Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Toughest climbs…
  • Nezbo
    Free Member

Ok sorry, I mean for a road bike not mtb.

I have had an email saying my new road bike will be built around the 24th and watching the Tour of Britain and it got me thinking what/where is the toughest climb near where I live…

By where I live, I mean in Lancashire.

(if you have a link to google maps that would be good)

donsimon
    Free Member

Get across to Harlech and ride around the castle a few times. 😆

TheSanityAssassin

Holme Moss?

Find it yourself though, it's big enough.

cheers_drive

Having just done the North Devon Black Rat I could say there are some pretty tough climbs on Exmoor. Countisbury Hill and Hookway hill both come to mind but there were others I don't know the name of. Haven't ridden Porlock hill but that's bound to be even tougher.

Starrman28
    Free Member

Has to be Hard Knott, ridden it once. It's the only time random people clapped me as I rode past. Porlock is also a brute but not near as bad as HK.

Nezbo
    Free Member

I have heard about Hard Knott, so might give that a go 🙂 just need to find where it is. cheers

steve_b77
    Free Member

What about the Kirkstone Pass and Mow Cop?

trailmonkey

Got to be Hard Knott, Wrynose or the Struggle ?

samuri
    Free Member

All three. They're in the lakes mate.

Harlech castle climb is supposed to be the steepest in Britain.

Nearest to you though will probably be Rake Hill in Ramsbottom, 30% in places.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=rake+hill&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

My driveway – 35%!

Plan to do Mt Ventoux at some stage. Heard that's tough.

donsimon
    Free Member

Just found the page for Wales.

I used to try the climb from The Rum Hole (Twtil)many years ago on a Sturmey Archer 3 spd (young and foolish)with my cousin, generally got to the first right hand bend, then walked.
    Can't remember ever trying Ffordd Pen Llech, to Castle Cottage, but I guess we must have.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

depends where in Lancashire you are

Holme Moss and Deepdale are a good climbs but technically are in Cumbria

Tatham Fell, Bowland Knotts and Boundary Fell in the Trough of Bowland are good (latter is pretty short)

Hardknott, Wrynose, the Struggle, and Honister are all classic Lakes climbs.

DenDennis
    Free Member

I REFER YOU TO THIS!

should be a good start!

Andy-W
    Free Member

Holme Moss in Cumbria you sure about that ??

A nice loop, park at Langsett Barn and go over the Strines to Ladybower, then onto Castleton and up Winnats Pass, back to Ladybower and over the Snake Pass to Glossop and finish off with Holme Moss then back to Langsett(70miles)… then jump on the MTB and pop over Cut Gate 😉

MrSparkle

Neil – have a look at the route for the Fred Whitton, there's a few steep 'uns there. Local to you, apart from the Rake @ Rammy, is Whalley Nab.

uplink
    Free Member

As above, the Lakes passes are pretty tough
    There are one or two in the Dales that I suffer on [it doesn't take much mind]
    Park Rash always hurts

Russell96

Bwlch y Groes from the Dinas Mawddwy side

zangolin
    Free Member

Hard road climbs I can think of in Lancashire:
    Jeffrey Hill side of Longridge Fell(T of Bowland)
    Nick O'Pendle

Other UK tough climbs:
    Wrynose Pass
    Hardknott Pass
    Winnats Pass
    Gospel Pass

warton
    Free Member

for me nothing comes close to hardknott. those final switchbacks are brutal, and then that straight ramp to the top when your legs have turned to jelly. very tough indeed (especially on a double!)

Mow cop is steep, but the steep final bit is so short you can just bury yourself to get up it.

winnats is hard going too, but not as bad as Hardknott IMO.

going up crawleyside bank in stanhope this weekend, only been down it before, so thats going to be another one ticked off, look crazy in places.

Waderider
    Free Member

Bit odd people can discuss UK climbs and omit Scotland. Jealousy perhaps? Granted though, some Lake District passes are steep.

This is a good site.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Pass of the Cattle (can't remember the Gaelic) in Applecross, Scotland. C+ did a bit about hills a month or two back. There is also a book with many in.

samuri
    Free Member

Bit odd people can discuss UK climbs and omit Scotland. Jealousy perhaps?

eh? You're aware we can just drive across the border into Scotland and go to these places?

The reason the lakes passes are being discussed and not the Scottish ones is

a) The OP wanted somewhere near to Lancashire
    b) The lakes passes are typically, much steeper than virtually all off the Scottish ones.
    c) The OP asked for the toughest climbs, even the (presumably mostly Scottish) people reviewing the Socttish climbs only rate them as two stars, the Lakes passes are rated as three.

HTH.

Waderider
    Free Member

And the reason I mentioned UK is because subsequent posters tagged their lists as UK. But thanks for your sage advice anyhow.

trout
    Free Member

What about Fleet moss that a nice long one uphill all the way from skipton and into a headwind.
    and then 70 mph down into Hawes

uplink
    Free Member

Chips with everything 😉

CaptJon
    Free Member

Sandhill -> The Side -> Dean St in Newcastle 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

well it was hardly sage you could have worked that all out for yourself.

ton

i recently rode a nice little circuit in the dales
    started in kettlewell, rode to buckden, up the climb to cray,
    down to askrigg, up oxnop scar, up the valley and up buttertubbs,
    down into hawes, up fleetmoss and a awesome awesome awesome descent back to kettlewell.

proper tough route with 4 massive climbs. enjoy 8)

robinbetts
    Free Member

Another vote for hard knot and wrynose, you get to do them back to back. Head from eskdale toasted wastwater.

crazy-legs

Head into a bookshop or bike shop and buy this:

Great little book. Whereabouts are you anyway, Lancashire is a big place!

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Hardknott is pretty nasty. Have done it twice. The first time i was out of the saddle, in my easiest gear and wondering if i was going to make it, when a local roadie passed me, sitting down and making it look like it was flat. 👿

For general toughness, the fred whitton route is a good with all the big lakes passes.

Gordymac
    Free Member

Pass of the Cattle (can't remember the Gaelic) in Applecross, Scotland.

Bealach Na Ba 😉

skidartist
    Free Member

Plan to do Mt Ventoux at some stage. Heard that's tough.

Its big but its not severe. Its one consistant gradient all the way up (apart from a brutal kick up at the end) so once you are in a rhythm you just chug up it. The wind or the heat can be what makes is a challange. I'd say lakeland roads or the roads around hebden are much, much tougher, but they are tough for a shorter climb.

That said, its a ride you will never, ever forget

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Toughest climbs…’ is closed to new replies.