• This topic has 39 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by STATO.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • 'trail pack' magic link pliers
  • porter_jamie

you know the lovely pliers kmc make? does anyone make an occasional use lightweight one which you could stuff in your pack?

Klunk
    Free Member

latex gloves I think you mean 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not seen any but not seen the need, if it’s needing split the chain tool is generally in operation

cokie

Do you mean like these ? Tyre leavers & magic link pliers in one.

stevied
    Free Member

Those ^ look awesome

fasthaggis

mark90
    Free Member

Ordered 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

^ thats very er, clever !

STATO
    Free Member

My concern with that is; If the link is junked up a plastic tyre lever is not going to shift it. If its not junked up you can pop it off with your hands easily. And they look like rubbish tyre levers, so id still be taking a Pedros or TACX levers as well, so what purpose do they actually serve? And why do I need to split the chain at a quick link on the trail anyway!? Much confused.

scud
    Free Member

Short length of gear cable, wrap round and pull in opposing directions (with gloves on) works well

deadkenny
    Free Member

Ended up with Park Tools link pliers. They are at least one plier instead of two different ones for the job of opening and closing like the KMX ones!

Carried them in the pack for a bit, but still too big and I’m trying to get it down to the point of not using a backpack at all for short rides.

On the trail, if the chain snaps, chain tool to break offending link off (mini tool kit), and then use the force (or pedals at least) to click the new link into place.

Other than that I’d be using the pliers for times I actually need to remove the chain. Noting I got it for 10/11sp KMC as they’re much more of a git to remove by hand.

porter_jamie

cunning, i’ll get her indoors to buy if for me for xmas

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

5 sets for 50usd – does anyone else want to link up on a bulk order?

Quicklinks used to come apart manually pretty easily but IME the latest generation *need* mechanical assistance. Someone was carrying a set of pliers on our Basque MTB trip and they got used a surprising amount trailside over the week.

Kahurangi

5 sets of those plastic tyre levers with slots for $50? Sign me right up!

Or more likely, buy some cheap On-One or ebay pliers and take a hacksaw to them 😆

cokie

Quicklinks used to come apart manually pretty easily but IME the latest generation *need* mechanical assistance.

My experience too. These look like pretty beefy tyre leavers, so I’d say worth a shot.

iainc

I have a set of, I think, KMC ones, in my toolbox, which I use a lot. I think they were about a tenner. I have never had the need to split a link on the trail yet though…

rocketman
    Free Member
    Yak

As scud says.
    Nothing lighter.

boggie62
    Free Member

Link pliers are now back in the tool box and a short length of gear cable now in my Camelbak. Top tip that!

leffeboy

Liking the gear cable trick. Off to rest that out

zilog6128

Ended up with Park Tools link pliers. They are at least one plier instead of two different ones for the job of opening and closing like the KMX ones!

Only the new version. I have the originals which only open 🙁 Closing is easy enough though if you rotate the link to above the chainstay, hold the back brake and stamp on the pedal!

Yak

Have a long enough bit of cable to wrap around each gloved hand in case a really firm pull is needed.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I have never had the need to split a link on the trail yet though…

This.

Not seen any but not seen the need, if it’s needing split the chain tool is generally in operation

And this.

STATO
    Free Member

Have a long enough bit of cable to wrap around each gloved hand in case a really firm pull is needed.

Brute force is all very good (and that’s what the tool does), but they work by pushing the plates together then sliding them apart. So I find it easier to just use my fingers 😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

but they work by pushing the plates together then sliding them apart.

IIRC the 9 speed ones did, the 10 and 11 don’t work that way, you need to force them apart, hence being ‘single use’. Although I re-use them.

iainc

nobeeer – the KMC 10 speed ones are multi-use, the 11 are single use

iainc

and I just noticed that the KMC 10 speed links are down to £2.99 at Halfords at the moment !

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

nobeeer – the KMC 10 speed ones are multi-use, the 11 are single use

One can’t quite recall, it’s been soooo long since I had 10 speed Dahling… 😆

iainc

aye right 🙂

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I have never had the need to split a link on the trail yet though…

Nor had I, but managed to mangle my chain somehow whilst riding. Removed bad link and added a quick link but the pin had left a bit of swarf in the chain and I still had a stiff link.

They got used on a couple of other peoples bikes over the week.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I like the look of those levers linked above. But, how do they work?

Looks like they are pressing against the same chain face-plate, and therefore, would be getting nowhere?
    Or does one of each opposing lever face not contact the link on that side?

EDIT* just watched vid in link – I see how it works now. Nice.

deadkenny
    Free Member

iainc – Member 
    nobeeer – the KMC 10 speed ones are multi-use

Some are, some aren’t. I’ve had both kinds from KMC (10sp). I’ve reused them regardless though. The non reusable can be a git to remove.

hainman
    Free Member

might invest in a wee pair of these,couldn’t split the QL on my new chain for love nor money,are 10sp a lot different from 11sp QL’s

Basil

I carry these

Little Squirt

jamiesilo
    Free Member

that’s hard plastic they’re made of! which isn’t the same as strong right enough. but they look good to me.

scaredypants

cut off bit of coat hanger for me

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Seems like a once in a lifetime think (probably happen to me on my next ride now), but wouldn’t a chain link removal tool work on a quick link? I always carry a few quick links on me and they’re pretty light. But then again the dual use tyre levers look quite good as a just in case measure.

bobbyspangles

I carry the bbb chain link tool. Anyone who doesn’t understand the need to carry one of these tools obviously has not had to fix a 10,11 or 12 chain on the trail

TomB

Fella on my mtb leader course carried bent spoke (a bespoke spoke?) that worked really well to open quick links. He’d bent it in half then added a kink on each side too grip the link.

STATO
    Free Member

bobbyspangles – Member

I carry the bbb chain link tool. Anyone who doesn’t understand the need to carry one of these tools obviously has not had to fix a 10,11 or 12 chain on the trail

Ive done plenty of 10 speed fixes (dont have 11 or 12), you use a chain tool to remove broken link, fit split-link, rotate it to top run of chain and press on pedal to lock it in place.

Only time ive had to remove an unbroken chain from a bike while on a ride before was when the mech broke, but the chain was kinked at the same time just used the chaintool to split it. Maybe if your chain was fine and you had a spare mech in your pack also?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘'trail pack' magic link pliers’ is closed to new replies.