Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • refused deposit back from used car sale. advice please
  • bobbyspangles

so I viewed a new van and thought I was happy with it. left a £100 deposit and then after sleeping on the idea I changed my mind. The seller then has refused to refund my deposit fully and offered £50 due to his potential loss of sales.
    I think this is a bit out of order. I know its a pain if the ass that I’ve changed my mind so just on here having a moan.
    expensive mistake or what.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What was the condition on the deposit, if it was hold while I get the cash then it’s gone.

Pook

Surely the point of the deposit is that if you pull out he, er, keeps the deposit? Is that not what a deposit is for?

iolo
    Free Member

Pook + 1

Rubber_Buccaneer

Usually that is the idea of a deposit. You commit to buy and the seller doesn’t sell to someone else.

scotroutes

If you’re getting £50 back then don’t complain.

docrobster
    Free Member

I once went to look at s car advertised at a local branch of some car supermarket to find it wasn’t in stock there (despite being told it was when I rang). They asked for £50 to cover their costs of bringing it over the Pennines from wherever it was. I initially paid this then asked for it back later the same day and they returned it.
    This wasn’t a deposit though and I’d not agreed to buy the car. I think if you’ve paid a deposit then the words non refundable are usually attached to it somewhere.

angeldust
    Free Member

Er, that’s the point of a deposit. Why did you think you were paying it?

Why do you think it’s out of order? Have to assume you don’t understand the concept. One of the situations where the customer (or non-customer) isn’t ‘always right’.

Sorry to sound harsh, but accept it as a learning experience…you now know what a deposit is for.

bobbyspangles

the non refundable aspect of the deposit was not discussed and not recorded. But I agree it needs to be chalked up to experience, as I said just having a whinge really.

Smudger666

Turn it around – imagine if you’d gone back with the cash and he’d sold it in the meantime and handed £100 back – you’d have been mightily p’d off.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

I think he’s being reasonable offering you £50 back tbh.
    I bet he’s just as gutted as you are, he’s missed out on the sale.

stumpy01

Yep, as above I reckon you’re lucky he’s given you 50% of it back!

benp1

Yep, £50 is very lucky

it’s a deposit, not a loan

crankboy
    Free Member

if it was not non refundable what on earth was it, it was a deposit not a part payment he has been over generous giving you anything.

ourmaninthenorth

Deposit = non-refundable
    Part-payment = refundable

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Not always…. but in this case I think you will struggle to get a full refund as you viewed the vehicle.
    If you had not seen the vehicle in the flesh as it were but only viewed on line then left a deposit over the phone you are covered by the distance sales act.

mrsfry
    Free Member

I bought a car and have now changed my mind

I couldn’t find any articles that entitled you to a full refund 🙁

aracer
    Free Member

What exactly would be the point of a deposit if you could just go and get it back when you changed your mind?

v8ninety

I think the only way that a refund would be fair is if there was something about the van that was not significantly as described, and that this came to light after you went away. Just that you slept on it is not a good enough reason. A deposit is you agreeing to buy the van. You can’t expect to get it back if you don’t hold up your side of the bargain.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘refused deposit back from used car sale. advice please’ is closed to new replies.