Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Tough rear wheel help please
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Looks like the rear wheel on the tandem is just about knackered. Its a hope big un with a 721 rim built with single gauge spokes.

the hub ratchet ring has lost a tooth although it still works and as its ten years old no more ratchet rings are available ( I am somewhat disappointed in this from hope) the rim has several dings and buckles in it.

so – the wheel needs to be a very tough hub that can take a lot of impacts, the freehub needs to be very strong to cope with the torque we put thru it and a tough rim as well – all while not being too heavy 🙂 Far prefer a silver rim as well

chris king tandem special hub is outrageously expensive, shimano tandem hubs we just destroy

any thoughts?

jam-bo

Another 721? I’ve got one on a bulb hub that has been missing two spokes for as long I can remember with no I’ll effect.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

New hub needed as well. 145 mm oln

ojom
    Free Member

What shimano hubs have you destroyed in 10 years of using a hope hub then?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have not used the hope for ten years – around 5 or 6 – but it was old stock I bought.

Before that we had the top of the range shimano tandem hub. 3 freehubs failed, 2 sets of bearings in a couple of thousand miles. the shimano tandem hub simply is not up to the stresses of off-road use HFo8 IIRC

bigyinn
    Free Member

Hope that ratchet rings for XC hubs are still available, i need one as I’ve lost a tooth on mine too.

cynic-al
    Free Member

There must be tandem fora with lots of expertise?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Only a small international one for MTB tandems in English that is mainly americans – I have asked on there of course. Teh only ones no one breaks are Chris king tandem specials (£500ish) and rohloffs

cynic-al
    Free Member

there’s your answer then, buy that, keep running the Big’un…or experiment?

http://www.tandems.co.uk/news.php?articleid=54

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Anyone used DT swiss hubs? Been recomended their tandemhub – 540

smiler

We killed a (Cannondale branded) DT tandem hub about 10 years ago. The fixed bit of the star ratchet screwed into the hub body, and we drove it in until it split the body.

No idea if the design has changed since then.

Real shame if Hope have no big ‘un ratchets left – looks like we’ll be in the same position as ours was jamming up last time we were out on the tandem. Our rear spacing is 135/140, so will have more choice than you though.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

smiler – I am trying to get hold of a bulb hub as its the same ratchet and hope will swap em for me

Jeffus
    Free Member

Tandem hubs

did a quick search came up with site above

Trekster
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Jeffus – ta but no use – only suitable rear hub is the too weak shimano
    terekster – I have int eh past – he cannot recomend a hub

druidh
    Free Member

Get a Shimano one and just keep getting it replaced under warranty?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

with a walk home every couple of rides? the failures were too frequent and annoying – ruined several rides. Its just not strong enough

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

just bought a 721, i expect big things.

tandemwarriors

Will be in exactly the same position soon TJ, the ratchet ring in our Big Un was replaced a few years ago but is getting a bit tired. NOS Big Un’s have appeared on eBay recently, or as you suggest a bulb to get the ratchet ring from.
    I’ve been considering a Nukeproof Generator wheelset. I know they’re not tandem specific, but might be worth trying at reasonable money. Agree the King and DT hubs are serious money, the new Hope hub from JD Cycles might be middle ground to go for, through 40 holes seems a bit overkill? 36 spokes have never let us down.

Rob

MrKmkII
    Free Member

TJ, i once had a set of big un wheels. the front wheel is here, the rear MAY still be at my folks. would you be interested in it for spares? no idea what shape it’s in, though it has the shortened axle for hope’s old disc caliper designed for frames without mounts. let me know and i’ll see if i can get my folks to find it, can’t promise owt though!

Oh, and this is the ORIGINAL big un, the massive ones, not the smaller, more reasonable ones that came along later. imagine the freehub remained unchanged for either.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

how about getting BETD to knock you up a hub? i know they dont have a tandem goldtec listed, but i do know they do 1 offs.

http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/manufacture.asp

JRTG
    Free Member

Has anyone found a good tandem parts source? Lots of googling has found a few uk suppliers but very minimal stock and sizes. Any european ones you can recommend?

tandemwarriors

Has anyone found a good tandem parts source?

The only tandem experts we’ve found in the UK are JD Cycles in Ilkley. They know their stuff and have demo tandems, including a Ventana ECdM, which is what convinced us to buy ours.
    Been tandeming 15 years now and the best source of info is the Yahoo group Double Forte, which I suspect is the forum TJ was referring to.
    The only things we’ve ever needed to be tandem specific are cranks, but then we broke that rule by building our own drivetrain that did what we wanted it to do.
    The only rule we’ve followed is to avoid light kit, buy components that will survive a tactical nuclear strike, because on a tandem you can’t wheelie/hop/unweight over anything, just bash through it. That’s how we’ve ended up with zochhi 66 forks, D321 rims on Big Uns, DH bars & stem, Hope Ti6 brakes.

Rob

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

sjs cycles do a lot of tandems but unfortunatly are road biased and refuse to use disc brakes so only good for some parts

MrK mk11 – you have mail

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

What do folk think about using 40 hole hubs? the new hope hub is 40 hle but is that not limiting in choice of rim?

tandemdazzler
    Free Member

The Only wheel that seems to handle is the chris king hub. I’ve used white indusry wheels & had to rebuild every 12 months. I know chris king cost a lot, but they are worth it. we race our tandem & take it on down hill courses. the wheels are tough.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Why 40H?…you’ve not had problems with your build, just the hub?

I’d guess you’d limit rim choice a lot too as you say.

tandemwarriors

40 hole does seem overkill. 36 spokes on a big un has done us (and you) perfectly well, and we ain’t a light team. I’m even considering building a less burly pair of wheels on 32 hole hubs with a strong rim.
    IMHO it seems 40 hole is traditional for tandems, therefore that’s what we should use and what people make. Experience says 36 hole is fine with improvements in rim, hub & spoke design & materials.

Rob

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

Why 40H?…you’ve not had problems with your build, just the hub?

I’d guess you’d limit rim choice a lot too as you say.

TandemJeremy – Member

What do folk think about using 40 hole hubs? the new hope hub is 40 hole but is that not limiting in choice of rim? 🙄

The new hope tandem hub is only available in 40 hole – I did ask jd tandems about it and they gave it a glowing review saying it was very strongly built and most importantly had a deeper engagement for the pawls – the week point on the big un

Just seems to me not to be many rims available in 40 hole

cynic-al
    Free Member

😳

what rims are about in 40H then?

druidh
    Free Member

Just use a 36 hole rim? You could come up with a clever lacing system….

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/32-hole-hubs-can-i-use-24-hole-rims

cynic-al
    Free Member

I almost suggested that 😉

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Tough rear wheel help please’ is closed to new replies.