Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Trail running shoes for the missus…
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi chaps,

My missus is looking for some new trail running shoes, she runs on footpaths, grassy fields, and a tiny bit of road.

She is neutral, and has a narrow foot.

She values comfort over feel, and I have no idea about running shoes!

Can anyone recommend a good shoe that fits her needs?

Cheers

Ricks

skydragon
    Free Member

My other half uses and recommends innov8 Roc trail 246 shoes

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Solomon speed cross. Like slippers only knobblier. Just make sure the road doesn’t yo on too long. They are soft.

rickon
    Free Member

Cheers everyone, she’s now saying that she wants a road running shoe that is capable to run on trails too. So… something with decent cushioning, but enough tread to go off road.

I was looking at the Asics Nimbus range, as they look totally comfortable – and the tread design looks like it’d be lugged enough and siped to handle mud and water….

Bregante

I’m on my second pair of Asics Fuji Attack. I do a mixed 6 mile route of road, hard pack trail and muddy tracks and they’ve been superb.

emsz
    Free Member

Was going to suggest Innov8 Talons. I use them but only off road mad grippy, they’re actually OK on the road, (very soft) but they wear out.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I didn’t rate my New Balance.. cheap and comfy but seemed to loose support (to one side!) quickly. Salomon didn’t do the same but also didn’t last as long as hoped (soft tread!)

Oh, YGM Rickon

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i asked about trail shoes on here last year and upon advice went with inov8 talons. my running shoes at the time mild support mizuno. i found the talons ran better, on road too, so now i road run with inov8 roadX255 and all the leg niggles i’d had for the last few years have gone.

dobo
    Free Member

no dont use xtalons on the road.. they are fantastic off road trainers, used them at Tough Mudder today but they are the last thing i would use on the road, although they work ok you can feel the lugs under your feet and will wear down in no time.

mogrim

I love my La Sportivas – got both Raptors and Wildcats, alternate depending. For shorter distances the Wildcats are better…

That said, what kind of footpaths is she running on? If they’re in reasonable condition without too many stones, rocks or mud there’s not much point in getting trail shoes. I spent at least 10 years running off-road using normal road shoes, it was only from last year when I started to hit the properly technical stuff that I decided some more specific shoes would be useful. They’re definitely more comfortable and have better grip, but a lot of the time they’re overkill.

Still, if the Boss has said she wants trail shoes go for it. I’d personally head to a shop and get some that fit properly – far more important than any anecdotal evidence I or anyone else can provide.

allfankledup

Mrs has salomon road to trails – sense mantras or something

Other shoes are available – but these worked for her (narrow neutral)

Waded through the Antonine wall race no problem – no skittering on the rocks apparently

m360
    Free Member

If she’s not really trail running then forget about trail running shoes. Crossing a muddy field isn’t trail running. Trail running shoes don’t have the same cushioning as road shoes, and the treads will wear down super fast on pavement.

The most important feature will be fit, so get to a running shop and try some on. One with a treadmill would be best, so you can give them a proper test.

cr500dom
    Free Member

I have Salomon Speedcross too, and they are great, but do wear quickly on tarmac.
    They are so comfortable I`ve been wearing them for more than just running.

Moses

Shoes have different widths and support patterns for different gaits.
    Go to a running shop with a gait analysis machine, otherwise she could end up damaging her feet. It’s easily worth the extra £20 over mail order.

alanf
    Free Member

Brooks Cascadia are a hybrid trail/road shoe.
    They are comfy and offer good grip off-road while not being uncomfortable on road

stever
    Free Member

These are good (and cheap) if you don’t need any kind of structure and will stand a bit of tarmac. They might start to get a bit overfaced around here in full winter slop. Go up half a size.
    http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/mnt17/montrail-rogue-racer-trail-running-shoes/
    X-Talons are great, but not what you want. If she’s new and not completely tight like me, get to a decent recommended shop though.

surfer
    Free Member

Go to a running shop with a gait analysis machine, otherwise she could end up damaging her feet. It’s easily worth the extra £20 over mail order.

I wouldnt bother with this.

Nike Pegasus are a good shoe excellent on road and grippy enough for paths etc. If you are running through deep mud then pretty much nothing is going to help and anything that is that grippy will be a compromise on the road.

jimjam
    Free Member

alanf – Member

Brooks Cascadia are a hybrid trail/road shoe.
    They are comfy and offer good grip off-road while not being uncomfortable on road

I had a pair of these. Hands down the best “all round” trainer I’ve ever owned.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Trail running shoes for the missus…’ is closed to new replies.