Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Totalwomenscycling article
  • portlyone

I’d never wear pink while out riding. Salmon on the other hand…

hammyuk
    Free Member

emsz – Member
    I have actually ridden my bike in leggings and FM heels, only once though!!

You realise this is worthless without pics Emsz……

Clover

I used to ride my bike in that London in merino tights and a crotch length skirt, anything longer got in the way. Oh and toe clips worked fine with any of my shoes…

It was before cycling was popular, I’d never heard of cycle clothing (or mountain bikes) and the only people to race on the way to work were the couriers.

Must be getting old!

Karinofnine

I suppose I should be upset but I’m not, she’s totally fake, airbrushed, not real, not me, not any part of any scenes of the world I, or anyone I know, inhabit.

I might buy the top if it was a fiver – I’d use it in the winter as a layer under something… the problem would be if I got knocked off I’d run the risk of embarrassment when the paramedics saw it.

But mostly I am interested to know whether Assos really, really believe that a too-thin model wearing wet-look leggings and high heels is going to appeal to women. What cocaine-fuelled ad-agency genius dreamt it up? On what level does the advertising connect with cyclists? Oh well, maybe it’s a joke… or maybe Swiss women DO ride their bikes dressed like that?

What I do know is that I certainly won’t be springing north of a hundred quid on a top that looks like a 1980s soft furnishing design.

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

Never been slated on the trail. Chatted up (badly) yes!

Agree with most of the comments regarding ASSos. Use cyclists, not models, to advertise kit. So we can see what it might look like on, y’know, a real body.

hammyuk
    Free Member

littlemisspanda – Member
    So we can see what it might look like on, y’know, a real body

😉

clubber
    Free Member

So we can see what it might look like on, y’know, a real body.

This is a great ideal but experience says that that doesn’t work. And that’s not specific to women. Most men buying cycling kit have nothing in common with the gritty Rapha models or whatever other brand they buy and would likely be put off buying kit advertised with approaching middle age models with a bit of spare padding.

By all means, a bit more realism but ‘real-world models’ is never going to happen.

Though on that point, I thought it was quite a positive thing when a fashion mag (can’t remember which one) that Mrs Clubber was reading had a fairly substantial section of ‘cycling fashion’ that covered all bases from full on lycra to floral dresses designed for cycling but not looking like cycling kit. The point being that it was being sold as mainstream fashion rather than something odd people who like to ride bikes might want.

MSP

Widening it out a bit, the worst portrayal of women in magazines is in “women’s magazines”, written by women for women.

Houns

I don’t think the model is too thin, and Rapha do use real cyclists in their adverts……. Well the women look normal but the men just look like total roadie/hipster/dickhead cross

clubber
    Free Member

Yes, but you’re the one who posted about losing 6lbs for a gf a while back. We all know you’re a complete tart with body issues, Houns 😉

Houns

?? Not me, no idea what yer on about (the 6lbs bit, agree I’m a tart 8) )

emsz
    Free Member

MSP that’s a whole thread by itself!! Lol

Clover

Widening it out a bit, the worst portrayal of women in magazines is in “women’s magazines”, written by women for women.

Hmm, I feel guilty as I work in (a tiny way in) fashion. Just tried to strike a small blow for not bowing to the fashion orthodoxy that only skinny young models sell clothes. We’ll see whether it works.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Totalwomenscycling article’ is closed to new replies.