I already addressed the 26lb thing, luggage scales were out by 2lbs…..i then used scales with me holding the bike and then subtracting my weight difference for a more accurate weight, 28lb.

scc999, the comment on switching to plastic pedals to save pounds was a figure of speech….we’re all adults, surely people don’t need this spelled out!?

deviant
    Free Member

Oh, and the fact we’re at 5 pages now demonstrates to me a wailing and gnashing of teeth that is satisfying to witness!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ah a proper try job 😉 at least you came back and joined in…
    In other news my bike got heavier, I had to put a tube in. I felt dirty about that.

tomhoward

Which 12 speed group sets are heavier than a 1×10 deore/SLX combo set up?

iainc

this thread inspired me to weigh my new Anthem 1 last night, totally standard apart from ISM saddle, so XT 1×11, Giant Dropper, carbon rims, tubeless Nobby Nics. it is 27 lbs on my bathroom digital scales….

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Pretty typical STW willy waving drivel thread we’ve come to know and love.

iainc

^^^ I guess my point was that an Anthem should weigh a chunk less than a Trance…..

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Run of the mill?….because it’s a Giant?

Their expertise with light alloys is probably the best in the business as much as people hate to admit that.

Who’s hated to admit it? Doesn’t seem to be anyone suggesting their alloy frames arn’t good & very light for what they are? Giant arn’t the largest bike manufacturer in the world for no reason. They also happen to make very good carbon frames too.

It just seems to be you pushing a point repeatedly.

chakaping
    Free Member

i then used scales with me holding the bike and then subtracting my weight difference for a more accurate weight, 28lb.

This method is even less accurate IME.

Just sayin’.

Rorschach
    Free Member

tomhoward

…Shirley

paulneenan76
    Free Member

How do you get an Anthem on your bathroom scales?
    You just get an Anthem on your bathroom scales!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

XT 1×11,

I guess my point was that an Anthem should weigh a chunk less than a Trance…..

Yeah but you fitted the boat anchor group to it 😉

Who’s hated to admit it? Doesn’t seem to be anyone suggesting their alloy frames arn’t good & very light for what they are?

TBH if I wanted to buy a 140mm frame then bodge it to be a 160mm frame and not be bothered by mm clearances and warranty it’s not a bad option.
    I prefer the quote from Graves, he gave up weighing bikes, he builds stuff that works and does what he needs it to. If it works who cares what it weighs. To prove the point he raced (minimum of a podium think he might have won) the national DH round at Thredbo on his Spec Enduro with Alu wheels last year Curtis Keene ran out of carbon wheels so didn’t race.

edit…

paulneenan76 – Member
    How do you get an Anthem on your bathroom scales?
    You just get an Anthem on your bathroom scales!

A packet of soft white rolls to Paul

nairnster
    Free Member

Run of the mill because it’s run of the mill.

Nothing outstanding on it at all, and i think thats part of the reason you were called out so quickly on the weight claims.

russyh
    Free Member

I love this thread.

28lbs seems a pretty standard weight for that type of bike without a dropper, which would likely add another lb or lb and a half to the weight.

I spent a fortune pissing in the wind trying to make my new Orange five lighter. Its 28lbs (and bit) with a Dropper. But that’s Carbon bars, 1550g wheelset, carbon cranks etc, 1×11, ti railed saddle. Its fitted with some proper tyres and 36’s. Its cost me allot of money to get it where I want it, in hindsight a bit of a waste

deviant
    Free Member

Run of the mill because it’s run of the mill.

And that my friend is the point, just what can be done with a run of the mill mass produced Taiwanese frame.
    The indignancy on here kind of bears that out.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Was that real or just you being called out for forgetting 2lb and trying to build a super light bike for going with gravity and not putting a dropper on it 😉

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

And that my friend is the point, just what can be done with a run of the mill mass produced Taiwanese frame.

What, a mediocre build, at a mediocre weight?

Aspirational stuff.

chiefgrooveguru

Often a person’s behaviour in a situation is more a reflection of themselves than the situation they’re in. For some reason you’re both obsessed with bike weight and also defensive about having a common frame which isn’t as long travel as you’d like. I’ll leave it to you to work out why that is.

In my case, I choose a bike that has the geometry and suspension behaviour I want, allied to the frame stiffness and parts compatibility. It weighs what it weighs – it isn’t the lightest frame because it has swappable dropouts and adjustable geometry plus it’s stiff for a 140mm bike, all of which adds mass.

The parts on it are chosen for performance and durability. Nothing is very light, nothing is very heavy. They weigh what they weigh.

The end result has been a 31lbs bike which I’ve had a huge amount of fun on for three years so far and which I’ve been able to adapt as my whims take me (it’s now 10mm less front travel, 7mm lower BB, 1.5 deg slacker and 10mm shorter of chainstay than when I first built it up).

I have a matching hardtail which is 4lbs lighter. It’s equally awesome though I’ve only had it a year and only really got the setup perfect recently.

Weight is so much less important with amateur MTBing, especially anything gravity assisted, than everyone thinks. And so boring to argue about.

If we could measure power easily, or pedalling efficiency, or rolling efficiency, then we might talk about something more worthwhile. But sadly the scales of dullness dominate…

deviant
    Free Member

dropper is in the house, I don’t use it much…your point caller?

What, a mediocre build, at a mediocre weight?

Yep, this forum is littered with 4k+ bikes that the forum collectively fawn over….i wanted to show what can be done with around 2k (probably less) and still have the travel, the light weight etc of many more expensive bikes but for more realistic money, I think that’s what upset people.

Would we be having this conversation if the bike was a Yeti, Cotic, Intense, Santa Cruz etc or any of the other forum favourites!?…..or would it be comments like ‘cool bike’….’well done for getting under 30lbs’ etc

None so fickle or snob like as the STW crowd.

deviant
    Free Member

I’ll leave it to you to work out why that is.

I’ll save you the trouble, test rode the Reign, didn’t like it….went for the Trance frameset instead.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep, this forum is littered with 4k+ bikes that the forum collectively fawn over….i wanted to show what can be done with around 2k (probably less) and still have the travel, the light weight etc of many more expensive bikes but for more realistic money, I think that’s what upset people.

Not everyone has a weight obsession, personally scrapping the warranty on a frame and taking it to clearance limits isn’t my bag. Were you trying to upset people? Maybe upset was just not as impressed as you had hoped. Having just gone from a 28lb SC to a 33lb SC they both ride great I know which will be better for plummeting down steep stuff too.

How does the bike ride? you faster on it for all the mods? Feel more in control? More confidence? How much more are you enjoying the rides?

deviant
    Free Member

How does the bike ride? you faster on it for all the mods? Feel more in control? More confidence? How much more are you enjoying the rides?

It’s a far better bike than when I initially built it up with stock 140mm rear end and 150mm forks.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and for the weight weenie diet?

wonnyj
    Free Member

Nice enough build, nice enough weight. I’d add a dropper and ride it.

Funny how it’s become cool to not worry about weight now that everyone has gone enduro.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

I guesstimate your bike to weigh 42lbs.

Let me know when I win the pot of sweets.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Funny how it’s become cool to not worry about weight now that everyone has gone enduro.

If your building a bike to work with gravity there are bigger things to worry about.
    I had a simple sheet with every component listed, the price and the weight. Simple question when changing what was I gaining by spending more? Longevity, significant weight or nothing?
    My XC bike can with a sub deore cassette, what I expanded it I got rid of it as it was stupidly heavy compared to a sensibly priced 10sp Xt/X9 ones.

deviant
    Free Member

and for the weight weenie diet?

What about it?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

how did it ride differently after that? Whats your verdict about how that has improved the quality of the ride/speed/enjoyment?

jonnyboi

The thread was a handy helper for Trance owners

I think the problem is that OP was expecting this thread to be a bit of adulation at his awesome lightweight build. Problem is that apart from the rear travel mod (which we don’t seem to be getting any detailed answers on how that rides) it’s a ‘meh’ build that has been done way better countless number of times.

theocb
    Free Member

Trance, with a few mods to show what can be done.

I agree it does show how an inexperienced bike builder can ruin a perfectly good bike 😀

Just kidding wit ya, nothing better than building a custom bike that works for you. Enjoy.

dyls

Nice bike.

The blue trance advanced on page 3 looks really nice as well!!

Paul-B

So how does the final geometry stack up against a Reign?

Asking for a friend…

deviant
    Free Member

how did it ride differently after that? Whats your verdict about how that has improved the quality of the ride/speed/enjoyment?

Bike rides smoother and with less pedal effort than my previous FS (Saracen Ariel)….it’s good but then the Maestro system is renowned for pedaling well.

Jonnboi, nope the bike was an exercise in budget but quality bike building, to that end I’ve succeeded. You may disagree.
    I don’t know what you want to know re. how the back end now rides!?…it’s better than my single pivot Ariel, it still pedals efficiently but there’s just ‘more’ in reserve out back.
    Giant sold this bike in dealerships as the SX model with 160mm fork, the 200×57 extended travel rear seems to be a logical extension of that….no doubt it voids the warranty but with framesets like the Codeine going for bugger all money at the moment I’ll take the risk and replace if necessary.

So how does the final geometry stack up against a Reign?

Asking for a friend…

HA is slightly steeper, I believe a Reign is 65 degrees, Giant list the 160mm forked Trance as 66 degrees.
    Trance is shorter, maybe not as low but for out and out uplift duties I have a 26 inch rear that can go on and drops the BB, takes the HA out a smidge more etc….combined with a a 1 degree Angleset I’ll consider this bike complete and it’ll be my everyday workhorse for the natural Welsh mountains around here.

Goldigger
    Free Member

If you removed that ironing board and put a proper saddle on it I might say I like your bike…that just makes me wince looking at it!

Anyway can I borrow your scales please? I only think it’s fair we use the same scales to weigh and quote our bike weights..

What’s wrong with 4 pot brakes?
    I have saints on my 5 as I wanted extra stopping power as I’m 100kg kitted up.
    XT just didn’t stop me as quick as I wanted.. So I’ve added 60 grams.

tomaso
    Free Member

In terms of comparison to a Reign…
    With the slightly bigger fork I’d guess that the head angle is still not as slack but the seat angle is slacker.
    The Trance has shorter reach and longer chain stays than the Reign.
    The Trance is quite a bit shorter in wheelbase.

nickc

OP is 95kgs he thinks his bike is about 13kg, some others think it’s more like 14.5kgs, that a massive kilo and half difference, or about 4% in total (rider and bike combined, if my mental maths is about right)

s’not worth worrying about. (still a nice looking bike though)

Toasty

These threads always leave me feeling like I’ve just had an argument with someone, and I’ve not even posted in it.

Everyone seems to have generous scales which under-weight things, except for mine, I got some of those Feedback Sports Alpine scales, all my bikes are 32lbs. Rubbish.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 245 total)

The topic ‘Trance, with a few mods to show what can be done.’ is closed to new replies.