Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Training & Commuting, rest days (or ride easy days) any thoughts or advice?
    Free Member

Hi All,

I’m commuting approx 10 miles a day during the week, and on a Sunday, I’m out riding approx 45-ish miles with a small increase every other week (so 50 this weekend, and then in a few weeks, 55/60 etc).

I’m averaging approx 17mph which isn’t too bad I think (although one of the roadies here reckons I need to increase that a little)

At the moment, cycling is my only sport but soon to be a gym session each week and hopefully some swimming on a Saturday morning too.

I try to take it fairly steady on Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday morning, Weds evening I take in a few climbs (approx 1000ft) and then have a steady (approx 18-19mph avg over 10miles) ride home.

Thursday steady, Friday evening ride home similar to Wednesday.

I’m keen to increase my cardio and leg strength but at the same time, don’t want to over do it.

Do you think it wise I take a rest day and commute via train one or more days? Should I take it easy at other times? Include recovery drinks? (i usually eat a banana or two, occasionally some Go)

Riding steady, I’m usually working on cadence/smooth pedalling/higher rpm, and on longer rides a mixture of strength (bigger gear climbs) and sprinting.

My legs feel a little tired this week, and my diet is fairly healthy and I wondered whether there was some nutritional nugget i’m potentially missing out on?

I think that is about it, if you have any thoughts or advice, it’d be appreciated.

cheers.
    jt

Free Member

To also add, I’ve got a HRM but haven’t used it since I replaced the battery, but then only used it to stay within certain HR limits I’d set (which the figures escape me at the moment)

Worth pulling it back out of the cupboard?

tinribz
    Free Member

Seems fast enough to me but would suggest interval training once a week and some squats? Use the HRM to make sure you don’t over do it on every other day / recovery days. Or mix up training by just focusing on speed for a couple of months.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Training & Commuting, rest days (or ride easy days) any thoughts or advice?’ is closed to new replies.