Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 328 total)
  • Touring weekend anyone?
  • ton

everything…..even running water…… 😆

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I also have a set of 32c cross tyres I can pop in the car if anybody needs some.

1st dibbs? (in case Tony tells me the ones I have on are crap) 😉

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve actually just checked, and not only are they only 28, I also realised they’re over 20 years old (haven’t been used for over 10). I’ll pop them in anyway, but wouldn’t rely on them being better than what you’ve got (though they do have a nice low profile tread which should roll well, and don’t seem to be cracking). Depending on what I’m using I might have either 28 road tyres or 35 cross tyres spare as well.

northernmatt

Only alerted to this because of an email from Jim last night on an unrelated thing. Would have liked to have come, thought about driving over for a ride on the Sunday but it’s a bit of a trek and no doubt the other half has some diy related crap planned in for me.

I’ll keep an eye out for the next one, whenever that may be.

ton

couple of places left yet Matt.

chipster

My cold seems to have eased off today, things are looking up.
    Don’t think I’ll be riding Dalbeattie on Friday, I’ll save my legs for Sunday.

Pickers

I’m staying in Dumfries tonight, if I can get to Fridays ride (by bike) is there anyone going there I can jump in with to get a lift to Newton Stewart in exchange for some beer tokens? No worries if not, I’ll head straight across.

northernmatt

I’d love to ton but I’m working Saturday morning so Sunday was the only option but for a day trip it’s a bit too far, 3hrs each way according to google. I’ve bought just the bike for this sort of thing as well. 🙁

piemonster

just a quick heads up, if anyone is interested.
    a few of us are meeting at Dalbeattie trail carpark at 12.30 tomorrow afternoon.
    gonna ride there and then head for the hostel after that.

So is this an alternative to JY at KT? I have tomorrow confirmed off work now, and I’m keen to show off my radical skill set.

stooo
    Free Member

I’ve got a bit of work to do, before I head down from Inners tomorrow… I’m aiming to leave in time for either the DB, or the KT ride… though, I was favouring KT. Can’t guarantee I’ll be there though, but if you see a red skoda octavia estate with a singular swift and possibly my Green Shand Stoater on the roof, then say hi!

ton

I think junky is riding kt. me and my pals are riding dalbeattie cos they have never done it.

piemonster

Ahh, JY at KT sounds like some sort of lubricant anyway.

aracer
    Free Member

Hmm, having checked the info, the blue trail at KT looks a bit more friendly than at DB – has anybody ridden it, and is this pic cherry picking one of the toughest bits?

I could ride that, but it won’t be much fun if it’s all like that – the swoopy singletrack pictured for the other trails looks a lot nicer.

Not that I’ll likely be riding with anybody, but I might as well go somewhere other people are going.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I am Riding KT tomorrow With DONK of this parish
    Aim to be there for 1 as its 3 1/2 hours away
    Red 206 with about 4 X its value of bikes on the tow bar 8)

If anyone wants to meet mail me and I will send my phone number
    Pie – no mail in profile so I cannot mail you

mcmoonter
    Free Member

What is the consensus of the quickest route from Edinburgh or the Forth Road Bridge. Aiming to leave about 5 in the afternoon from Fife.

Google maps is suggesting three routes with about 5 minutes between them.

Thinking A702 from Edinburgh to Abington, M74 to A701 Dumfries, A75 to Minnigaff.

Alternatives are M8 to Glasgow, M77 – A77 Girvan, A714 to Minnigaff, or a version of the first going to Glasgow on the M8 and then down the M74

Trekster

I could ride that, but it won’t be much fun if it’s all like that – the swoopy singletrack pictured for the other trails looks a lot nicer.

That is probably one of the tougher red rock sections, only a few bike lengths long but needs commitment 😉 That whole section is a pain and quite a few folk miss it out altogether! There’s another section similar to that on the Smithland section but it’s slightly downhill and rollable.
    Scree Slope off the Moyle is probably the dodgiest descent on the trail. The Qualifier and Slab are optional, the red Slab bypass is much more fun.
    Was round the trail on Tues.
    Brambles is the cafe beside the house just outside the forest near the toilet block. Drop in, say Hi to Jemma. 😆

Thinking A702 from Edinburgh to Abington, M74 to A701 Dumfries, A75 to Minnigaff.

My normal route in reverse, might be slow with all the various speed limit changes but preferable to motorway stress ❗

Trekster

http://scottishenduroseries.co.uk. Enduro at Ae this weekend

Trail updates usually updated on a Fri;
    http://www.7stanesmountainbiking.com/Kirroughtree
    If thinking about riding @ Kirry, call Sam or Phil @ Breakpad for local shop update.

NB. The police and speed cameras are out in force atm including unmarked Audi & BMW on the A75. There has been a number of serious accidents recently so their profile has increased. Mind your speed and drive safe for a good weekend.
    I usually travel up to Lockerbie and then over to Dfs, avoids all the potholes on the ’75 😉 and most of the hgv traffic 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

Cakes are baked – though they wont reach as far as Minigaff

I have ingredients to bake some more once there though NOM NOM NOM

Thanks for organising all this Big Fella

aracer
    Free Member

thx for the info, Trekster, lots of closures at KT so it looks like I’ll be going to try that. 300 miles and 5 hours for me though (and going to pop in to see my mum on the way), so I’ll be there a bit after most of you lot.

piemonster

Cakes are baked – though they wont reach as far as Minigaff

KT is is then 😀

**note cannot guarantee arrival time***

Junkyard
    Free Member

The red 7stanes trail is affected by Larch tree felling, as there’s timber across then trail in multiple sections. It contains a lot of road riding at the moment.

PIEMONSTER CHANGE OF PLANS AS KT IS CLOSED ON THE RED

RIDING WITH TON NOW @12:30

Trekster

I’ll give you all a wave as you drive past my work!!

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I’m aiming to meet at KT.I’ve looked on the 7 stanes website & it says there’s a lot of work going on but I can’t go to Newton Stewart & miss out a lap of KT!
    I’ll be in a silver Focus & riding a cheapo canti braked greenish Carrera CX bike

piemonster

***redirects to follow cake***

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Looks like DB instead,see you all tomorrow,with or without cakes! 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

goes to make bigger cake

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

goes to make bigger cake

Can you do meat pies please? I’m not really a cake person. (more cake for everyone else then I suppose) 😕

scotroutes

I also looked at Google Maps and reckoned that the M8/M77/A714 option would be quickest for me on account of being in a van. Given I’ll have TJ with me, that 5 minutes less could save my sanity.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Can you do meat pies please?

WHo wants to tell him 😆

Given I’ll have TJ with me

You poor wee thing

Its one way though …he knows that ?

scotroutes

I thought it was a relay and I was just doing the first leg…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

WHo wants to tell him

I’ll take that as either, ‘I have pies’ or, ‘I don’t have pies’

I hope you have pies. 😉

ton

Jim, Junky is a herbivor.

chipster

Junky, cake’s good. I’ve no problem with cake, me.

chipster

Unfortunately, I’ve woken up this morning and my cold’s gone onto my chest.
    Have fun, boys and girls.
    😕

piemonster

Could be worse chipster

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rTexC5]IMG_20150417_115123560_HDR[/url] by piemonster, on Flickr

I blame Scotroutes

chipster

Piemonster, what’s happened? Van broken?

That’s not worse, not by a long way.

It looks a lovely blue sky.

piemonster

Brake discs are gubbed. Which happened last time I’d planned a weekend of bikes and Scotroutes was involved. He’s cursed I tell ya.

Either that or my car is at an age where things start wearing out.

But as you say, the sun is out. I have a bike and a car available for tomorrow.

chipster

About a month ago, the wife said “When you go biking to Scotland, I’ve invited my mum for the weekend.” 😕

piemonster

Weather was crap
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/sd6L1B]IMG_20150418_145248329_HDR-PANO[/url] by piemonster, on Flickr

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 328 total)

The topic ‘Touring weekend anyone?’ is closed to new replies.