Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 328 total)
  • Touring weekend anyone?
  • chipster

I’m riding over to Temple Newsham this aft, Ton, it’ll have to do.

scotroutes

That Tomintoul loop really was all about cake then?

stooo
    Free Member

This is getting close now! Excited face 😀

I’ll be bringing my charge filter as a spare bike, and offer still stands if anyone needs anything more rough road ready. It’s a sm/med … I’m 5’8″

Stuart AT biggestjourney.com

aracer
    Free Member

Are there still any last minute spaces? I reckon I might be able to make it, can probably get a pass out, and more importantly reckon there’s a chance I might manage to cope fitness wise.

A cx-bike would be most suitable presumably?

ton

places still available. email in my profile anyone who is interested.

Junkyard
    Free Member

It would be good if you can aracer 😀
    I am doing it on a road bike [ with bigger tyres] or a borrowed bike from someone here …see above though I may just need wheels tbh as I have a road bike .
    TON is there just one fire road because if there is no proper off road I will do it on my road bike and just take it easy

Ton what Trail centre on Friday and rough meet time
    What facilities are there at the place?
    I want an oven or else i just wont be able to make cakes when i get there 😥
    I will get the ingredients so if anyone has any requests for cakes post them up.

My training has consisted of agreeing with DONK we will do a slightly shorter ride next Tuesday as a we taper for the big day 😉

Looking forward to this

chipster

Mmmmmmm, cake.

ton

there is a oven in the place…..even hot water too.
    the forest tracks are passable on road or touring tyres…..if not we can all walk together.
    the place is open from 5pm. I will check this and let you all know for sure.
    postcode for the place is DG8 6PL

not sure about doing a trail center yet. I might try and do blencathra on the way up.

scotroutes

Aye. Right.

piemonster

Ahhh, the bike choice debate continues

piemonster

That Tomintoul loop really was all about cake then?

Quite often it’s also about Pies

scotroutes

Do we have final numbers yet? I’m bringing a gift from the Spey Valley and need to know how many, err, portions are required 😉

ton

21 of us i think. and maybe a couple meeting us to ride but not staying.

scotroutes

Oops. I might need some more supplies!

piemonster

I don’t think I have the social skills to interact with 21 different people.

aracer
    Free Member

Don’t worry, none of the rest of us do either, so we won’t be trying to interact with you

chipster

I’m now hoping that this wheezy cough I’ve started with today isn’t manflu.
    😕

piemonster

Don’t worry, none of the rest of us do either, so we won’t be trying to interact with you

Thank goodness for that 🙂

piemonster

I seem to have gained a day in liue, did somebody mention something about a trail centre Friday?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes I am and DONK are definitely riding one on Friday- I assume one of the 7 stanes arriving from the North

I have no idea which is the best but not Ae as we have ridden that
    We will be on MTB and all welcome.
    Assume we will be there before 12 and assume either Mabie or Dalbeattie – will be coming up the A75 . More likely Dalbeattie

DONK plans to ride one Sunday but I reckon a short pootle round kirroughtree Saturday is more likely

Any of those three should be ok for us time wise
    Any locals any knowledge as to which is best ?

Anyone lend me some tyres for a 700c bike that are not
    1. Knobbly
    2. 23 c

Ta

chipster

I’m game for Dalbeattie, but I’ll not get there before 1pm. Google Maps is saying 182 miles, 3hours 15mins.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I don’t think I have the social skills to interact with 21 different people.

I have to interact with 50 idiotic prisoners & another nutty staff member every day, you lot however, may be a new challenge.

scotroutes

[i]After[/i] the other ride? I didn’t think there would be time due to the various pie/cake/beer stops.

midlifecrashes

Junkyard, are Marathon Extreme DD in 700 x 40c any good to you? Won’t go in a racing frame but should be fine on a crosser or 29er.

scotroutes

Or some Marathon Mondials – 1.75″….
    Specialized Houffalize (not particularly knobbly, honest) 32c

stooo
    Free Member

I’ll probably be heading over Friday morning, to get a ride in on Friday afternoon… Up for riding with others.

In my opinion, KT is the best in the area… Mabie is second for me. Dalbeatie in third… Is good, very bumpy, and very pedally.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’ve a pair of 700c small block 8s you could have fella?

Junkyard
    Free Member

OK KT @ 1 pm Friday for a MTB ride setting off at 1:30 ?

I am 3 hr 30 mins away so it leave some room for delays on the journey???

I will measure my [ROAD] Frame and see what the max size is – wont be 40 c
    Well front will be much bigger than rear – not sure a 32 c will fit

Thanks for all the kind offers though.

stooo
    Free Member

@Junkyard … I should be good for meeting for KT on Friday. If you want tyres for the road bike, I’ve got a pair of specialized armadillo you can have… Think they’re 25s, though they might be 28s. Better than what you’ve got just now anyway!

piemonster

Well, if I get Friday off. I’m likely to turn up on a 29er with Race Kings. So I’d probably stop worrying.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I had not even started worrying about you 😉

Aye worst case scenario i will be on road tyres but i wont die.

scotroutes

You will die.

Just maybe not next weekend.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Only a maybee…….I am not stopping long enough for my health index to reach the levels of the natives 😉

I do have a shopping list of things that I do miss…plain loaf topping the list

piemonster

Fantastic news for me this morning. All my hard training work is paying off and I’m now officially overweight on my BMI.

I was worried I wouldn’t hit my target for the weekend so 8)

ton

overweight on the bmi scale would mean I was the fittest I had ever been. 😀

chipster

11-36 XT cassette, a new chain and an old 9 speed XT rear mech fitted.
    Check.
    Conti Hard shells off, Schwalbe Marathons on.
    Check.
    Now, about this cold I’ve picked up 😕 Fingers crossed it’s gone on Friday.

aracer
    Free Member

So what tyres for…

Do people have mudguards on their bikes? How low a gear do I need? Last minute decisions here…

I actually have two working bikes which will probably be suitable (can bring both if anybody still needs one, and likes drop bars). The “winter” road bike which has a triple, mudguards, a rack but only 25c tyres. Or the CX bike which has a road double and MTB cassette (39-32 bottom gear), no guards or rack, 35c cross tyres. I may well be swapping some bits over, but the simplest swap of putting the cross wheels on the other bike probably wont work as it has caliper brakes, so not enough clearance (it’s also got one less cog – I’m talking 8 and 9 speed here rather than anything modern!) I do have some wheels with the right number of cogs and 28c tyres which would fit. But then the position on the CX bike is a bit more touring…

I also have a set of 32c cross tyres I can pop in the car if anybody needs some.

One other thing I don’t think I’ve seen mentioned, what are we doing for food (evenings and lunches), wondering what I need to bring?

ton

just a quick heads up, if anyone is interested.
    a few of us are meeting at Dalbeattie trail carpark at 12.30 tomorrow afternoon.
    gonna ride there and then head for the hostel after that.

food wise, there is a huge kitchen to do your own thing, or the pub does good meals. also a curry house in the town.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m going to be heading up fairly early, but have a long way to come so won’t be there that early. Also not planning on bringing a proper MTB. Though if Dalbeattie has a blue trail (which I should be able to ride on something I’m bringing) I might pop in on my way and maybe see you there. Some of you should be able to work out what to look out for…

D0NK

food wise, there is a huge kitchen to do your own thing,

fridge and pans too?

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 328 total)

The topic ‘Touring weekend anyone?’ is closed to new replies.