Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Touring tyres?
  • epicsteve
    Free Member

After a couple of punctures in the last fortnight with the original Nutrak 700×28 tyres I’ve decided I want something better on my Roadrat.

Given I’m intending to use if for a bit of touring I was thinking about going with something wider so what would you recommend? I was thinking possibly something like the Specialized Brough CX tyres in 700×42 – I don’t recall any issues with the Brough’s when I had my Tricross.

The bike gets used on road but also on tow-paths etc and sometimes roughish trails.

sambob
    Free Member

Schwalbe marathons are very puncture proof and pretty tough, my dad’s been down Jacob’s ladder and the Beast on his at 70psi and had no punctures.

TheSanityAssassin

Schwalbe Marathon or Marathon Plus.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    markenduro
    Free Member

marathon plus in 700×32 flavour, grip well, last ages and fairly puncture proof

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

I used to use Panaracer Paeslas but the side walls are very thin so now I use Schwalbe Marathons like everyone else.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I am a big fan of the various conti touring tyrs for their puncture proofness – they have a replacement guarantee if punctured.

I have used sport contact and travel contact ones

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/citytouring.shtml

jimc101
    Free Member

Currently using Schwable Marathon Dureme 700x35c, did 300km on the road a week ago on a Salsa Vaya, and kept up easily with everyone else I was riding with, and they were all on 23c & 25c tires

Have also taken them off road on canal tow paths, in the dry, and performed fine there as well.

iainc

I have Borough cx 32’s on my cross/road bike and they are great – fast on the road, ok on the looser stuff. Most of muy riding is on the road, albeit c class stuff. Since getting them a yr ago I haven’t felt the need to put my Bonty Racelite’s on again..

Stoner
    Free Member

as TJ, Ive had great performance from Conti Top Touring 2000 (5,000km, 0 punctures)

EDIT: looks like theyre discontinued but the touring contact seems to be similar. 32c BTW.

ton

michelin world tour
    £5.95 fron crc……………..wot’s not to like.

Dangerboy
    Free Member

I’ve got schwalbe marathon plus on my commuter, they’re not light but they are tough essentially indestructable. And they’ve got reflective sidewalls, if that makes a difference…
    They seem to be lasting well too.

fasthaggis

I was going to give these a go on my cross bike

epicsteve
    Free Member

Thanks for that. Given the number of recommendations I’ll definitely give the Schwalbe Marathons a look.

ampthill

Panaracer Paeslas

they role brilliantly

Peyote
    Free Member

I got a set of Schwalbe Marathon Pluses a few months ago too, great tyres, as previously said pretty much bomb proof and don’t roll badly for a protected tyre.

When I was sold them the Chappy in the shop mantioned something about the reflective sidewalls being a legal requirement in some EU countries, not sure of the truth of this, but thought it worth mentioning in case you were planning on International touring.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve got some 700×35 Marathon Pluses ordered. I was thinking about going with something wider but I reckon those will be fine for the sort of stuff I’m planning.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Touring tyres?’ is closed to new replies.