Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • 'Traffic Cops' on BBC1 just now… (Not OT)
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

That cyclist in Brighton. What a cock, eh?

Just goes to show where acting clever gets you – £700 fine + over £200 costs rather than a telling off if he’d stopped or a fixed penalty otherwise.

Made me laugh anyway!

mildred

It was hilarious. I found myself willing the Police to nick him.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

missed it but saw identical post in a motorcycle forum, will have to i-player it now!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

He’s a tool, he really is.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

He’s gotta be a STW regular with that attitude.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

So is being drunk in charge of a pedal bike actually an offence?!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Who lives in Brighton and rides a Specailized?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Breath – They didn’t do him for the booze, just 4 other offences I think…

chvck
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure being drunk on a pedal cycle is indeed illegal isn’t it? A guy I know got stopped for being pissed on a unicycle, they didn’t actually charge him though.

retro83
    Free Member

what a nobbert!

breatheeasy – Member
    He’s gotta be a STW regular with that attitude.

If he was a true STWer he would have cried, said ‘yes officer, sorry officer’ then slagged them off on here when he got home

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

breatheeasy – Member

So is being drunk in charge of a pedal bike actually an offence?!

Riding under the influence is – but they have to show you are impaired and unsafe which is not easy. a breathalyser won’t do

breatheeasy
    Free Member

PP – I know, I can’t remember if they quoted that at him, or did he say that to the cops?

breatheeasy
    Free Member

A guy I know got stopped for being pissed on a unicycle

Surely that’s not possible to ride a unicycle with any amount of alchohol in you!!!

Jase
    Free Member

Thought it was a Scott

project
    Free Member

While the cops where nicking primrose, did anyone notice the old grannie wobble past on the shopper bike with no lights.

project
    Free Member

It was a scott

rockhopper70

project – Member
    While the cops where nicking primrose, did anyone notice the old grannie wobble past on the shopper bike with no lights.

I saw that, and and she had a bag of shopping hanging from her bars!!!

WTF
    Free Member

Just goes to show where acting clever gets you – £700 fine + over £200 costs rather than a telling off if he’d stopped or a fixed penalty otherwise.

Bit of a bellend tbqfh but fine handed out seems a bit harsh.

P.S. do you need lights/reflectors on a unicycle at night ?

crashasaurus
    Free Member

chvck

I’m pretty sure being drunk on a pedal cycle is indeed illegal isn’t it?

Might be different here in NI but I’ve spoken to several cops, one of whom was traffic branch and quite knowledgeable. He told me it absolutely was NOT an offence. However, he said that there was an offence – furious or reckless cycling/riding (I think), which can apply to almost any vehicle.

His take was that if you were drunk on a bike and a cop wanted to do you he would find some way of implying that you were cycling aggressively or just do you for “breach of the peace”, the one size fits all crime for troublesome members of the public as he put it.

Andituk
    Free Member

Section 30 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, as amended by the Road Traffic Act 1991, provides the offence of cycling on a road or public place whilst under the influence of drink or drugs. It states:
    30(1) A person who, when riding a cycle on a road or other public place, is unfit to ride through drink or drugs (that is to say, is under the influence of drink or a drug to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the cycle) is guilty of an offence.

The Licencing Act 1872 also makes it an offence to be drunk in charge of a carriage (which includes bicycles), horse, cattle, or steam engine or drunk in possession of a loaded firearm. So don’t do any of those either 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

What the cop in crashasaurus post is getting confused with is its not an offense to ride a bike over the drink drive limit – the offense is as Andituk says

crashasaurus
    Free Member

So to clarify, it’s not an offence to ride drunk, only to be too drunk to be in control of your bike, and or gun?

I reckon I could easily demonstrate my competence whilst drunk on my bike via the medium of the manual and bunny hop.

philconsequence
    Free Member

crashasaurus, please tell me you use the WTB range of tyres such as all-terrainasaurus rex?

DezB
    Free Member

I was offended that they called him a “cyclist”! He was just a pr1ck on a bike.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

He was just a pr1ck on a bike.

Whereas a lot of STWers are nothing of the sort? 😯

deepreddave
    Free Member

His fine was spot on given what a co*k he was BUT £700 compared to £30 and 3 points for Precious Primrose and her lying perverting the course of justice provisional licence with no supervising driver antics is just mad. I’d have thought your insurance was invalid in such circs – hate folk like that as no insurance can be anything but a victimless crime if you mow down the main wage earner in a family and have sod all assets yourself. Means tested fines are bollo*ks too – enforced organ donorship is the way imho. Breathe…..

lowey

He was a cock, but the fine was ridiculous in comparison to the motorists fines.

“The magistrate decided to make an example of him to other lycra lunatics”

Shove it up your arse Theakston.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Did they say what the blokes name was? Might be some fun googling to do

fubar
    Free Member

BUT £700 compared to £30 and 3 points

Would ‘Primrose’ have gone to court for her offences ? He could have had a small fine if he’d accepted it on the street but he wanted to go to court.

D0NK

yeah isn’t £30 fine and points instead of going to court, pretty sure you get more £££s if not points too if you dispute it in court and lose.

Lycra lout/lunatic, hate that phrase, not seen the vid, was the rider actually wearing lycra when he was caught? Most knobs on bikes don’t

deepreddave
    Free Member

fubar – agreed though I was shouting for them to shove him in the van and drive over his bike as he was a complete t*t. I wanted Primrose in court too as she clearly was happy to lie to a PC which surely merits more than 3 points etc. Not withstanding she had her kids in the back etc etc. I really shouldn’t watch these progs as some of the fines etc for traffic offences when lives haven’t been taken but could have been are unbelievable. Have a mate who’s a PC and he’s become immune to it which says it all….

deepreddave
    Free Member

I know it’s been done before but the whole no insurance things is just not taken seriously (especially when the fine’s not a 1/10th of the insurance cost or your vehicle’s worth next to nowt). Gonna go do some work as even I’m bored at my ranting 🙂

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

Agreed PP – Fabulous car crash telly.

A fine demonstration of how to wind up two slightly bored coppers who were trying to prevent a drunk bloke on a bike being sideswiped.

Loved the disagreement about how drunk he was.

A smile and a “yes I’m an idiot and will walk the rest of the way” and he’d have been just warned as well being still alive…

TM

Chris-S
    Free Member

They should have let the bloke on the bike go!
    But I guess because of being in front of the cameras it was their chance for fame
    ‘look guys’ we’ve nicked a cyclist. Big deal !! Go and cop some real criminals next time.

And as for the judge fining him – well the judge is obviously a cyclist hating petrolhead!

Rickos
    Free Member

Did they say what the blokes name was? Might be some fun googling to do

They played it out as he told the Polis. I think he said Richard Hodgkiss, or at least Richard something begininng with Ho…

wwaswas

did anyone notice the old grannie wobble past on the shopper bike with no lights.

she’s a bit of a characeter in Hove, often with her son following on another bike.

She does tend to ignore other road users both on the bike and when walking but, fair play to her, she’s been riding around like that for the 15 years I’ve lived in Hove and seems to be keeping fit.

Chris S – I think they did the right thing – have a word about riding with no lights – him behaving like a complete twunt was what cost him a grand.

cynic-al
    Free Member

‘look guys’ we’ve nicked a cyclist. Big deal !! Go and cop some real criminals next time.

Why should he get away with it? Are you telling me traffic offences don’t matter?

nuke

They should have let the bloke on the bike go! But I guess because of being in front of the cameras it was their chance for fame
    ‘look guys’ we’ve nicked a cyclist.

Did you watch the programme? Certainly not the impression I got. They said they’d have let him go with a ticking off but the guy was being such an belligerent arse about it they did him for the offences he’d committed.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

The classic “go and cop some real criminals” …. title of the programme “traffic police” … gives the game away really, yes they do catch real criminals but their predominant role is to deal with traffic matters.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘'Traffic Cops' on BBC1 just now… (Not OT)’ is closed to new replies.