Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Training Question, definition of spinning please…
  • Grimy
    Free Member

So I was just reading something about getting the most from my quick 60minute rides I try and squeeze in during the week and found this: –

Session: 10 minutes warm up at 65% of your maximum heart-rate (HR Max). Eight minutes at 70% HR Max, two minutes spin. Seven minutes at 75% HR Max, two minutes easy spin. Six minutes at 80% HR Max, two minutes spin. Five minutes at 85% HR Max, two minutes spin. Three minutes at 90% HR Max, 10 minutes warm down at 65% HR Max.

Can anybody confirm what exactly in means when it says x minutes spin?

I thought spinning was fairly fast candescence at low effort…is this right? sorry for the basic nature of this question 😳

Whislt on the subject, what do you think of the above program? any other surgestions.

jacko54321
    Free Member

spinning is high intensity cycling to a beat, on a fixed wheel with variable resistance, you move to different positions on the bike with different resistance stregths to simulate different cycling types, ie hill climb or sprints,

most sport centers or health club will give you a free trial, go try it

and take a towel !!!

molgrips
    Free Member

jacko, that's Spinning ™ classes. He is asking about the wording of his training programme.

Spin means slightly fast pedalling in a low gear, with low resitance. So spinning the pedals easily to get the blood going but not actually using much energy – by way of recoveyr.

0091paddy
    Free Member

Smash it for 6hours.

jacko54321
    Free Member

oah! still the classes are good lol

Grimy
    Free Member

Thanks chaps! Most helpfull molgrips, Thank you!

jimmyshand
    Free Member

^ = Facepalm.

poppa
    Free Member

Standing upright, with the arms out to the sides, rotate about your vertical axis as fast as you can. Lance swears by it. 😉

geetee1972
    Free Member

Learning to 'spin' was something that we were always told as youngsters was terribly important to learn. The opposite of spinning would be lumbering a large gear at low RPM but on tender young legs, that apparently wasn't good for your knees, so in road racing at least, juvenile and junior cats were always restricted on the size of gear they could use.

IIRC, one of the reasons behind Armstrong's success was that he developed a much higher pedal cadence than other pro riders, the net result was that he developed less lactic acid and therefore was able to recover better.

ourmaninthenorth

Grimy – on the recoveries, just slack off and turn a light gear. Then get back on it.

Sounds like a nice little time crunched intervals session. Might incorporate some of that in my rides to and from work (60 mins each way).

scaredypants

I'm with jacko – I'd say spinning is like turbo training but instead of looking at a developing pool of sweat and eying the tools in the garage as potential suicide weapons, you get to look at ladies' bums bobbing up & down

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Training Question, definition of spinning please…’ is closed to new replies.