Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Towbars – hivemind help please…
  • rogerthecat
    Free Member

Need a towbar fitting to our X-reg Polo 1.0.

Pref to have the caravan electrics – been quoted £279 in VAT by a travelling firm of installers who will come here to fit.

Anyone ever used this type of service and does this seem like good value, always fitted my own to the ageing VW van fleet but this one needs to work and stay attached to the car :oops:?

Thanks, P.

nbt

We paid something around that price last year, witter towbar and dual electrics onto our v50. Went for the mobile installer rather than using the northwest towbar centre to save the hassle of taking the car in.

nickjb
    Free Member

It’s around £100 for the bits and a few hours to fit. Depends if you value your free time that highly. Also, are you planning to tow a caravan with a 1.0, X reg Polo?!

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

It’s around £100 for the bits and a few hours to fit. Depends if you value your free time that highly. Also, are you planning to tow a caravan with a 1.0, X reg Polo?!

Second that!

http://www.pfjones.co.uk

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Also, are you planning to tow a caravan with a 1.0, X reg Polo?!

Possibly a teardrop for accommodation at events rather than take one of the big VW vans – basically a trailer with a roof & a bed.

It’s a company car so not doing this one myself.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

http://www.jimstowbars.net/

these guys did mine recently, cheap, quick and professional.

Spud

Had one put a removal on my new car last year, local, long standing firm but their fitter traveled down from Sheffield. Did on the drive. I’m glad I didn’t watch it all but a top job was done.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Thanks folks – gone for the mobile who quoted £279 inc vat – has to be done professionally for liability on company veehicule and we are just outside Jim’s little red line.

Booked at 3pm this afternoon, Martin the Fitter will be with us at 9am in the morning.

And re time – as the company charges my time out between £350/400 per day it seems like good value, I can just hand him the keys and crack on working.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Update: Martin landed at 11.30 due to urgent job (emergency tow bar install!!)
    He’s been sitting in our car park, under the Polo, beavering away ever since.
    Currently testing the wiring circuits.

Doug
    Free Member

Didn’t know there was a professional towbar fitting qualification.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Doug – Member
    Didn’t know there was a professional towbar fitting qualification.

Pedant! 😉

Anyhoo, Martin has left us with a very smart looking towbar, all wired up and working nicely. Invoice, guarantee and VAT Receipt. Very polite, friendly and efficient. Well worth the extra having him come to us.

Can recommend Towbar Express

iainc

X reg Company Car – that must be some kind of record surely ! 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Towbars – hivemind help please…’ is closed to new replies.