Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Trading a VW T5 camper for a classic VW Bus, what to look out for?
  • maxtorque

spectabilis

You don’t like them, don’t get it that’s fine you’re more of a performance vehicle type of guy….

Who says i don’t like them?? I’ve (re)built 3 of them, into various states including a flat 6 porsche re-engined one.

They are great fun, but not, imo, a suitable vehicle for everyday in modern traffic conditions or when carting ones precious family around.

If you really want to take the family off on a good outdoors holiday, get a T5, and keep the Splitties / Bays for showing off 😉

spectabilis
    Free Member

Not really answering the original question is it.
    OP.
    I’m sure you’ll find better answers/info on The Samba, VZI Hayburner blogs etc.

Best of luck with your new van/bus, enjoy it.

Moses

My good friend is selling her bus. It’s yellow, that’s all I know.
    She’s spent money on it to get it in good nick, but not used it much in anger…
    Fast sale appreciated 🙂

andyfla
    Free Member

i decided not to go for an old one as I discovered they were discontinued in Brazil as they didnt pass their crash test regulations,

Enjoy !

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

As a campervan owner that’s spent thousands upon thousands on a ’73 bay and rarely had it on the road for more than a few months at at time I can safely say that if you are intending on using it as a regular camper for regular camping trips then the T5 is the way forward.

If you want to spend all of you money for the rest of eternity having it welded, replacing engines and doing half your trips on the back of an AA recovery truck then go for it.

They are classic vehicles that require love, attention and lots of swearing, and are not practical for regular extended trips.

That said I still love mine but if I was going to be camping regularly I’d buy a T5 for that…

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

i decided not to go for an old one as I discovered they were discontinued in Brazil as they didnt pass their crash test regulations,

Yes, your ankles are the crumple zone. Or your knees depending on how much it has been lowered…

VanHalen

I’m not going to say i didnt have the odd, lay underneath and hit it with a hammer to make it start moment or, drat a bolts dropped out where’s a paperclip, or drat i’ve gone to change teh petrol filtr and there is petrol pissing everywhere, or drat the pressed in bit in teh carb had been backfired out – i know i’ll rev the nuts off it to get to refuge and araldite a 5p in the hole, or holy **** my windscreens shattered doing 60 past portsmouth i cant see and i`m in the fast lane, or cripes those wheel bearings are making a funny noise and teh wheels wobbly – best get them changed, or grounding out so hard on a slightly proud manhole cover that the antiroll bar bend back under teh van meaning i had to reverse up a rampy kerb to bend the bugger back so i can actually drive, or swapping engines, gearboxes, dizzys etc. you know the usual stuff.

but it was only mortally wounded and didnt get home on a ‘trip’ once. usually crap happened pissing about in town or was self inflicted.

which is excellent.

like i said you need to keep on top of it. preventative measures. get the carb tuned timing right and a decent electronic ignition and you cure quite alot of general running problems. thrash teh bugger every now and then. keep an eye on yer clutch and gear cables. get new gear linkage bushes (best £30 i ever spent).

I`ve had more recovery breakdowns in my t4! but then i do lot less to it in the mean times. but when it goes wrong its way more hastle.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Old VWs are ace. I’d have one in a heartbeat. In fact, we nearly did 18 months ago after talking about it on and off for about 15 years. In the end, we decided we didn’t want something that was purely ‘cool’ but something that was useable for a family of 4, safe on motorways and reliable etc so we got a ex-demo T5 from a conversion company and haven’t really looked back. I will have an old bus one day though but it’ll be when I’ve given up pissing around on bikes and have something else to use daily….

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

One bad side about T5 ownership is too many people bolting chrome bits and massive wheels onto them and making them look ‘angry’.

postierich
    Free Member

Not gone down that route……….yet 🙂

welshfarmer

Does it have to be an old one. My ex recently sold a “South American import” T2. Was effectively a brand new van (well a couple of years old by the time she sold it). There must be more of them out there.

Edukator
    Free Member

Or painting everything black and adding massive wheels and making them look menacing, Davey. With a winky for our favourite set-building chippy. 😉

tillydog
    Free Member

If you want to spend all of you money for the rest of eternity having it welded, replacing engines and doing half your trips on the back of an AA recovery truck then go for it.

They are classic vehicles that require love, attention and lots of swearing, and are not practical for regular extended trips.

That’s where you went wrong, you see – they like being cosseted and coaxed, and will sulk if sworn at.

alpin
    Free Member

Edukator – Troll

Or painting everything black and adding massive wheels and making them look menacing, Davey. With a winky for our favourite set-building chippy.

who are we referencing here, Edukator…?

(my summer wheels are only 16″…)

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

just revisiting this thread to see what was said about fires and things, because yep i sold the T5 and have coming next week, hopefully in that its going to be MOT willing, a ratty arizona import ’71 tin top microbus de-lux. and i can’t wait!

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Trading a VW T5 camper for a classic VW Bus, what to look out for?’ is closed to new replies.