Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • trailquests
  • goonie
    Free Member

Anybody had any experience of these? I quite fancy giving it ago would be intrested in any feedback!

ratadog

Did a couple of MTBO events in Dalby at the end of last year. Part of the NYMBO series and really enjoyed it. They were scatter events – visit as many points as possible and get back to the start within the time allowed. People were helpful and friendly to a Newbie and you could potentially get a good score by just being fit and picking a good route – in fact I suspect there are more points to be gained as a beginner by good route choice than by scary fitness – although all STWers are obviously scary fit by definition. In my limited experience, someone always seemed to go so far over the time limit so as to lose a huge chunk of points and promote me to as high as 3rd from last in agegroup. The events I did were 2 hour time limits but most of this years are 3 hour so I'll have to get a bit fitter, ice permitting.

I would say go for it – it gives you the fun of competition without the schoolboy embarrassment of seeing everybody lap you, although be warned, the over 60s are all terrifyingly fast, and the NYMBO events allow pairs so you can be companionably lost rather than feeling lost and abandoned.

judderman
    Free Member

as ratadog said, I managed 2 or 3 last year & they were great fun particulary the ones with kayaking as well. Go 4 it u will enjoy it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trail_rat
    Free Member

do MTBO at drumtochty each year for a laugh – always good fun

Did IROC last year – was fooking horrible – but 18 miles fell running on cyclists legs aint ever good !

Garry_Lager

Alright mate, I do the Glentress trailquest each year – so hardly a TQ veteran, but I would definitely recommend giving them a go. It's a great way of doing something competitive on your bike, without having to be super fit. The strategy aspect of planning your route adds an extra dimension to just riding around as fast as you can.

At the GT event, it seems that you get a lot of guys entering who come from an orienteering background, and don't really know how to ride a MTB. So it's an interesting mix of competitors – there's a few seriously fit MTBers who clean up, but the body of the field aren't your typical MTB crew.

It'd be interesting to hear from more seasoned Trailquesters – I do the GT event because it's local and I know the area well. As a result I probably enjoy it more, I've never done one sight unseen where I had no clue about the trails. It would no doubt place more of a premium on reading the map and really taking stock of the contour lines.

goonie
    Free Member

Cheers guys you have convinced me!! me and a friend are gonna team up so like ratadog said I wont feel lost all on my own!!! lol I have signed up for the midland trailquest at the end of march local to me in Northamptonshire (pattishall) looking forward to a differnt challenge thanks for your views you have been helpful 😆

ratadog

Hope you enjoy it. Let us know how you get on.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘trailquests’ is closed to new replies.