Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Townes Van Zandt
  • anagallis_arvensis

Just discovered, who else have I been missing all these years?

vinnyeh

The names I’d immediately associate with him are Steve Earle, Emmylou Harris and Merle Haggard.

anagallis_arvensis

Never really listened to Emmylou Harris. I shall investigate.

Currently listening to van zandt live album, oaklands or something, its almost paifully good.

loddrik
    Free Member

McRad

nathaneddy
    Free Member

“Townes Van Zandt is the best damn songwriter in the world, and I’ll stand on Bob Dylan’s coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that”
    — Steve Earle
    I like Lucinda Williams — Car Wheels on a Gravel Road (1998). The song “Drunken Angel” is about a friend of hers and Van Zandts’. That is one of my top 5 albums.
    And Gram Parsons is worth it, too.

Markie
    Free Member

Cowboy Junkies are linked with him too (I’d go for the Trinity Sessions or Caution Horses first). And second car wheels on a gravel road as a great album.

anagallis_arvensis

Cowboy Junkies trinity sessions is great but i never got on with there other stuff.

Spin
    Free Member

Townes was a bona fide genius. Shame he’s no longer with us but the light that burns twice as bright burns half as long.

Check out Heartworn Highway (documentary) for a who’s who of the outlaw country scene. Be Here to Love Me (doc about Townes) is also very good if a little sentimental.

Other’s you might like? The recently deceased Levon Helm and Guy Clarke.

Spin
    Free Member

“Townes Van Zandt is the best damn songwriter in the world, and I’ll stand on Bob Dylan’s coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that”
    — Steve Earle

“I’ve met Bob Dylan and his bodyguards, and I don’t think Steve could get anywhere near his coffee table.” –Townes van Zandt

nathaneddy
    Free Member

nice.

Fantombiker

coincidentally was listening to Lucero’s cover of TVZ song colorado girl few minutes ago. Lucero are great band, check out “wasted”. Another fav of mine are Drag the River “live at the starlight”….

CountZero

Also check out Patty Griffin, Shawn Colvin and Buddy Miller, they’ve all worked with Emmylou, and have Townes connections.

nathaneddy
    Free Member

Emmylou Harris, Wrecking Ball.
    I think she’s done some really good stuff more recently, too.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Townes Van Zandt’ is closed to new replies.