Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • trail running… what sites to inspire/find info?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

just started running again in prep for an april tri, and saw the thread the other day with mention of the cheviot shoes for 25quid. slogging the road is ok, but i’ve got stunning very muddy terrain (moors and cliff paths) within mins so i’m tempted (i run xc in the summer when its dry and love it, but never knew about dedicated trail running shoes like these). can anyone point me at any trail running sites/forums/blogs so i can waste time tomorrow having a look and persuading myself i need to buy?

highclimber
    Free Member

The FRA fourums have some discussions but I don’t post there and any fell running quieries I post on UKClimbing strangely.

highclimber
    Free Member

double post, sorry

piemonster

The FRA Forums as suggested above, although sometimes you’ll get STW’esque helpfulness

anonymouse
    Free Member

The FRA forums are good, but they certainly don’t move as quickly as this one. It’s not unheard of for threads to stay on the front page despite not having been added to for days.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

cheers, will have a look later. found some interesting looking trail events locally last night, hmmm!

joemarshall
    Free Member

Have you read ‘feet in the clouds’ yet? If not, you probably should. Everyone and their dog gets into fell or trail running after reading that.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

nope, good call, just looked at it on amazon. may have to order that up.

ok, a really stupid question i was going to ask earlier but stopped because it may be silly obvious… but do you look at trail event distances in the same way you would look at a raod event or are trail events considered way harder?

reason i ask is that i’ve found an event in august locally that looks fun, and the distance before it gets silly are 11mile then 22. 11 onroad, in aug, i would’nt worry about being able to achieve. 22, on road, i would consider a challenge but do-able. so i want to challenge myself, but i don’t want to kill myself.

davetrave
    Free Member

Any info on the ascent? That’s usually a good guide to how tough it might be. Events organised under FRA rules use a grading system to give entrants an idea, two letters:

A-C for average height gain per km (A being something like average of 50m per km and thus hardest)
    S, M or L for length (S being short, M medium and L long (20 miles plus))

So you would find combinations like AL (f@*king nails!) to CS (piece of p@*s). The FRA website gives more detail…

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i think scratch that last question, its cornwall coast path and if its anything like the bit at the end of my road… nightmare! plus i’ve just run one of my regular long routes and then measured it for the first time. what i thought was over 5miles is in reality just over 3.

11mile route for me then, baby steps!

this is the event if anyone is interested…

https://www.sientries.co.uk/event.php?event_id=911

Gibbysrabbit
    Free Member

I probably find trail events easier to do and would be more comfortable off road, even though it takes longer for the same distances.

Looks like a great event, although could be a slippery slope if you find yourself stepping up a distance every year!

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

yes i had considered that, so another reason why 11miles is a good start.

great though is’nt it, how often do you find a new sport to fixate over that you can buy the kit (i.e. shoes) for under 30quid!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nice thread links there,

Ta

Gibbysrabbit
    Free Member

Some great reading here about longer distances
    Ultra Tales Issue 4 (January 2013)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘trail running… what sites to inspire/find info?’ is closed to new replies.